Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton College.

Lush

Mods' Pet
Thanks for everyones responses.

I appreciate many of you will not know, but any ideas on what drugs may be like here? I imagine better than the others around, but it's still a worry....

I understand from my daughter who goes to BC that two kids were expelled last week - caught with drugs on school premises. No warnings. No second chances. Straight out. Them's the rules. I bet their fee paying parents were well chuffed. Now they have to find another school.

Just so you know.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Was a scholarship boy in 79 till 81 when I got 'asked to leave' at the Junior School. Worst days of my life and dont regret what I did to get out of there. The snobbery was unbelievable and they had no time for poor kids. The headmaster was the worst... cant remember his name, closely followed by Mr Silk who got what he deserved. Stainton-James was probably the best teacher.

However, did almost get my a place on the olympic hockey team till my knee went so not ALL bad.
What happened to him? I remember him being very strict but alright....mind you he didn't half chuck those cricket balls down at you, bowling full pace at skinny 11/12 year olds was a bit harsh imo (but served me well later I guess).

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
What happened to him? I remember him being very strict but alright....mind you he didn't half chuck those cricket balls down at you, bowling full pace at skinny 11/12 year olds was a bit harsh imo (but served me well later I guess).

Think the affair he had with a certain BC/England Junior Rugby Player's mother did for him!!

Never minded him, but never really got on the wrong side of him.

jimmypbha

Apr 5, 2009
NORTH STAND
I understand from my daughter who goes to BC that two kids were expelled last week - caught with drugs on school premises. No warnings. No second chances. Straight out. Them's the rules. I bet their fee paying parents were well chuffed. Now they have to find another school.

Just so you know.

What year is your daughter in? Might know her.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Junior School - 1979-1984

I was in the year above EastLondonGull and vividly remember his shock victory in the School Singing contest. :blush:

It's bizarre - Mr (Keith) Silk was one of the teachers that I really liked and got on with. I was in his class when the Albion got to Wembley and quite understood when about 85% of the class weren't at school that Saturday morning. He was a big Watford supporter, if I recall correctly and took the football with Peter Brookes.

Mr (Miles) Leonard (Housemaster of St Georges) was a genuinely nice guy. 'Possession and aggression' was his infamous breaktime rugby teamtalk to all his teams. He passed away a few years back after spending years caring for mentally-handicapped kids over in the Worthing/Lancing area. Completely selfless attitude to life and people.

I saw Mr (John) Burdett (Music teacher) at Hove County Cricket ground a few times - instantly recognisable.

Other memorable teachers - Mr Thornborough, Mrs Chesterton, Mrs Eadie, Mrs Heater...

Senior School - 1984-1989

Ended up captaining the School 1st XI football team. :thumbsup:
Could run a bit too, so ended up avoiding cricket and doing athletics in the summer which mostly consisted of lounging around on the High-Jump mat.
Didn't mind school that much, but loathed a particular housemaster so much that I ended up switching to School House where Mr Guthrie exerted a 'laissez-faire' style of man-managment. Much better for all concerned.

As far as drugs are concerned, there's nothing new under the sun. I think there were around 7 students who were involved in an incident back in the late 80s - at least one of them in my year was asked to leave as a result.

And then there was someone was kicked out for football hooliganism at the Albion.

So many memories...

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007

I was in the year above EastLondonGull and vividly remember his shock victory in the School Singing contest. :blush:

It's bizarre - Mr (Keith) Silk was one of the teachers that I really liked and got on with. I was in his class when the Albion got to Wembley and quite understood when about 85% of the class weren't at school that Saturday morning. He was a big Watford supporter, if I recall correctly and took the football with Peter Brookes.

Mr (Miles) Leonard (Housemaster of St Georges) was a genuinely nice guy. 'Possession and aggression' was his infamous breaktime rugby teamtalk to all his teams. He passed away a few years back after spending years caring for mentally-handicapped kids over in the Worthing/Lancing area. Completely selfless attitude to life and people.

I saw Mr (John) Burdett (Music teacher) at Hove County Cricket ground a few times - instantly recognisable.

Other memorable teachers - Mr Thornborough, Mrs Chesterton, Mrs Eadie, Mrs Heater...

Could run a bit too, so ended up avoiding cricket and doing athletics in the summer which mostly consisted of lounging around on the High-Jump mat.
Didn't mind school that much, but loathed a particular housemaster so much that I ended up switching to School House where Mr Guthrie exerted a 'laissez-faire' style of man-managment. Much better for all concerned.

