Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Brighton & Hove Albion vs Manchester United *** Official Match Thread ***

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
WWWWLW

Back when we were fighting for our very survival United were rarely beaten, it use to be a surprise when they lost. And now not so little old Brighton have won 5 out of 6 PL matches against them, that's quite an achievement, never did I think that would be possible, just wow
It's amazing, tbh. We looked liked rabbits caught in headlights when we first entered the Premier League, but my....how we've grown.
We've certainly proved our worth amongst the 'big boys', and we can (mostly) hold our own against any team.
Edit: We're still not anywhere near top 4 material, but given time...who knows?

HeaviestTed

I’m eating
NSC Patron
Mar 23, 2023
WWWWLW

Back when we were fighting for our very survival United were rarely beaten, it use to be a surprise when they lost. And now not so little old Brighton have won 5 out of 6 PL matches against them, that's quite an achievement, never did I think that would be possible, just wow
I can honestly say hand on heart the one we lost doesn’t count, last game of the season (I think?), riddled with injuries, nothing to fight for, RDZ gone, no manager.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Fragmented is the phrase we used at half time in particular..... I hope we insert a decent WBG replacement because in the 2nd half he was cooking..... he did the old pre-trf wave as he went off, sadly I think he is a gonna.
I quite honestly thought it could be seen just as an acknowledgement of the enthusiastic appreciation of his performance

Safe.

Jun 8, 2008
Main difference is a team built over 2 years vs one for 2 games. Their press has been impressive, specifically mount. Surely they can't do it all game? Hopefully we can gel a bit more 2nd half and get another. Just worried about that space behind.
Well we got a bit lucky with the zirkzee moment. But interesting hurzelers' substitutions were way more effective than ten haags'. To think we haven't got our full squad yesterday, we are really going to be able to change games that aren't going our way.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
Just noticed we had 6 Brits in the starting XI yesterday (5 English, 1 Scot).....not sure whether any other Premier League team has started with a majority of Brits recently (Palace maybe....they had 5 yesterday, I think). I'm not saying it's particularly relevant...but perhaps interesting! And I would guess that will be the last time this season, given all the incomers.

Cordwainer

Jul 30, 2023
For me Milner played as well as I’ve seen him. Looked fit and focused and made a surprising amount of runs into the box. Surprised Utd didn’t try and find Amad more often as he was in acres especially in 2nd half..Mitomas tracking back was poor with both he and Hinshelwood drifting too far inside. Overall though a really enjoyable game with a perfect ending and with the two expected new signings a squad with genuine talented depth. Maybe just a new CB to round things off nicely.

Super Sub

Aug 13, 2016
I was really impressed with our win yesterday… We beat a very good side. Ok, they are not the United of old but they still have world class players in their ranks that are capable of hurting you at any given time.
Ive read Minteh getting some flack but imho he was playing against one of the best fullbacks in world football. The lads 20… Some perspective is needed.
I dont like the big 6 and the egos that follow them but they are what they are. Any result against these guys is a major accomplishment.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I was really impressed with our win yesterday… We beat a very good side. Ok, they are not the United of old but they still have world class players in their ranks that are capable of hurting you at any given time.
Ive read Minteh getting some flack but imho he was playing against one of the best fullbacks in world football. The lads 20… Some perspective is needed.
I dont like the big 6 and the egos that follow them but they are what they are. Any result against these guys is a major accomplishment.
Agree with this. Both fullbacks allowed our wingers nothing all game until the last 10 minutes.

Minteh just looked like someone who was desperate to score but he will rip sides apart.

the arse game next week will be an interesting challenge!

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Having had the night to Reflect about the game yesterday in which the weather played its part for both teams we scored the opening goal against the run play and then had two really good chances to pull away one hitting the bar the other cleared off the line, United pulled level through an own goal which on another day might have struck JVP knee and gone over,United would probably say the same with their disallowed goal.
ultimately it came down to who wanted the most who was playing to the whistle and not accepting that one point was enough.
it was a tough game which we deserved to win one observation I made not during the game but watching MOD Minteh was released down the wing he raced into the box Pedro got himself into a good position but Minteh whacked the ball against the defenders legs the ball broke and United raced to the other end putting the ball away off the attackers knee and was off side, while this was going on Pedro clearly disgruntled that Minteh had not passed but instead taken the shot was walking out of United box while the rest of the team were racing back to defend our goal it was then I noticed Welbeck who was also racing back noticed Pedro sulky walk turned and gave Pedro a mouth full, imagine words will be said after the game but it’s good to see the older professional giving on pitch advice😁

Brightonfan1983

Jul 5, 2003
UK
Having had the night to Reflect about the game yesterday in which the weather played its part for both teams we scored the opening goal against the run play and then had two really good chances to pull away one hitting the bar the other cleared off the line, United pulled level through an own goal which on another day might have struck JVP knee and gone over,United would probably say the same with their disallowed goal.
ultimately it came down to who wanted the most who was playing to the whistle and not accepting that one point was enough.
it was a tough game which we deserved to win one observation I made not during the game but watching MOD Minteh was released down the wing he raced into the box Pedro got himself into a good position but Minteh whacked the ball against the defenders legs the ball broke and United raced to the other end putting the ball away off the attackers knee and was off side, while this was going on Pedro clearly disgruntled that Minteh had not passed but instead taken the shot was walking out of United box while the rest of the team were racing back to defend our goal it was then I noticed Welbeck who was also racing back noticed Pedro sulky walk turned and gave Pedro a mouth full, imagine words will be said after the game but it’s good to see the older professional giving on pitch advice😁
The weather always plays its part for both teams! But I like what you noticed - JPvH giving Milner a mouthful last week shows it goes both ways!

pocketseagull

Dec 29, 2014
WWWWLW

Hughton won against United twice at the amex, our first defeat was with Potter.

huzzah

Sep 8, 2023
interestingly they pointed out the cost of our back 5 (3m) vs theirs, so I thought I would double check
(transfer values in euros from transfermarkt)

Steele 0
Veltman ~1m
JPVH ~2m
Dunk 0
Hinshelwood 0

so they were approximately correct about us and them:

Onana ~50m
Dalot ~22m
Martinez ~57m
Maguire ~87m
Mazraoui ~15m
(sub) de Ligt ~45m