Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Brighton & Hove Albion vs Watford *** Official Match Thread ***

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
Calm down buddy. Personally I'm a bit fed up of the attitude that seems to be growing more prevalent on here whereby anyone that criticises anything to do with the club is told to **** off and support someone else. If you can't handle an opposing opinion, I suggest it is you that is the one in the wrong place being on a football forum. The reason why most of us are so captivated by football is that it is all about opinions and debate so let's not tell each other to **** off when we've won two from two eh?

Personally I think it's reasonable to be concerned that AC can't seem to convert what should be fairly simple chances at this level. He has also not helped endear himself with his embarrassing diving and questionable attitude. Personally whilst I don't think he is cutting it at the moment, I do think he has the talent to play at this level and would like to see him loaned out to the Championship to get regular football and get into the scoring habit again. As others have said, we could be going into Everton with AC as our only recognised first team striker with Andone/Tau likely to be leaving and Welbeck quite fragile. That isn't a good situation to be in.

What I'm pissed off with is when people think we're in the same boat as a top club who can splash the cash on a recognised striker. We're not, it's been done to death, we bring on younger players, get used to it.
I'm so grateful we have a local team to support. I've been through shit times and having shit owners, I'm not religious but the last ten years have been a godsend.
How would some on here have faired if they had to sum up a mid table third division survival season. Come on people, leave the young bloke alone. The manager thinks he's good enough for this team, I'm backing the managers judgement.
Maybe I should **** off as I've become less tolerant of some of the idiotic comments flying around this board

sjamesb3466

Jan 31, 2009
Leicester
What I'm pissed off with is when people think we're in the same boat as a top club who can splash the cash on a recognised striker. We're not, it's been done to death, we bring on younger players, get used to it.
I'm so grateful we have a local team to support. I've been through shit times and having shit owners, I'm not religious but the last ten years have been a godsend.
How would some on here have faired if they had to sum up a mid table third division survival season. Come on people, leave the young bloke alone. The manager thinks he's good enough for this team, I'm backing the managers judgement.
Maybe I should **** off as I've become less tolerant of some of the idiotic comments flying around this board

Don't **** off, sorry if my response was equally intolerant, just like having a good exchange of views with like minded people (or otherwise). Let's face it, if we all felt the same way about everything other than Bissouma is a god, this place would be less desirable to hang around!

I've also seen out darkest times from the Goldstone to this glorious era and whilst I totally get the frustration felt, for most it's only our love and passion for this wonderful club that makes us so desperate to have a striker that may take us to that next level (or at least give us a comfortable mid table season)! Let's face it, whilst Muzza is a legend, the only other striker that has been coveted by others since the Amex era is Ulloa. I think it's just a build up of average striker recruitment over a fairly long period that is frustrating peoping alongside the incoming Ben White money, lots of wages freed up and the continued 'top ten' narrative from the club that has exacerbated the issue. I think most people aren't expecting us to spend £40-50 on a striker but other teams of a similar level are spending £20-30m and after a fair few failed/average £10-20m signings it seems a false economy to keep trying cheap. Appreciate it's been done to death though so do your best to file my into your idiots folder :dunce: :blush:

Hope you enjoy match of the day, at least we're not quite last :amex: :albion2: :bhasign:

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
That first half was in complete contrast to the first half against Burnley. We looked totally in control, fighting for every ball, and dominated the midfield like nobody's business.
It was a joy to behold, yet it was inevitable the tempo would slacken in the second half.
Not that it happens often, that we take a 2 - 0 lead, but I still don't feel that's enough until there's literally a few minutes to go.
I guess it's the Brighton way, but by God, I wish I could relax before that, given the scoreline.
Overall, a good day at the office, bar Maupay's injury, and a massively good start to the season.
That header by Duffy, too.....sublime.
For no real reason (as yet), I feel far more confident this season, than last. Long may it continue. :)

Said on my stream that we've been 2-0 up at half time at the Amex 12 times in the Premier League - and won all 12.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Rubbish you just love to slag off the club at every opportunity
[MENTION=11191]Pretty pink fairy[/MENTION] doesn't have Brighton as his first team anyway.

I think it's Manchester United isn't it, Miss Fairy ?

Last edited:

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
[MENTION=11191]Pretty pink fairy[/MENTION] doesn't have Brighton as his first team anyway.

I think it's Manchester United isn't it, Miss Fairy.
You are joking ?

One of the 2 most obnoxious posters on NSC is an AWAY FAN ?

pocketseagull

Dec 29, 2014
The Maupay goal was the EXACT kind of opportunity that in previous seasons would have been inexplicably skied over the crossbar.

Very exciting times for us Brighton fans.

