Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton and Hove Albion - End of season player ratings

Bring back Bryan wade!!

I wanna caravan for me ma
Jun 28, 2010
Hassocks
I appreciate we still have a month and a half to go but I think we have seen enough of the squad to offer our opinions on how they have performed this season:

Ankergren - 8 out of 10. Casper has been solid inbetween the sticks for us this season. Due to our dominance over most teams he has not been as actively 'in the game' as other keepers have been in recent years but when called upon he has for the most part delivered. Distribution has been excellent though he needs to realise that at times he can catch the ball rather than punch all the time!

Calderon - 8 out of 10. Inigo showed his best form in September to December scoring an impressive 5 goals during this period and defending soundly. In my opinion his form has dropped off in the second half of the season with some recent sub-standard performances. Looking to see him come on strong in the last 10 games of the season

Greer (c) - 8.5 out of 10. Started the season suspended and was then promptly sent off in his first home game, yet from that point on he has been the natural leader that the Albion craved. Always talking to his back line, excellent positionally and for a centre back he also possess good vision and distribution going forward

El-Abd - 9.5 out of 10. Quite simply Albion's player of the season in my opinion. Poyet has turned him from an average defender into the most consistent League 1 centre back this season. Physically strong, excellent awareness for the game and a never say die attitude has seen Adam excel this season

Painter - 8.5 out of 10. Mr Consistency at left back this season, rarely puts in a below par performance. Links well with midfield and solid in the tackle

Bennett - 9 out of 10. Probably our stand out player in the first half of the season and a hugely talented midfielder. He will be pushing 30 assists by the end of the season which is a phenomenal achievement. Has contributed some goals as well but perhaps not as many as he would have expected. Still time to add to his tally though

Dicker - 8 out of 10. When he is in the zone Dicker is undoubtably the best passer of a ball on the club and he has
put in some outstanding displays. These have been tempered by a few sub-standard performances as well and he needs to work on his consistency

Bridcutt - 9 out of 10. Has made unbelievable strides over the last 3 months to the point where alongside Bennett he is the first name to be pencilled into the midfield. Fantastic engine, the water carrier who breaks everything up. Give him a couple more years and he will be Premier league class

Kishishev - 9 out of 10. His experience has been invaluable this season and his form especially in the first half of the season has been majestic. Always makes himself available as an outlet to the player on the ball

Sparrow - 7 out of 10. Started the season with a bang scoring twice at Swindon but his form has been intermittent. Was outstanding away at Charlton but this was the exception to the rule. Will look to finish the season strongly

Noone - 7 out of 10. Looks an exciting prospect prepared to take on the man and delivery looks good. Expect to see the best of him next season

Lua-Lua - 9 out of 10. Gave us the X Factor when he was in the
side. Always capable of blasting one in from distance or creating goals for others with a mazy run. Fingers crossed he will be wearing the blue and White stripes again next season

Murray - 9.5 out of 10. Has pushed El-Abd all the way for player of the season. Credit to him for working so hard pre-season getting himself in great nick. Has the touch and technique to grace higher divisions and virtually wins everything in the air. Our target man and without him we would not currently be sitting top of the table. 17 goals and counting..

Barnes - 9 out of 10. Has taken a lot of unnecessary flak on this board but put it into perspective. 14 goals in his first full season of professional football is a magnificent achievement. Vital contributions in recent weeks, was outstanding against Carlisle. Still a baby with his best years ahead of him.

Wood - 7.5 out of 10. Has done well for us on loan, notching half a dozen goals. Again a player who blows hot and cold. Massive potential though and Gus rates him. Expect a move in the summer if we get promoted

Squad players

Brezovan - 6 out of 10. For me has looked shaky when called upon this season. Lacking the confidence of not playing regular 1st team football which must be tough

Elphick - 7 out of 10. When called upon has deputised solidly. A good back up option to Gordon and Adam

Taricco - 7 out of 10. Our number 2 has provided solid cover this season for Inigo. Hasn't looked out of place when required

Smith - 7 out of 10. Started the season well with some decent early displays. Not sure he is good enough to make the step up next season as a Championship squad player though

Sandaza - 7.5 out of 10. Started slowly but in recent weeks you can see his value off the bench. An old style goal poacher, may be retained as a squad player next season

Holroyd - 5 out of 10. Never seemed to grab any of the few opportunities that came his way. Good luck at Bury, that is probably your level.

The Manager

Gus - 10 out of 10. Has taken to management like a duck to water. Tactically astute, a great man motivator, articulate and engaging. We love you Gus

prawnsarnies

Jan 20, 2010
I would agree with all bar 1 of your ratings, I would give Wood 8.5, he started very slow, but has come on leaps and bounds with regular games and fits into whichever system Gus uses.

GYM

Jan 4, 2010
Leeds
Again I would probably agree with most of that except wood and barnes.

I'd give wood 8/10 started slowly but has come on leaps and seams to know his game. But still with bags of potential.
Same with barnes 8/10 has all the potential to be a "20 goal" striker consistantly but has areas he needs to work on and 9/10 doesn't give him that room.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
I would disagree that we have seen enough of the players to make end of season ratings at this point... remember Loft and Hart 2 seasons ago. They were non existent all season and then, all of a sudden, were simply amazing in the last month.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
I would disagree that we have seen enough of the players to make end of season ratings at this point... remember Loft and Hart 2 seasons ago. They were non existent all season and then, all of a sudden, were simply amazing in the last month.

