Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Brighton & hove busses.

Coalburner

May 22, 2017
Buss is also a word meaning "to kiss" so busses IS a proper word, but not in the context of bus travel

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
Bring back the open top buses on random routes. Nothing better than waiting for your regular bus and an open top shows up. Lovely!

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Return to 30' interval pre Covid service on the routes that venture into Kent, and similar interval service on on those services on Sundays.

And return to an every 30 minute frequency on the Stagecoach 17 from Brighton to Horsham. Hourly since the start of the pandemic, and even now the service is sporadic with buses being cut from the shedule at short notice.

The Sunday service which was operated by Sussex Coaches, (three buses a day in each direction), has now been axed completely. Cowfold is cut off from the outside world every Sunday!

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria

Thank you, saved me pointing it out.

#teampedant :p

Good luck with a challenge when playing Scrabble.

While you may not like busses it is a valid archaic variant.

Buss is also a word meaning "to kiss" so busses IS a proper word, but not in the context of bus travel

Busses is, as [MENTION=20527]studio150[/MENTION] says, a proper word in the context of bus travel. Just not commonly used.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/words-at-play/plural-of-bus#:~:text=The%20plural%20of%20the%20noun,an%20error%20to%20many%20people.

https://grammarist.com/spelling/buses-busses/

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
Does anyone know if the grant is for all companies which have routes in Brighton and Hove or just to the company that bears that name? Incidentally I noticed when in Crawley last week that all the Metro buses are registered as Brighton & Hove Bus and Coach Co., Conway Street, Hove. Perhaps a single company allocation could also benefit another locality?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Did you know that the bus' wheels go round and round? And so do the buses' ???

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Schedule them so 3 turn up every 45 minutes or so.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Ticket holder only buses. Mobile, paper or card. No amateurs or Friday night specials.

Give some of it to Stagecoach so they can send their drivers on a “how to paste on a fake smile and pretend to be mildly ****ing pleasant” course.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
It appears it's all ring-fenced by an 'Enhanced Partnership' between the LTA (the council) and the bus companies. Each LTA had to make a pitch to how they though they could improve their systems, and bid for funding accordingly. Those with the appropriate plans got their money from central Government.

Brighton & Hove Buses talked about this a year ago when they were approached about it - and one of the issues they mention is bus fares, and how to keep them in check. The story is here... https://www.buses.co.uk/brighton-hove-and-metrobus-appear-englands-first-ever-national-bus-strategy

... though the irony is that a sidebar story on the website then talks about a price increase. Textbook.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Roll out a fleet of hydrogen fuelled buses. This will kick start the move to a local Hydrogen economy. No point fannying around with Hydrogen, it is either all in or don't bother.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Does anyone know if the grant is for all companies which have routes in Brighton and Hove or just to the company that bears that name? Incidentally I noticed when in Crawley last week that all the Metro buses are registered as Brighton & Hove Bus and Coach Co., Conway Street, Hove. Perhaps a single company allocation could also benefit another locality?

Brighton & Hove Bus Co. and Metrobus are ostensibly the same company, both owned by the Go Ahead group.

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
B&H buses are generally excellent. Do have to laugh at the coaster hybrid fleet trying to make it up hills though, not a lot of oomph in them - can any drivers confirm?

Seaview Seagull

NSC Patron
Mar 1, 2021
Brighton & Hove Bus Co. and Metrobus are ostensibly the same company, both owned by the Go Ahead group.
I could be wrong but I think the money goes to the local authority not the bus company so will be spent in city. However both east and west Sussex have got money too.

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
i'm on buses most days for work and I'm going all over the city

I think generally they're very good and compared to other cities of that size, excellent (miles better than Newcastle for example)

think there is a bit of a problem caused by B+H's geography though. Pretty much all the routes are suburb A to suburb B via the city centre. This is fine if your journey is suburb into the city centre, and generally you can get to the centre from most parts of the city in about half an hour. But if you want to go from suburb a to suburb b it takes AGES. Patcham to Hangleton for example isn't actually very far as the crow flies but would take well over an hour by bus. So I guess one improvement I'd make would be to have routes that go between residential areas bypassing the city centre

Another issue is that, going East there are a lot of routes that go along the coast, there is NOTHING from the Palace Pier onwards going west served by a B+H bus (the 700 cuts down Grand Avenue and goes along the seafront) until you get the 1 which goes down Boundary Road and briefly goes along the seafront before turning up again

Think of how many blocks of flats there are from the Pier to the bottom of Boundary Road- that's a huge amount of people living there with no bus route on their road...not to mention places that people go to- the i360, Hove Lawns, King Alfred, Hove Lagoon etc. I think one route from the Pier going along the coast would be a good addition

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here