Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton & Hove Albion (c) vs Southampton *** Official Match Thread ***

hypochondriac

Apr 24, 2011
Classic my old fruit.

Care to comment on the rest of the post? That comment was mainly referring to the fact that we had many games postponed coupled with the death of our owner and a bad start. Who knows what would have happened had we been breathing down your neck earlier. Doesn't matter anyway really but it would be nice to discuss it sensibly.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Having seen it on FL Show and seen the pictures on the Southampton Gallery, Chaplow thread, it is most obvious that the 2nd goal, good header as it was, should have been ruled offside because Lambert is standing on our goal line when the ball went into the net and was thus attempting to play the ball, the fact that he didnt touch it is immaterial. The TV shows that although not playing the ball he was an influence on the game when Fonte headed it. So offside.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Doesn't the referee and his assistants take into consideration whether Fat Ricky was active or inactive when Fonte headed the ball ? He didn't touch the ball and was level with Calde so in my opinion he wasn't offside.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The picture on the gallery clearly shows he is goal side of Caldy and if just 12in goalside of the post can be classed as inactive then something is wrong with football and the application of the rules. You may recall some years ago that Brian Clough said that if a player had no influence on the game then he shouldnt have been on the pitch but in this case it is a player 1ft inside the post on the goal line to make sure the ball goes in the net.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Southampton deserved the three points yesterday, they just had more bite and desire in them and Adkins had done his homework on us.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Care to comment on the rest of the post? That comment was mainly referring to the fact that we had many games postponed coupled with the death of our owner and a bad start. Who knows what would have happened had we been breathing down your neck earlier. Doesn't matter anyway really but it would be nice to discuss it sensibly.

It would have still been very tight with us coming out on top, we've only lost 6 games all season, and could still get the highest points total achieved in this league ever. Even if you get say 10 points over your bad patch we'd still be clear. If anything, a significant challenger may have meant we'd dropped less points. Who knows.

We also lost two major components to our team early season for the whole season in Kazenga and Navarro.

hypochondriac

Apr 24, 2011
It would have still been very tight with us coming out on top, we've only lost 6 games all season, and could still get the highest points total achieved in this league ever. Even if you get say 10 points over your bad patch we'd still be clear. If anything, a significant challenger may have meant we'd dropped less points. Who knows.

I know it's impossible to guess what would have happened, just that it is mostly our bad start which has meant we are so far behind. Since Adkins has come in, we have been really close.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Granted, but your season would still have had to be special to get close, 6 games lost all season, and 8 wins out of 8 games in March giving us the highest points total earnt by a club in a single month ever tells you how special it would had to have been.

hypochondriac

Apr 24, 2011
Granted, but your season would still have had to be special to get close, 6 games lost all season, and 8 wins out of 8 games in March giving us the highest points total earnt by a club in a single month ever tells you how special it would had to have been.

But still I believe we have almost matched you since Adkins came in. Not certain but I'm pretty sure the PPG ratio is similar. Our rubbish start let us down and I think Liebherr dying had a big effect.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
But at the end of the day it doesn't matter as we had results that ordinarily we would ahve won ( Rochdale at home and Bournemouth fiasco when the lino tripped over his guide dog) so maybe we would havbe been more points ahead. As said above, we were probably the bext two teams in the division and next season, we have a juicy set of South Coast derbies, but Pompey have the edge over you last season in the cup so it will be interesting how you have improved by next season.

The league table doesnt lie and our results have shown consistently that we are the best in the division...to only lose around 6 games a season is a phenominal result coming from two years ago when we were truly awful.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither

Well the only valid theory about why we finished top was that we won more games. As you say who knows what might have happened. League positions is typically closely linked to spending on players. We are apparently the fifth (or thereabouts) highest spenders so to romp the league is a massive achievement. To be the biggest spenders and get promoted is still an achievement (I assume you are the biggest spenders) but to talk about if's, but's and maybe's may hold an interest - but will not mean much for long.

And that is why your manager is a decent manager - because of what he achieved with Scunthorpe. Promotion and keeping them up.

hypochondriac

Apr 24, 2011
But at the end of the day it doesn't matter as we had results that ordinarily we would ahve won ( Rochdale at home and Bournemouth fiasco when the lino tripped over his guide dog) so maybe we would havbe been more points ahead. As said above, we were probably the bext two teams in the division and next season, we have a juicy set of South Coast derbies, but Pompey have the edge over you last season in the cup so it will be interesting how you have improved by next season.

