Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton Boundary Pillars on A23

mlg57

Oct 20, 2006
Milton Keynes
Excellent thread

I always considered I was home (when I lived in Brighton) when we passed the pylons. I think my Dad used to say it when i was a youngster. Now when I come down to visit family I always time myself to the pylons and still consider I am home when I pass them.

Flex Your Head

Isn't it the case that that the Pylons are still the same distance apart that they always have been; the southbound lane now occupies the same space that both north and south once did, so the western pylon is in the central reservation, and the eastern is on the edge of the southbound carriageway. Or am I wrong?
Nope, you're right.

I've driven through them so many times, they've kind of lost any real resonance other than that I'm about 15 minutes from my destination.
I've heard them described as the A23 pillars rather than pylons, but I quite like 'the Brighton stones' as a couple of my London mates refer to them.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
And from what I recall that stretch was one of those "suicide" roads with a lane each way and a central lane that could be used by overtaking traffic in either direction!

fire&skill

Killer-Diller
Jan 17, 2009
Shoreham-by-Sea
We live in hampshire and on the way down to every game , we go past the Sussex county sign .. And me and dad both go GOSBTS every time :). Maybe a bit crazy but oh well :D

I do the trumpet fanfare from GOSBTS every time I pass that sign - usually the one on the Petersfield to Midhurst stretch of the A272.

So, no - not crazy :thumbsup:

cdargonne

brighton seagirl
Mar 1, 2009
sussex
It's been a tradition we always sing seagulls as we go past... I also get a urge going past falmer... lol good thread!

jackcgull

Feb 1, 2008
Amersham
my grandad always sang 'i do like to be beside the seaside as we went through'. now I always start an away goal kick style aaaaaaaahhhhh as soon as i see them and then sing the song as i go through.

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
In my younger days for a while I worked in Manchester. When coming home on the train for a visit, the sight of the windmills Jack and Jill was my sign that I was (almost) home.

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
Talking about saluting,I remember there was always an AA man with his motorcycle and sidecar who used to park near them and salute all those who had an AA badge on their car. Also,not sure which year,but there was about a mile of 'rubber' road laid down as an experiment,it was really smooth to drive on but it's downfall was it was slippery when wet.....(That's what she said last night!!)....

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Never lived in Brighton, so for me they mean nothing.

Sompting_Seagull

Jun 8, 2011
North Stand
Talking about saluting,I remember there was always an AA man with his motorcycle and sidecar who used to park near them and salute all those who had an AA badge on their car. Also,not sure which year,but there was about a mile of 'rubber' road laid down as an experiment,it was really smooth to drive on but it's downfall was it was slippery when wet.....(That's what she said last night!!)....

He would struggle to read the badges at the speed people go through them now then.

I thought you were going to say 'Rubber road.....it was really smooth, but the tyres disappeared'....Fetches coat....

Devon Seagull

Sep 25, 2004
South Devon
My dad always saluted the Pylons. He had and we do have good cause to as my great grandfather paid for one of them back in 1928. So we salute in his memory and for being back in Brighton safely.

PFJ

Not the JPF ..splitters !
Jun 22, 2010
The Port of Noddy Holder
Always cheered when passing through the Pylons.My Dad would always cheer when passing through them.I started when travelling by road on school trips (most of the kids also did it to my suprise)and later to away games in the seventies.Still did it coming back from Liverpool this year.
I still wince at the memory of that middle overtaking lane which could be accessed by cars going in either direction.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
Never lived in Brighton, so for me they mean nothing.

same here.

For me it's a chorus of 'Sussex by the Sea' as I pass the West Sussex sign, usually coming down the M23.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here