Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Brighton & hove busses.

Seaview Seagull

NSC Patron
Mar 1, 2021
I agree that there could be a case for a westbound route along the a259 to cover the pier the beach the i360 etc.

Routes direct suburb to suburb are more problematic though. I doubt that there are many potential passengers wanting to go regularly from patcham to hangleton for example.

It would be better to use money to look at innovation like hydrogen powered bases or dial a ride.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Cheaper fares and more frequent service and less stops to speed up journey times.
Until they can compete on equal terms / convience with cars / taxi's then i won't use them.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Routes direct suburb to suburb are more problematic though. I doubt that there are many potential passengers wanting to go regularly from patcham to hangleton for example.

If you're sent for an x-ray in B&H, you have to go to the Polyclinic in Hangleton - it's a journey that I've done several times. But it would also provide a useful link to West Sussex by allowing people to catch a train at Hove - I'm surprised that only two bus routes serve Hove station - and one of those is every 30 minutes.

Most importantly, a bus route from Hangleton to Sussex Uni - using the by-pass to Dyke Road - would provide fast access to students and to Albion fans.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Improving the live functionality of the app wouldn't be a bad idea. The routes it conjures up are laughable and some of the bus stops shown aren't even in the right place.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
If you're sent for an x-ray in B&H, you have to go to the Polyclinic in Hangleton - it's a journey that I've done several times. But it would also provide a useful link to West Sussex by allowing people to catch a train at Hove - I'm surprised that only two bus routes serve Hove station - and one of those is every 30 minutes.

Most importantly, a bus route from Hangleton to Sussex Uni - using the by-pass to Dyke Road - would provide fast access to students and to Albion fans.

Is there the call for it though, for students, I mean?

If there were a community of student accommodation based in Hangleton, it would be worth it.

Like it or lump it, Brighton & Hove Buses are there to make money, especially for the parts of the Go Ahead group operating in towns where the bus service is used nothing like as much. So they are only going to put in routes that are profitable or, at least, well used. A route from Hove / Portslade Station to Hove Polyclinic wouldn't go amiss, mind.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
Improving the live functionality of the app wouldn't be a bad idea. The routes it conjures up are laughable and some of the bus stops shown aren't even in the right place.

My app always crashes, so it doesn't even get that far.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
Personally, I think it would be a good idea to have a route which just takes in the suburbs to keep everyone connected. A route taking in Hollingbury, Patcham, Hangleton, Portslade, Mile Oak, Southwick and Shoreham would connect everyone in a much easier manner. It would potentially have a knock-on effect of reducing frequency on some of the routes it touches (for example, do you really want to send more buses along Valley Road in Mile Oak, or Mile Oak Road if the route went that way?) and it wouldn't address the need to have a route which goes West along the A259 from the Pier to serve all the way out to Boundary Road on the Hove/Portslade border.

I use it quite often and I have never had these problems at all.

thedonkeycentrehalf

Moved back to wear the gloves (again)
Jul 7, 2003

Are you using the right one? I had this problem and it seems like they now have a new app rather than upgrading the old one.

thedonkeycentrehalf

Moved back to wear the gloves (again)
Jul 7, 2003

If there were a community of student accommodation based in Hangleton, it would be worth it.

Like it or lump it, Brighton & Hove Buses are there to make money, especially for the parts of the Go Ahead group operating in towns where the bus service is used nothing like as much. So they are only going to put in routes that are profitable or, at least, well used. A route from Hove / Portslade Station to Hove Polyclinic wouldn't go amiss, mind.

Not just students though - plenty of people working around the university and would also give access to trains heading east to save people in that area having to get down to Portslade or Hove and then changing at Brighton.

Also, if you stopped at Hollingbury on the way it adds in the shops up there which people might want to use.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

It would provide a further option for students. The council is cutting back on HMOs in Coldean, Moulsecoomb and Bevendean, so they need to go somewhere. There are already services that go from one side of B&H to the other - the 2 goes from Rottingdean to Steyning, for example. It takes 90 minutes though. There may well be people who want to go east to west (and vice versa) quickly, a bus around the top would do that (and cut down on the congestion in North St

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
Not just students though - plenty of people working around the university and would also give access to trains heading east to save people in that area having to get down to Portslade or Hove and then changing at Brighton.

Also, if you stopped at Hollingbury on the way it adds in the shops up there which people might want to use.

All fair points. And if there is a call for it, I am sure B&H Buses would oblige.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
It would provide a further option for students. The council is cutting back on HMOs in Coldean, Moulsecoomb and Bevendean, so they need to go somewhere. There are already services that go from one side of B&H to the other - the 2 goes from Rottingdean to Steyning, for example. It takes 90 minutes though. There may well be people who want to go east to west (and vice versa) quickly, a bus around the top would do that (and cut down on the congestion in North St

I agree there is probably a need for an east-west service that avoids the city centre. The Old Shoreham Road is under-utilised, but is a hot potato - transport policy-wise at present. So the bypass it is.

As for cutting back on HMOs, the council is aware of the shortage of designated student accommodation. As are the developers. Many people are moaning about the new 'student accommodation' blocks springing up all over the city, but the simple point is - developers won't be interested in building them if there isn't the need to fill them. But many people haven't got their heads around that.

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
The Bus service in Seaford I find excellent. The Brighton Coaster 12X/12A service is every 10 minutes and it gives us a good service into Eastbourne or Brighton or just into Seaford town centre. Also we have local services run by either Compass or the Cuckmere Community Bus.
I find the Brighton Bus APP excellent too. I live 5 minutes away from my nearest bus stop and the app always tells me correctly how long before the next bus is due so can walk up to stop at the correct time. Compared to when I lived in East Anglia we have a great service.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
I agree that there could be a case for a westbound route along the a259 to cover the pier the beach the i360 etc.

It would be better to use money to look at innovation like hydrogen powered bases or dial a ride.

Almost certainly not, but hardly anyone now takes say a 5 on the entire length of the route.

A Shoreham road route, would open up routes from the west to 7 dials, preston circus, preston park and routes from the east to bhasvic, hove park, which take probably less than half the time it takes at the moment.

It would be bloody useful for football as well. A route which got you from hove park, to somewhere on lewes rd, would cut swathes of time off a bus trip to the match

Seaview Seagull

NSC Patron
Mar 1, 2021
Almost certainly not, but hardly anyone now takes say a 5 on the entire length of the route.

A Shoreham road route, would open up routes from the west to 7 dials, preston circus, preston park and routes from the east to bhasvic, hove park, which take probably less than half the time it takes at the moment.

It would be bloody useful for football as well. A route which got you from hove park, to somewhere on lewes rd, would cut swathes of time off a bus trip to the match

@%1;

As I understand it the problem with new routes is that they have to be profitable as companies are not allowed to cross subsidise. A route or two avoiding the city centre would be attractive to some but doubtfully profitable.

Your suggestion for match day routes may be a good one but it would need the club to discuss with the bus company.

South west gull

Nov 3, 2021
@%1;

As I understand it the problem with new routes is that they have to be profitable as companies are not allowed to cross subsidise. A route or two avoiding the city centre would be attractive to some but doubtfully profitable.

Your suggestion for match day routes may be a good one but it would need the club to discuss with the bus company.
I love my match trip to the amex 1hr/1hr30 it's the getting back I don't like to west hove

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here