Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton College.

MikeySmall

Jul 7, 2003
BRIGHTON
Dont know if we have played them at Hockey, but from what I can remember of the results the rugby was fairly balanced. They absolutely hammered our football team though (unsurprisingly, bar 2 ex academy members its fairly devoid of talent).

Cranleigh are the school we cant beat (6-0) :lolol:

Ha ha - I went to Cranleigh and the two sides we always beat were BC and Hurst. Both shite at most sports (although BC were decent at Cricket). I hated private school. Full of cnuts.

Jambo Seagull

Jul 18, 2003
The Athens of the North
BCJS '77 to '79 St. Davids House, Mr Gilles-Rayburn.

Senior School '79 to '84 Leconfield House, Mr Page for one term then SGRS.

Can also recall Mr Brewster teaching biology , Mr Wolley teaching chemistry and Mr Hayes teaching maths in the IVth form.

It was Mr Kittermaster who taught history.

I must know you. We were there at the same time. I was in St Andrews from 75 - 79 and Aldrich from 79 to 84.

Exiled in Indooroopilly

I found this spoon sir
Feb 12, 2009
I must know you. We were there at the same time. I was in St Andrews from 75 - 79 and Aldrich from 79 to 84.

And with a post that no one else in the universe will care about, and maybe not even you two, I was in St Andrews and then Leconfield on or around the same dates!!

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
Was a scholarship boy in 79 till 81 when I got 'asked to leave' at the Junior School. Worst days of my life and dont regret what I did to get out of there. The snobbery was unbelievable and they had no time for poor kids. The headmaster was the worst... cant remember his name, closely followed by Mr Silk who got what he deserved. Stainton-James was probably the best teacher.

However, did almost get my a place on the olympic hockey team till my knee went so not ALL bad.

We probably overlapped a bit, then. I was only there because my dad was the chaplain. Mr Brown was the headmaster, I think. My most-hated teacher was Mr Dasgupta, or Daz Automatic. Taught maths, scared the life out of me. He used to do quick-fire maths tests that began before you'd even sat down. He'd literally shout: "Number one! Two fifths!", pause for two seconds, "Number two: five eighths!" etc etc and you'd have to convert them into decimals in two seconds flat. I regularly got zero marks in his tests. Awful stuff.

I was there from 1980 to 1983, I think, then we moved up to Liverpool. Oliver Heath, that Changing Rooms bloke was in the year above me, I think.

What did you do to get kicked out?!

Last edited:

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
Junior School - 1979-1984

I was in the year above EastLondonGull and vividly remember his shock victory in the School Singing contest. :blush:

Ha ha!! Totally forgot about that!

Do you remember those amazing Scalextric days, when everyone brought in their (carefully labelled) bits of track and built GIANT circuits in the gym?! Great memories :)

Last edited:

Spun Cuppa

Thanks Greens :(
I drove past there the other day and thought to myself, 'Look at all these birds dressed up as schoolgirls!...' It then dawned on me they were schoolgirls :facepalm:

(That's what four years at a boys-only senior school can do to you...) :blush:

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Ha ha!! Totally forgot about that!

Do you remember those amazing Scalextric days, when everyone brought in their (carefully labelled) bits of track and built GIANT circuits in the gym?! Great memories :)

I certainly do. Marvellous scenes.

Do you remember the holiday clubs at BCJS where there was 'Coastguards and Pirates' in the Junior School Hall and 'Danish Longball' in the Senior School sports hall where everybody used to dive on the crashmats?

Socky

Sockmonster
Jun 24, 2008
Brighton
I was there from 71-81 Junior and senior. Have particularly fond memories of Mr Burstow, Brighton Colleges very own Mr Chips. Anyone taught by him? Sure he must have been mentioned already but can't be arsed to look through every post.

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
I certainly do. Marvellous scenes.

Do you remember the holiday clubs at BCJS where there was 'Coastguards and Pirates' in the Junior School Hall and 'Danish Longball' in the Senior School sports hall where everybody used to dive on the crashmats?

I don't, no. I remember doing my BAGA courses in the gym, though, those crashmats were great. I have a vivid recollection of some kid running through the corridor towards the playground, tripping up on the doormat and flying head-first into the metal right-angle on the wall, cracking his head open. But then, head-cracking seemed to be a daily event. The headmaster's son, Matthew, cracked his head open on the mantlepiece when his sister swung him round by his legs. Ouch!

I've got one of my BCJS photos at home. Will fish it out and maybe post it on here... will be a right old embarrassment!

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
We probably overlapped a bit, then. I was only there because my dad was the chaplain. Mr Brown was the headmaster, I think. My most-hated teacher was Mr Dasgupta, or Daz Automatic. Taught maths, scared the life out of me. He used to do quick-fire maths tests that began before you'd even sat down. He'd literally shout: "Number one! Two fifths!", pause for two seconds, "Number two: five eighths!" etc etc and you'd have to convert them into decimals in two seconds flat. I regularly got zero marks in his tests. Awful stuff.

I was there from 1980 to 1983, I think, then we moved up to Liverpool. Oliver Heath, that Changing Rooms bloke was in the year above me, I think.

Where you in the JS then...I dont remember any of your teachers in the JS... was it Brown then with all the Cowdrey pictures?

Its a long story but I wanted out but needed a reason..... a few 'events' and a vendetta against one teacher. The funny thing was that once I got people's attention I actually wnate dto prove them wrong. They couldnt expel me as I was a scholarship boy so I was given 'special' grades to get to pass through to the main school... nissed them by one grade and everyone got what they wanted.

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
Where you in the JS then...I dont remember any of your teachers in the JS... was it Brown then with all the Cowdrey pictures?

Its a long story but I wanted out but needed a reason..... a few 'events' and a vendetta against one teacher. The funny thing was that once I got people's attention I actually wnate dto prove them wrong. They couldnt expel me as I was a scholarship boy so I was given 'special' grades to get to pass through to the main school... nissed them by one grade and everyone got what they wanted.

I was at BCJS then, yes. Moved up north in 1983 when I was 10. Not sure about Cowdrey pics, think Hart's Shirt may be the man to ask, there.

Interesting story, mate. Hope it all worked out in the end :)

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
And with a post that no one else in the universe will care about, and maybe not even you two, I was in St Andrews and then Leconfield on or around the same dates!!

My detective work leads me to the conclusion Jambo was in the year above us, and has a brother the year below us who was once L/L of the Seafield!

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
I was at BCJS then, yes. Moved up north in 1983 when I was 10. Not sure about Cowdrey pics, think Hart's Shirt may be the man to ask, there.

Interesting story, mate. Hope it all worked out in the end :)

Cheers... yes it did... my one endearing memory is of being in MR Silk's golf club and he and I hated each other. While on the practice area at East Brighton Mr Silk bet any of us that if we could get a hole in one he'd buy the winner a box of after eight's..... took me one shot (was amember at EB)... it took him a good few weeks to cough up but cough up he did

,,,, those little things :lolol:

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Before I went to BC I had never played grass hockey. I started there but never got much of a chance... afew times in the seconds as a keep , seem to remember a 13-0 thrashing on redgra at, I think, Cranleigh. Went off to Thomas Peacocke in Rye and 4 years later I was playing against East Grinstead firsts.... then my cartilage went.

But loved hockey... thanks BC.

Jul 24, 2003
Newbury, Berkshire.

I used to cage a lift in with his older brother Ben and him on Saturday mornings when they both lived near me and first started at BCJS! They were in the first and second forms when I was in CE1.

Great when they took in his dad's red Volvo estate, not so great when they took his mum's lurid green 2CV or Toyota Hiace.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here