Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton Boundary Pillars on A23

Sompting_Seagull

Jun 8, 2011
North Stand
just out of interest, does anyone else salute the stone pillars marking the boundary? I started about 20 years whenever I came back from away games and have never failed to adhere since, making my wife do it too, I also like to shout SEAGULLS too. OCD perhaps?

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
No-but they should be painted or something-something that says ""THIS IS BRIGHTON""they are just a bit too inconspicuous and tell outsiders nothing as the currently are.

Sompting_Seagull

Jun 8, 2011
North Stand
No-but they should be painted or something-something that says ""THIS IS BRIGHTON""they are just a bit too inconspicuous and tell outsiders //nothing as the currently are.

True, also remember BHA graffiti on pretty much every bridge over A23 on way upto Crawley, maybe some gifted sprite could do that again, not that I'm advocating illegal graffiti or am I?

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast

Sergei's Celebration

Jan 3, 2010
I've come back home.
just out of interest, does anyone else salute the stone pillars marking the boundary? I started about 20 years whenever

You are joking right? that is the weirdest thing...as i do exactly the same thing. I always salute when i go past them, if i dont i think it will be bad luck and a rubbish weekend.

At least that make two of us that are crazy!

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
You are joking right? that is the weirdest thing...as i do exactly the same thing. I always salute when i go past them, if i dont i think it will be bad luck and a rubbish weekend.

At least that make two of us that are crazy!

The principle is ok-i have witnessed every day Falmers build on the way to work-i still salute/marvel/whatever-the pillars just tell me we are in the official boundary but that's all.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Would be nice if they could have Albion banners on them for the 6th

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I always smile because I know I'm back home when I see the pillars.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Err. Brighton people call them pylons. When the Road was only two lanes they were closer together, much more noticeable and just like driving through a gate to the promised land, or out of it to the smoke.
A23_pylons_1992_s.jpg

simonsimon

Dec 31, 2004
Moves should be made to put another pillar on the other side of the motorway. After the number of lanes was increased we are left with an odd layout.One pillar on the end, one in the middle and blank on the far side.

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
Agree, I think it would be better if both were on either side of the carriageway coming into Brighton. They have no meaning at all to people leaving the city, and I, like thousands of others, never notice them on the way out.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Don't drive much nowadays but always used to blow a kiss to the West Sussex boundary signs as I was coming back into the county... became a rather strange habit!

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
As a 'good luck' gesture, I used to salute the gargoyles on the houses on the Drive as I walked past them on my way to the Goldstone... *coughs*

KNC

Sep 3, 2003
Seven Dials
Agree, I think it would be better if both were on either side of the carriageway coming into Brighton. They have no meaning at all to people leaving the city, and I, like thousands of others, never notice them on the way out.

I've always thought there should be another one.
If I had the dosh, like.......

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
You tend to forget local words when you move away from Sussex. If I was giving directions to a Donny fan and mentioned pylons marking the boundary they would be looking out for electricity pylons. :lol:

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
You tend to forget local words when you move away from Sussex. If I was giving directions to a Donny fan and mentioned pylons marking the boundary they would be looking out for electricity pylons. :lol:

What do they use to mark the entry point into Grimsby out of interest sog?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here