Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton and Hove Albion V Ipswich Town ****Official Match Thread****

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
We don't have enough goal scorers in the squad. I spoke about this "inevitability" about our play earlier in the season. We go a goal down and there is just nothing we can do from that point. We might sneak a draw but thats it. Someone needs to do some stats on the result depending on who scores the first goal. Today the same thing has happened that I have seen in about 40 games now. We press, dominate, few shots here and there, 60th minute they score, we then bring on Lua Lua and either draw 1-1- or lose.

It's nothing to do with goal scorers. Look at Burnley they have a very average squad but look what they are doing, they come out and play positive attacking football from the word go. Sure a lot of that is down to confidence but still when you compare their squad to ours you're left wondering how they are doing so much better.

NSC seems to have conditioned itself to believe that we play sublime, attacking creative football when we simply do not. Ever. You could stick the worlds 11 best attacking player on the Amex pitch but if they were forced to play in our terrible system they'd never look like scoring either.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
We dominated possession but did we ever truely look like scoring? Same problem as every week we're completely clueless around the 6 yard box, final balls and decision making are permanently lacking.

I think March's free kick summed it up. A good position, all the players in the box and completely overhit so that Ince can only try to keep it in play. Their 2nd goal was due to a precise pass - something we can do all over the pitch apart from the opposition penalty area :( We could play 4 up front and still not score with our current standard of delivery!

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
One plus point the Club Stream is superbe.

Miami Seagull

Grandad
Jul 12, 2003
Miami Florida, USA
It's nothing to do with goal scorers. Look at Burnley they have a very average squad but look what they are doing, they come out and play positive attacking football from the word go. Sure a lot of that is down to confidence but still when you compare their squad to ours you're left wondering how they are doing so much better.

NSC seems to have conditioned itself to believe that we play sublime, attacking creative football when we simply do not. Ever. You could stick the worlds 11 best attacking player on the Amex pitch but if they were forced to play in our terrible system they'd never look like scoring either.

Burnley play EVERY game with two strikers, home and away. Both are leading goalscorers in the division. The rest of the squad is fairly thin, just goes to show the value of playing 2 good scorers up front. Even if we had them, I don't think this management team would play them. We'll still stick one up front.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Disagree entirely, there are a number of players on the pitch capable of scoring goals. The problem is the system.

We attack so slowly and methodically that teams have ample time to arrange themselves in 2 banks of 4 so we're incredibly easy to defend against, leaving us to pass it around aimlessly on the edge of the box or float balls into the box that most of the time Ulloa can't do anything with.

Players should be encouraged to look for balls forward quicker, to break with more pace and play riskier balls around the box or we will simply never score goals. We could stick Falcao up top in this team but we still wouldn't score goals because he would not get any decent service.

4-4-2.

yep , the build up play is all very nice with the crisp , accurate passing but by the time we get the ball to the oppositions end they are already set up with no space in / around the box........extremely frustrating. the object is to win the game by scoring more goals than the other lot...........you can't do that by poking it around in your own half.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Not sure I agree with that - Burnley have 2 of the top 4 scorers in the Championship this season (Ings 25 and Vokes 19) - I'd gladly give up a couple of our midfielders for one of those 2!

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Burnley play EVERY game with two strikers, home and away. Both are leading goalscorers in the division. The rest of the squad is fairly thin, just goes to show the value of playing 2 good scorers up front. Even if we had them, I don't think this management team would play them. We'll still stick one up front.

But they are NOT playing 'top goal scorers' they had Barnes and Vokes up front today... Both at best average strikers in this division. But they do a MUCH better job of giving them both the opportunity to score.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Biggest crowd of the season coming off the back of some great results coupled with winning putting us into the playoffs...was kind of inevitable it would all go pear shaped.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Not sure I agree with that - Burnley have 2 of the top 4 scorers in the Championship this season (Ings 25 and Vokes 19) - I'd gladly give up a couple of our midfielders for one of those 2!

What is so hard to understand? They are the top scorers because of everything that goes on behind that. I have NO doubt that if they had Ulloa then he'd have had near double what he has got here. If the strikers don't get the service they don't get the goals and it's completely irrelevant whether you're a world cup striker or you're a league two striker.

I should have really said "goal's coming from the rest of the team", I didn't mean 'strikers'. We simply don't have enough players supporting Ulloa with goals this season. Our plan B is to put Lua Lua on at the end of each game. Why we can't drop say Forster Caskey and start him from the off I do not know. Suppose it doesn't fit into the system as you say.

Burnely are doing what Palace did so well last season. Two good wingers, a striker or two who can goal poach and they simply attack and get balls into the box. It is the way of playing that does so well in this division. It's not bad football either. We as a club do play into this philosophy but we have to think about how we can win games full stop. At the moment we are trying to win games in a style that simply doesn't work at times.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here