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
An amazing evening, great result, good goals and I'm sitting with a bunch of decent guys who all got involved in the chat and singing.
One negative from today was being viciously ambushed by a ****ing big spider during the first half. It crawled up the side of my seat, luckily my Spidey senses tingled before it struck a killing blow and I managed to overpower my assailant by flicking it across the West upper. Unfortunately, it landed in some poor fellas lap, him and his Mrs didn't look overly impressed but I think I hid the suspiciousness rather well and got back to enjoying the game undetected.
I hope there aren't too many spiders in European stadiums next season.

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
Might get flamed here but i think Maupay is our answer. Lets hope he is not injured for too long. He has had two seasons in The Premier league, scoring 8 & 10 goals per season whilst being ' not good enough' . In my opinion if he can stay fit enough he will better the last two seasons goal tally by 2 or 3 maybe even 4 goals. Now if he reached the top estimate of 14 goals........which may seem unlikely but possible.....how much does that make him worth?
20 to 30 million? I cannot see any of the so called quoted ' targets ' we are rumoured to be sniffing around eclipsing that number of goals in a debut Premier league season.
Work in progress he may be but Maupay is futher down the road of possessing a 15 goal a season striker than any other player we have been linked with. *

* having said that i think if we could get French Eddy from Celtic for 20million and not break our wage structure i think he would be the player to add a certain Murray type foil for Maupay and would contribute goals as well.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
A brilliant day all round. Yes, there were the minor annoyances of queues everywhere and the likelihood of it being a super spreader event but that's going to be how it is this season. Either you're good with it or you are not. Seeing people I've not seen face to face for about 17 months was awesome, having a beer at a big football match, singing and supporting the club. Normal stuff was back and it felt great. And we won.

As I predicted earlier in the thread we largely kept Watford quiet by going after them but, while we pushed our fullbacks up to an extent, that game was won in midfield. Lallana was able to just drop back and dictate the pace with little 10 yard balls while Bissouma was phenomenal, covering every blade of grass. A top assist for Maupay (see below) but the tackle he put in right in front of the West Lower north end had me on my feet as well. Obviously should have got MotM but nice to see big Shane, who also have a cracker, get the sentimental vote. On that evidence will be a useful squad player this season after all.

Might get flamed here but i think Maupay is our answer. Lets hope he is not injured for too long. He has had two seasons in The Premier league, scoring 8 & 10 goals per season whilst being ' not good enough' . In my opinion if he can stay fit enough he will better the last two seasons goal tally by 2 or 3 maybe even 4 goals. Now if he reached the top estimate of 14 goals........which may seem unlikely but possible.....how much does that make him worth?
20 to 30 million? I cannot see any of the so called quoted ' targets ' we are rumoured to be sniffing around eclipsing that number of goals in a debut Premier league season.
Work in progress he may be but Maupay is futher down the road of possessing a 15 goal a season striker than any other player we have been linked with. *

* having said that i think if we could get French Eddy from Celtic for 20million and not break our wage structure i think he would be the player to add a certain Murray type foil for Maupay and would contribute goals as well.

However, got to agree with this, Hope you don't get flamed and that Maupay comes back quickly. He's a confidence player and gets his goals in batches. Two in two games is as good as any risky 20-30 million striker we could take a punt on. One very heavy first touch yesterday that had me frustrated but otherwise excellent movement and a really nice finish for the second.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004

I don’t think it’s a case of Maupay v someone else it could be someone to play with Maupay. We need to add goals to the team not take them away so if we could get someone who could get 10+ goals our midfield chip in with a few more and we retain our defensive solidity then we are going places

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
A brilliant day all round. Yes, there were the minor annoyances of queues everywhere and the likelihood of it being a super spreader event but that's going to be how it is this season. Either you're good with it or you are not. Seeing people I've not seen face to face for about 17 months was awesome, having a beer at a big football match, singing and supporting the club. Normal stuff was back and it felt great. And we won.

As I predicted earlier in the thread we largely kept Watford quiet by going after them but, while we pushed our fullbacks up to an extent, that game was won in midfield. Lallana was able to just drop back and dictate the pace with little 10 yard balls while Bissouma was phenomenal, covering every blade of grass. A top assist for Maupay (see below) but the tackle he put in right in front of the West Lower north end had me on my feet as well. Obviously should have got MotM but nice to see big Shane, who also have a cracker, get the sentimental vote. On that evidence will be a useful squad player this season after all.

However, got to agree with this, Hope you don't get flamed and that Maupay comes back quickly. He's a confidence player and gets his goals in batches. Two in two games is as good as any risky 20-30 million striker we could take a punt on. One very heavy first touch yesterday that had me frustrated but otherwise excellent movement and a really nice finish for the second.

:thumbsup:

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

Summed it up for me.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here