The league table doesnt lie and our results have shown consistently that we are the best in the division...to only lose around 6 games a season is a phenominal result coming from two years ago when we were truly awful.

Well no actually. They cheated their way to a cup win. Owusu Abeyie was signed on loan in January and he provided the spark to beat us that day but really they were insolvent and the fact they signed him was scandalous.

hypochondriac

Apr 24, 2011
Well the only valid theory about why we finished top was that we won more games. As you say who knows what might have happened. League positions is typically closely linked to spending on players. We are apparently the fifth (or thereabouts) highest spenders so to romp the league is a massive achievement. To be the biggest spenders and get promoted is still an achievement (I assume you are the biggest spenders) but to talk about if's, but's and maybe's may hold an interest - but will not mean much for long.

And that is why your manager is a decent manager - because of what he achieved with Scunthorpe. Promotion and keeping them up.

I agree. I said you have overacheived this year and it's a really good season for you. I was just making the point as to why we have fallen behind you. It certainly wasn't down to Adkins being a bad manager.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Well no actually. They cheated their way to a cup win. Owusu Abeyie was signed on loan in January and he provided the spark to beat us that day but really they were insolvent and the fact they signed him was scandalous.

so they "cheated " by four or five goals wasn't it?

Ah right.

Blimey.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Well I'll try and be sensible, but if you think that that those are the reasons why we've won the league then you have taken self-delusion up to whole new levels - no wonder your user name is 'hypochondriac', God knows what drugs you've been taking to come to that conclusion

We've won this league, sorry we've PISSED this league, because over the course of the season we've been the best team in it. It really is that simple, so there's no need to over-analyse. All these additional theories make you look either a bit small-time or a bit weird, I'm not sure which.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
We've won this league, sorry we've PISSED this league, because over the course of the season we've been the best team in it. It really is that simple, so there's no need to over-analyse. All these additional theories make you look either a bit small-time or a bit weird, I'm not sure which.

Quite. How SCC have performed has had no bearing on how we have performed. Apart from the two games. And if you want to analyse we were a penalty save and 6 minutes away from taking all six points there as well.

hypochondriac

Apr 24, 2011
Well I'll try and be sensible, but if you think that that those are the reasons why we've won the league then you have taken self-delusion up to whole new levels - no wonder your user name is 'hypochondriac', God knows what drugs you've been taking to come to that conclusion

it was our start which meant we were so far behind you. Since Adkins has come in our ppg have been largely similar

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
it was our start which meant we were so far behind you. Since Adkins has come in our ppg have been largely similar
Well our start wasn't that good, we didn't hit the top spot until October. Early on we lost away at Sheffield Wednesday for crying out loud!

All clubs have 'good' and 'bad' luck over the course of the season. You can't just say, as you appear to, that we had all the luck and you haven't. I could argue that our loss of Lua Lua was far worse than any handicap you've suffered and if he'd stayed we'd already have 100 points. Like your 'death of a chairman' excuse it's pure conjecture.

And since the start our records are 'largely similar'? Hmm. When did you have your eight wins in a row? (Genuine question, I don't know what your playing record's been).

hypochondriac

Apr 24, 2011
Well our start wasn't that good, we didn't hit the top spot until October. Early on we lost away at Sheffield Wednesday for crying out loud!

All clubs have 'good' and 'bad' luck over the course of the season. You can't just say, as you appear to, that we had all the luck and you haven't. I could argue that our loss of Lua Lua was far worse than any handicap you've suffered and if he'd stayed we'd already have 100 points. Like your 'death of a chairman' excuse it's pure conjecture.

And since the start our records are 'largely similar'? Hmm. When did you have your eight wins in a row? (Genuine question, I don't know what your playing record's been).

When Adkins came in we were miles behind you. Since then I believe we may be slightly closer to you, thus our PPG ratio over the period may actually be better than your. If it isn't, it's still very similar. I don't think you have had all the luck at all, simply that it is my belief that if Adkins had been bought in over the summer, we would have given you a run for your money. If our points per game ratio under Adkins had been similar at the start of the season then it would be a lot closer. Really you can blame our chairman for not acting sooner. It's pretty irrelevant though if we both go up. Promotion is the aim for us, the championship title is just a nice bonus.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here