As far as drugs are concerned, there's nothing new under the sun. I think there were around 7 students who were involved in an incident back in the late 80s - at least one of them in my year was asked to leave as a result.

And then there was someone was kicked out for football hooliganism at the Albion.

So many memories...

Couple of points of correction:

1. It was definitely MISS Chesteron-died last year.

2. The hooligan you refer to was not expelled, merely suspended while he found out what real life Scum was like. Has gone on to become a pillar of the community and was very unlucky to get singled out for a very minor offence when the courts were looking to make examples in the mid 80's!

On a different note, there is no way Macintosh would be allowed to teach kids in this day and age!

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Couple of points of correction:

1. It was definitely MISS Chesteron-died last year.

2. The hooligan you refer to was not expelled, merely suspended while he found out what real life Scum was like. Has gone on to become a pillar of the community and was very unlucky to get singled out for a very minor offence when the courts were looking to make examples in the mid 80's!

On a different note, there is no way Macintosh would be allowed to teach kids in this day and age!
Mr Mac was a legend:lolol:

Mr Burdett was a nice bloke as was Mr Salisbury. In fact BCJS was a really good school thinking back...even if some of the kids there were knobs!

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Think the affair he had with a certain BC/England Junior Rugby Player's mother did for him!!

Never minded him, but never really got on the wrong side of him.
Oh dear. Didn't he marry one of the other teachers as well, I can't remember her name but I think she taught me biology (and was a lot younger than him, and quite pretty too I seem to remember).

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
Oh dear. Didn't he marry one of the other teachers as well, I can't remember her name but I think she taught me biology (and was a lot younger than him, and quite pretty too I seem to remember).

No, that was Brewster!! Must have been something about the science teachers.

And Stan was doing one of the sixth form girls (sloppy seconds eh EII)!

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
I do believe Claire Connor is involved with cricket coaching at BC
Hoppo was schooled there too .... Barcombe lad
Alan Wells is the Master of Cricket at St Bedes.

I'm a firm beliver that good players don't necessarily make good coaches/teachers though.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey

No idea what happened after me... you were either in his clique or you weren't...... I was in and out but near the end his sadism took over... to be fair he admitted when he was beat though....

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey

So many memories...

Those names bring back memeroes. Mr Leonard was ok and I liked Burdett he really tried to help me.... I think Chesterton was the biology teacher and she I hated with a passion. Went to BC with biology as my favourite lesson and he snobbery pretty much destroyed me first lesson. Sorry to hear she died, though. Was Thornborough the Physics teacher who looked like he was in the second world war with his straight back and white beard. And what was the name of the plump older History teacher who loved telling stories to world war 2?

Last edited:

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Those names bring back memeroes. Mr Leonard was ok and I liked Burdett he really tried to help me.... I think Chesterton was the biology teacher and she I hated with a passion. Went to BC with biology as my favourite lesson and he snobbery pretty much destroyed me first lesson. Sorry to hear she died, though. Was Thornborough the Physics teacher who looked like he was in the second world war with his straight back and white beard. And what was the name of the plump older History teacher who loved telling stories to world war 2?
Mr Macintosh.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Mr Macintosh was the history teacher - was kicked out of Eaton for kiddy fiddling (they called it "the usual thing"). He was my form teacher for one year. He liked to have pretty kids sit on his lap whilst he rolled up their sleeves!! I recall Tony Lewis and I(not in the least bit pretty) sat in the front row just ripping the piss, but oddly, he was a very likeable man.

Miss Chesterton was a dragon - she was known to beat people with a size 13 show she referred to as "Mr Dunlop" - it was a heavy soled greenflash. She also had Mr Bongo I think - I drumstick with one of those round heads that she would clatter people with.

Mr Thornborough was Head of St Patricks. After the war he represented Britain in the Winter Olympics at bobsled. Was a very nice but very formal guy.

Left the Junior school in 1979, so I'm a bit older than some of you chaps.

Exiled in Indooroopilly

I found this spoon sir
Feb 12, 2009
No, that was Brewster!! Must have been something about the science teachers.

And Stan was doing one of the sixth form girls (sloppy seconds eh EII)!

How VERY dare you! And she looked nothing like George Michael either!

Exiled in Indooroopilly

I found this spoon sir
Feb 12, 2009
I recall Tony Lewis and I(not in the least bit pretty) sat in the front row just ripping the piss, but oddly, he was a very likeable man.

Small world, know Mr Lewis well. Last seen in Horsham and still moaning at refs/umpires/linesmen...........................

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here