Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton hoolies in FHM

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
If anyone's seen the newest edition of FHM, you might have spotted the piece about football hooligans which seems to be based largely on an interview with "Brighton-based casual Nick Harvey, 35".

It goes on about what the West Street Firm and their band of merrie men claim to get up to in town during/before/after games. Seems to be slightly factually iffy, though, as it talks about being "almost full time at the Goldstone Ground". If it does refer to the days when we did play there, then FHM is using seriously old information without letting us know, which is worth a slap on the wrists for any hack.

Anyone else seen it?

PS Call me naive if you like, but I've been going to Brighton games for 11 years, or thereabouts, and have never heard of the West Street Firm. Have you?

Last edited:

Raphael Meade

Jul 5, 2003
Ex-Shoreham
i ve heard of the west street firm but what of the impression (from various threads etc on here over the years) that they were around in the 70s and were of no more...

richie morris might know, he seems very interested of late! :lolol:

eiregull

Jul 15, 2003
ireland
sad to say the west street firm are very much alive

http://www.freewebs.com/bhacasuals/ :( :(

and before anyone starts im not a hoolie just found this site on google.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Raphael Meade said:
i ve heard of the west street firm but what of the impression (from various threads etc on here over the years) that they were around in the 70s and were of no more...

richie morris might know, he seems very interested of late! :lolol:

Interested..well yes because my dissertation is on the differing policy in britain, south america, italy, korea and turkey and how succesful it is at controlling football violence. I have also heard of the west street firm but thought our main lads called themselves the hadhunters.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I know someone who blagged into the event claiming to be loaded mag...and years ago when I was a little less clean shaven and hair was scruffier..I was allowed into Honeyclub for free because they approached me and thought I was the Carpetmonster from Big Breakfast.

Raphael Meade

Jul 5, 2003
Ex-Shoreham
Richie Morris said:
Interested..well yes because my dissertation is on the differing policy in britain, south america, italy, korea and turkey and how succesful it is at controlling football violence. I have also heard of the west street firm but thought our main lads called themselves the hadhunters.

that must be very interesting to be looking into...

you looking a lot a lazio? absolute f***ing nutjobs!

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Yeah it is. I am interviewing one of the Sheffield Wednesday band before game at Hilsborough about his experiences, having a special look at lazio and how they almost dictate to the club...loads of new policy in italy to combat this..all their ultras held a mass march in response to new policy. Korea / japan were succesful in world cup etc. I am putting it into a wider context to show how our policy isnt all bad.

twickers

Jul 17, 2003
eiregull said:
sad to say the west street firm are very much alive

http://www.freewebs.com/bhacasuals/ :( :(

and before anyone starts im not a hoolie just found this site on google.

Well found, serves as a sobering reminder that the sort of mentally behind this maybe knuckle dragging, but unfortunately not stupid. I'm all for democracy, but may the views of this sort never be expressed here or associated with football, let alone our club.

eiregull

Jul 15, 2003
ireland
Having looked at the message board its a mix of football and the not so savoury which is quite alarming as it means our hoolie element also have an interest in the team. However im of the opinion it is a very small minority of predominatly mouthy kids. But seeing as it took me less than 5 minutes to find this site id be very surprised if it wasnt closely monitored. From past experience following the albion away i know that the are a few 'fans' who have tendency to turn nasty, i particularly remember seeing familiar faces at shrewsbury, chesterfield and colchester 2/3 years ago who are definatly season ticket holders, in fact two at colchester started an extremly racist chant and they sat two rows in front ofme at withdean. So the lesson is not to do a Cardiff but except we have aproblem and try and address it. Rant over :angry:

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
Well every clubs got them and if anyone thought they had gone away well im sorry but youve got your head in the sand. You may not agree with it but different people have different ways of supporting there team, and for some a tear up with the opposing firm is how they CHOOSE to do it. People are very quick to voice there opinon on the subject when they dont have the slightest clue on what there talking about.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
pishhead said:
Well every clubs got them and if anyone thought they had gone away well im sorry but youve got your head in the sand. You may not agree with it but different people have different ways of supporting there team, and for some a tear up with the opposing firm is how they CHOOSE to do it. People are very quick to voice there opinon on the subject when they dont have the slightest clue on what there talking about.

I would say that these hooligans in the main are fans of the club whatever people say. They spend a lot of money and go to the games at the over end of the country in the pissing rain, unlike some fans myself included. They are just misguided in the way they show their love for the club. They need to be stopped but before this can happen they need to be understood and not dismissed as the 'lagr louts just their for a ruck'

Fridge Man

Aug 31, 2003
Burgess Hill
im so mad

oh dear where do i start this really makes my blood boil, when i read we still had hooligans at the club i actually cried. I just hope the police stop trying to catch harmless criminals like paedophiles, burglars and muggers and turn all their attention to catching football hooligans because obviously what they do is worse than anything else. im sorry but im just so mad.

the fridge man

eiregull

Jul 15, 2003
ireland
good first post t**t, what they do is not in the context of other serious crime that bad, but what they might do is give all the falmer opposition a serious argument against building stadium, and they do actually divert police resources from catching the above names scum but posing serious threats to public order etc.:censored:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here