Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton fan banned for 5 years.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I'm concerned that this is reported as a 'Brighton fan', when it was discussed on Nsc, as someone using a 1901 corporate ticket. The Argus article has Albion fan in the headline and Seagulls supporter in the text. I want our club reputation to be tolerant and not have some visitor drag it through the mud.

16 bit 44.1

May 17, 2011
Hove
I am fairly certain that this was the event that happened a couple of rows behind me and I was later told that he had been banned for 5 years too so I think it's a reasonable assumption.
I can't comment on what was said as my attention was drawn to it in the aftermath when he had been challenged by the person/people in front of him.
He was pissed up and chose to continue to argue his point. In the sober light of day I can't see how he could complain and judging by the report he didn't.

The "amateur psychologist" aka nosey f*cker in me is kinda interested in whether he woke up full of remorse the next day wondering at what point his alcohol consumption turned him into a totally objectionable individual. Or if he is in fact a full on card carrying member of the BNP or whatever those jokers are calling themselves this week.....

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
He got off lightly. The West Ham fan caught making anti semitic comments at the Spurs game has a lifetime ban.

00snook

Aug 20, 2007
Southsea
Don't you think this is OTT??? I'm sure most people say things at the heat of the moment especially at a Football match! It's a time where alot of people get very excited and emotions are running high....If the guy's big enough to hold his hands up and appologise I think maybe a 3 game ban would be more suitable and on the basis if they commited the same offense again the punishment would be more severe? I think too many people are trying to be politically correct when sometimes things are said at the heat of the moment.

The only way to truly stamp out this sort of behaviour is to have very severe and enforced penalties.

Going softly doesn't work.

Czechmate

Oct 5, 2011
Brno Czech Republic
The only way to truly stamp out this sort of behaviour is to have very severe and enforced penalties.

Going softly doesn't work.

Yeh but it's not going to happen in a year , if people think this way then it will take a years to come out of them if at all , you may ban him but he will still have these thoughts in 10 years time but just won't happen in football , it will be elsewhere , so your not curing the problem you are just pushing it aside.

IMO

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
I'm concerned that this is reported as a 'Brighton fan', when it was discussed on Nsc, as someone using a 1901 corporate ticket. The Argus article has Albion fan in the headline and Seagulls supporter in the text.

Was that the thread from a few weeks back? Because if so it was reported allot differently than someone having a chat with his mate and was overheard making racist comments.

I want our club reputation to be tolerant and not have some visitor drag it through the mud.

Not quite sure how you can police that? Interview everyone prior to being allowed in the ground?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Was that the thread from a few weeks back? Because if so it was reported allot differently than someone having a chat with his mate and was overheard making racist comments.

That's what I was thinking.

Not quite sure how you can police that? Interview everyone prior to being allowed in the ground?

Asking the news outlets like the Argus & BBC to report it accurately which is a big ask tbh.

00snook

Aug 20, 2007
Southsea
Yeh but it's not going to happen in a year , if people think this way then it will take a years to come out of them if at all , you may ban him but he will still have these thoughts in 10 years time but just won't happen in football , it will be elsewhere , so your not curing the problem you are just pushing it aside.

IMO

Agree entirely with that mate. Sadly this is often the way, and I am not sure if it is football's job to change how people inherently feel, but rather to just eradicate this behaviour from the areas of which football has control eg. Football matches, grounds etc.

Julio

Feb 18, 2009
I'm concerned that this is reported as a 'Brighton fan', when it was discussed on Nsc, as someone using a 1901 corporate ticket. The Argus article has Albion fan in the headline and Seagulls supporter in the text. I want our club reputation to be tolerant and not have some visitor drag it through the mud.

Agree. Lazy reporting and comments. Who the person supports is irrelevant, the issue is racism. The assumption has been made that he's an Albion fan, without actually checking any facts, and the assumption is incorrect. A person visiting the ground made unacceptable racist comments and won't be coming back for five years.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here