Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

***Brighton & Hove Albion v Lewes - QF Sussex Senior Cup - 30.03.11***

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
If it is Horsham, dare I say? Easy passage, Horsham have had a horrible season.

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
If it is Horsham, dare I say? Easy passage, Horsham have had a horrible season.

Yes, very poor. But you never know - so going by your comments about giving up home advantage I guess the semi will be at YMas Horsham are still ground sharing?

Charlie and the boys have already been there this season - really hope the first game at the Amex will involve the Albion.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Yes, very poor. But you never know - so going by your comments about giving up home advantage I guess the semi will be at YMas Horsham are still ground sharing?

Charlie and the boys have already been there this season - really hope the first game at the Amex will involve the Albion.

Yeah will be played at YM.

EDIT: Now I say that I think I have pre-empted myself, if it is the semi it'll probably be neutral like Woodside or Culver.

Last edited:

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I would have thought £3 or so would have been reasonable - the reserves used to be about that and free to ST holders? I suppose it isn't an actual reserve match but c'est la vie £8 seems an awful lot to me

£3! I'm not sure £3 would bring in a huge amount of supporters and that wouldn't even come close to covering things like insurance or wages of those making sure the match can go ahead.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
£3! I'm not sure £3 would bring in a huge amount of supporters and that wouldn't even come close to covering things like insurance or wages of those making sure the match can go ahead.

Floodlights alone would be barely covered.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Yeah they seem to be the grounds they use and now possibly Eastbourne Boro's ground if the Amex is being used as the venue for the final?

May be a bit expensive to host a game at the Priory for a semi, depends how generous the Borough committee feel.

I think if the Albion reserves roll into town for a Senior Cup match, you are guaranteed a 300 crowd before you count the home supporters. I also firmly believe that they play away (as I said) in order to fund the local clubs. So even if, say, it were East Preston and they charged £8 under floodlights with good county league facilities, it is worth a punt of anyone's money to watch a pro club with a few fringe first teamers and regular first teamers coming back from injury, plus the upcoming Albion lads. And again as I said, it funds Sussex non league football, and God knows it is needed! I think it's an excellent and much welcomed arrangement from BHAFC.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

I guess i must just accept football is WELL overpriced. To be fair i didnt realise the differences between a standard ressies match and the Sussex Senior Cup - but i stand by my comment that £8 is a complete piss take.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Attendance was about 550 tonight. Good atmosphere Batty played well before being sent off. May need to play a stronger side in the semi finals didn't Horsham knock Crawley out.

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
I guess i must just accept football is WELL overpriced. To be fair i didnt realise the differences between a standard ressies match and the Sussex Senior Cup - but i stand by my comment that £8 is a complete piss take.

It's a tenner to watch Horsham in the Ryman Prem, and £8 to watch YM in Ryman South

Miami Seagull

Grandad
Jul 12, 2003
Miami Florida, USA
Good game tonight, Lewes gave it a good go and were probably worthy of a draw. The announcer was on good form, in addition to the already mentioned announcements he also said Steve Cock was our number two, before eventually correcting himself once he's stopped laughing and blaming the paperwork in front of him...great little ground too. Hope the Horsham game may be played at Crawley, would guarantee quite a few Hornets for the game if its played there. last comment...if we do get through then might be an opportunity for Gary Hart to lead the first Albion team out at Falmer..would be a perfect start at the stadium.

andybaha

Jan 3, 2007
Piddinghoe
I often go to Lewes if the Albion are away or not playing. It's a tenner to get in and kids are free. I think that is good value for money.

Tonight I went with teenage daughter, I thought it was a good competitive match, the atmosphere was lively, Gus was a couple of rows away from us, OGH played and got I my first chance to see Toby play. I thought the evening was an absolute steal at £8.

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
FA site has the home venues down as Gorings Mead for the Horsham v Albion semi final and Langley for the Eastbourne v Crawley Down semi.

Just need a date, I reckon both games will be close with the promise of a big day out as the prize, a sunny bank holiday in front of possibly 10,000.

What stands would they open to reach that figure, West Stand Lower, East Stand and possibly Away end to test the segregation, lighting.

New Carpet?

Aug 23, 2009
Pause....replaced by the man with 12 on his back.

Better still I thought was the announcer's subsequent attempt to pronounce out our number 12's name with, "Torborn Ag-de-de-stick." :facepalm:

Albion were very lucky to win, a well-taken early goal but that was about it. Lewes played very well, just lacking a bit of cutting edge in front of goal.

Lewis Dunk looked a cut above anyone else on the pitch last night - with the maybe exception of Agdestein, who wasn't really given any service late on, he was probably the only player on the pitch who looked good enough for The Championship. Yasser Kasim looked useful tidying up in midfield, very much in the Bridcutt/Navarro mould, but whether he could make the step up is another thing entirely.

Much as I was hoping they would be successes for us, both Baz and Battipiedi just don't look like they suit English football. They showed a couple of nice touches at times last night, but then they'd follow that up by losing the ball the next three or four times they got it, either misplacing passes or just holding on to the ball for too long and getting tackled. Batti left the pitch in tears after being sent off and I have to say I felt very sorry for him that it's not worked out at the Albion.

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
I thought Baz was bullied off the ball a lot last night and did not get a chance to shine on a bobbly pitch, although his deadball work was poor high or at the keeper.

Batty looked very active in the game, but cannot let the team down by his poor conduct, yes he was headbutted but he did go head to head to start with and then went down like a sack of Argentianian spam.

He needs to be far more composed and change his game once he is on a yellow. Trouble is we have a lot of competiton for midfield places, Kasim looks great but will have to really impress to even make the bench.

hornet

Mar 9, 2005
Horsham
I'm already looking forward to the semi-final - one of the few bright spots in our awful season! We did somehow manage to beat Crawley when we went through our good spell earlier in the season though they were obviously so embarrased by it they later added it to the list of their own reserves fixtures!

I hope the match is played somewhere better than the YM as the pitch is awful at the moment. Crawley's ground would be better suited for both teams passing game I would think.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here