Agreed. Far too early for end of season ratings. Still 13 games to go!!

stss30

Apr 24, 2008

This.

seagullwedgee

Aug 9, 2005
If the season finished yesterday then my top 4 for POTS are:

1. El Abd (hanging on)
2. Bridcutt (closing very fast)
3. Murray (for hard work and goals)
4. Bennett (for assists).

It's all about opinions so I'm sure many people will think mine is gash!

Wedgee

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
If the season finished yesterday then my top 4 for POTS are:

1. El Abd (hanging on)
2. Bridcutt (closing very fast)
3. Murray (for hard work and goals)
4. Bennett (for assists).

It's all about opinions so I'm sure many people will think mine is gash!

Wedgee

I think this is gash! :lol:

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
The current average (league) match NSC rating for players:

Ankergren 6.51
Calderon 6.40
El Abd 6.93
Painter 6.70
Greer 6.77
Elphick 7.03
Bennett 6.99
Kishishev 6.80
Sparrow 6.04
Dicker 6.58
Bridcutt 6.97
Smith 6.51
Battipiedi 5.89
Wood 6.35
Murray 7.40
Barnes 6.34
Dunk 7.41
Baz 6.74
Hart 5.50
Sandaza 5.78
Navarro 7.00
Lualua 7.23
Holroyd 5.62
Taricco 6.10
Noone 6.52

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Agree with the majority of scores, but giving Barnes a 9 is extremely generous when he only converts around 9% of the chances he gets.

El-Abd Player of the season so far followed by Murray & Bennett.

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
The current average (league) match NSC rating for players:

Ankergren 6.51
Calderon 6.40
El Abd 6.93
Painter 6.70
Greer 6.77
Elphick 7.03
Bennett 6.99
Kishishev 6.80
Sparrow 6.04
Dicker 6.58
Bridcutt 6.97
Smith 6.51
Battipiedi 5.89
Wood 6.35
Murray 7.40
Barnes 6.34
Dunk 7.41
Baz 6.74
Hart 5.50
Sandaza 5.78
Navarro 7.00
Lualua 7.23
Holroyd 5.62
Taricco 6.10
Noone 6.52

Dunk player of the season then?

Bring back Bryan wade!!

I wanna caravan for me ma
Jun 28, 2010
Hassocks
I may have been a bit premature with this thread, but looking at the ratings I would stick with my original scores, how do my fellow NSC posters rate the players this season?

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Great ratings,pretty much spot on i would say.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I knew El Abd had a good season, but 9,5 - wow, I'm amazed you all rate him that highly.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
Ankergren-7 Has made some vital saves but distribution has been poor. Wouldn't trust him as Number One next season
Calderon-7.5 Not as impressive as last season for me, but still a pivotal part of the squad. Has also chipped in with some vital goals. KEEP
Greer-7.5 Has turned out to be a great signing- natural born leader, but lets his temper get to him too easily. KEEP
Elphick-6 Was left out of the majority of the season to simply not being as good as El-Abd and Greer. Wouldn't mind keeping him as backup, but he is not a Championship starter.
El-Abd- 8.5 Has improved no end and wears his heart on his sleeve. KEEP
Painter- 8.5 Mr Consistency. Has shown his class in both attack and defence. KEEP
Bennett-8 Went off the boil for a few games after the Norwich attention but has created so many chances. I would say the most exciting and creative player in our arsenal KEEP
Bridcutt-9 Has been an absolute revelation. His speed, strength and distribution have been superb all season. Can see this lad going really far. KEEP
Lua-Lua-8 The man just oozes class. Every time he gets the ball, you know something is going to happen. Would love to see him in an Albion shirt next season. Sign at any cost.
Kishishev-7 Has put in some great performances for us this season. Makes up for what he lacks in pace with tough tackling and experience. Wouldn't mind seeing him stay on another season if he doesn't retire.
Baz-5 Looked to have something there but don't think he can perform at this level. Wouldn't keep hold of him, but we should definitely go out of our way to sort him out with a contract somewhere.
Batti-4 Has been so disappointing when he has played. Don't think he would even cut it at L2 level. Same goes with Baz though, should hook him up somewhere as the lads made a huge choice coming here and it just hasn't worked out.
Sparrow-6.5 Had really high hopes for him after Swindon, but has found himself out of the first choice 11 due to average performances. Wouldn't be difficult to replace.
Dicker-7.5 Has looked shaky at times, but when he performs, he is our key man. KEEP
Navarro-7 So unlucky with that injury against Northampton. Feel he has a lot more to offer, but remains to be seen whether he is challenging Bridcutt for a start.
Noone-7.5 Has looked very exciting when he has come on. Unlucky not to get more starts. Would love to see him getting more action next season. KEEP.
Smith-7 Looked really promising at the start of the season- has great potential. KEEP.
Barnes- 7.5 Has done well to get the amount of goals he has done this season but can't help but feeling he is too lightweight for the Championship. Still young though, so worth keeping.
Murray-9 How would we replace a player like Glenn? Has really shown how vital he is for us this season and has repaid the faith paid in him. KEEP
Sandaza-6 Has scored some vital goals but ultimately will never be pushing for a start. Think we can do better for next season.
Wood-6 Underwhelming from his WC performances and rave reviews. Has scored some vital goals but wouldn't be happy if we parted with cash for his services.

Gus-10 The man is a god.

Last edited:

seagullondon

Mar 15, 2011
How on earth can you say Ankegren's distribution has been poor?!

I got as far as him reading your piece and will not read the rest as you are clearly a moron

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here