Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton fan banned for 5 years.

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
My final post on this is that he has somewhat outdated views on what is acceptable having worked at BA for many years and remembers the Enoch Powell speech but I still wouldn't want him reported for having a private conversation with me which is my whole point.

Then the answer is not to have that type of conversation in public, or anywhere that may get either or both of you into hot water. Times and attitudes change.

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
My final post on this is that he has somewhat outdated views on what is acceptable having worked at BA for many years and remembers the Enoch Powell speech but I still wouldn't want him reported for having a private conversation with me which is my whole point.

So your point is that he's a racist but you don't want him reported for saying as much in private? Well if you hadn't have told us it woudn't have been a matter for discussion. "Remembers the Enoch Powell Speech". I'm gonna send that one into Viz. Superb.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Then the answer is not to have that type of conversation in public, or anywhere that may get either or both of you into hot water. Times and attitudes change.

Be careful, someone at work was having a Facebook conversation that was quite highly charged on the racial front and someone saved it as a screenshot and mailed it to most people in my company.

He was not dismissed as it was deemed as out of work (which it was) however he was moved to another job.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
When I was in Barbados earlier this year all the rasta's called me and my wife honkeys I bet most of you would cream your pants at that and report it everywhere but we saw it as a term of endearment as nothing malicious was meant and the things they called each other were far worse than you would ever hear here

Durlston

"You plonker, Rodney!"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
I agree with BensGrandad to a degree. It was a private conversation but whatever was said was obviously very wrong. Five years is a long time to be banned.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
Yes, maybe it was a private conversation. BUT it was heard by other people. Not that private then.

Czechmate

Oct 5, 2011
Brno Czech Republic
Crikey we will never get a full crowd at this rate , personally i would never snitch on a fellow Brighton fan , but each to their own ! Wouldn't a quiet word in ones ear be sufficient if it was a low key issue ?

danish seagull

Apr 16, 2012
København
He will just get a ticket in someone else's name anyway so he won't miss 5 years :)

I think that a 5 year ban is a little strong but if it was said loud enough for people around him to hear he wasn't very clever.

stripeyshark

All-Time Best Defence
Dec 20, 2011
He will just get a ticket in someone else's name anyway so he won't miss 5 years :)

I think that a 5 year ban is a little strong but if it was said loud enough for people around him to hear he wasn't very clever.

Face recognition cameras at football now.

tip top

Kandidate
Jun 27, 2007
dunno I'm lost
Personally i can't see how a private conversation is deemed as racial abuse. Who was he abusing?

tip top

Kandidate
Jun 27, 2007
dunno I'm lost
So if a conversation's private, it can't be racist?
That's not what i said. If he has a private conversation and is onerheard, i can see how people may be offended, but i fail to see how he was abusing anyone.

Brighton1

Jun 10, 2004
Newhaven
If they are guilty then good.

Don't you think this is OTT??? I'm sure most people say things at the heat of the moment especially at a Football match! It's a time where alot of people get very excited and emotions are running high....If the guy's big enough to hold his hands up and appologise I think maybe a 3 game ban would be more suitable and on the basis if they commited the same offense again the punishment would be more severe? I think too many people are trying to be politically correct when sometimes things are said at the heat of the moment.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
Simply put, and going on what you have said there, I'd say that your brother is either a racist or a man with a seriously outdated view of the acceptability of using that kind of language in any context whatsoever.

wow thats a ticking off

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here