Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton accent

Weatherman

Jun 10, 2008
My mums family were from the Newhaven area and my grandfather, who died 4 years ago at the age of 96, was from Piddinghoe or 'Piddnoo'. All had strong East Sussex accents which i've heard in the older people all along to Rye.
I worked in London about 20 years ago and they thought i sounded like a farmer, but i was living in the Cambridgeshire Fens at the time and might have picked up some of the Norfolk/Midland accent they have there.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
I had a mate at Uni who came from the Isle of Wight, wich on a good day you can see from Cissbury Hill in Findon and he DEFINITELY had a yokel accent.

Said things like "gurt biggun" when us normal folk would say "My, that's impressive"

I worked on the Isle of Wight for a bit (which you can also see from the top of Longridge Avenue in Saltdean on a good day too) and they were f***ed. My favourite was 'nammet' which they always stopped for like elevenses. The rule was you ate anything that wasnt meat, 'No meat' is what it meant. Barmy place.

Jahooli

Feb 12, 2008
Not so much about accent this question but when I moved down from Blazingsmoke over 25 years ago there were phrases like "got the knock" that I hadn't heard before, is that a Brighton/Sussex saying?

Basingstoke WAS a chaming market town until the London overspill stuff and a lot of people spoke like yokels but now it's almost the same as here, Guildford, Crawley etc but there were words used there like "somewhen" which I don't hear down here.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
Whoa. What?

People outside Sussex don't play Stoolball?

No wonder they don't have the same satisfaction with life.

Those poor bastards. :down:

it spills over into kent. they still have to live in kent though, no amount of quaint rural games can make up for chatham.

CliveWalkerWingWizard

Aug 31, 2006
surrenden
Brighton born and bred (although lived in liverpool for 8 yrs) I can not say TH words - Three is Free and there is more lare.

I went to varndean school - the kids from varndean and stringer appear to have a very middle class accent.

My little girl is going very middle class but my son is developing my brighton mockney - strange ?

andybaha

Jan 3, 2007
Piddinghoe
Whenever my I go away to meetings oop north I quite often get nicknamed 'the Cockney', So to northeners a Brighton accent sounds very similar to a London one.

You know when you hear your own voice you hate it, well I always think I sound really common. But I remember hearing some people being interviewed on the TV and thought how common they sounded and then it said they were from Brighton and I realised they talked the same way as me. So i guess that is a Brighton accent and I am proud to have one.

There are a few folk out here in Firle who speak with a genuine Sussex accent and I've come across people in Brighton who have what they know to be a genuine Brighton accent (very different from the Sussex one).

Bob Copper spent some time in Hampshire (as a policeman - he was Police Constable Bobby Copper!) and he always reckoned that it affected the way he spoke, but I reckon most casual listeners would take his accent and that of his son, John, as being fairly mainstream examples of a Sussex rural accent - even though the family came from Rottingdean / Peacehaven.

There's a difference between East and West Sussex as well. A good marker of a West Sussex accent is how people pronounce "Chid'rster".

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
I have a Brigh'un accent and proud of it. The distinctive word is albow instead of elbow. I hadn't realised the bin/sin thing but it's dead right. Using words like twitten is dialect not accent.

O and the knock or knocky means having a strop (very 70's Brighton).

Gilliver's Travels

Peripatetic
Jul 5, 2003
Brighton Marina Village
My parents (Brighton and Newhaven-born) had a distinctive way of pronouncing words like 'out', and especially 'down' - something like daeouwn'. For me, that marked them out as having a definite Sussex accent. Touch of the Fred Streeters (RIP)

Nowadays, I imagine I just sound like a generic southerner. But out here, the locals only have to hear me speak and their eyes light up; then they immediately ask whether I come from Partridge Green, or, quite possibly, Woodmansterne.

All right. I'll fess up. Most of the time, people reckon I'm German.

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
There are a few folk out here in Firle who speak with a genuine Sussex accent and I've come across people in Brighton who have what they know to be a genuine Brighton accent (very different from the Sussex one).

Bob Copper spent some time in Hampshire (as a policeman - he was Police Constable Bobby Copper!) and he always reckoned that it affected the way he spoke, but I reckon most casual listeners would take his accent and that of his son, John, as being fairly mainstream examples of a Sussex rural accent - even though the family came from Rottingdean / Peacehaven.

There's a difference between East and West Sussex as well. A good marker of a West Sussex accent is how people pronounce "Chid'rster".

Whereas newcomers call it "Chi".
Being a proud Brightonian I find great difficulty in saying "They are". It always comes out as "Thare" The manager of BBC Radio Suffolk picked it up when I was talking to him a few years back and he instantly asked if I was from Brighton. He used to work for BBC Radio Sussex in the 80's and had heard the phrase many times in Brighton.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I'm told the way i pronounce the words theatre, water and cow mark me out as being from Brighton.

I am surprised we are still discussing it as Nibble told us a couple of pages ago that there is no Brighton accent because it isn't on Google :rolleyes:

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I'm Shoreham born but from stock from Portslade and Worthing. I have been told that I sound like a cockney several times on trips around the country. Mind you it may be we are tarred with the same brush. Can anyone here tell the difference between a North and South Wesh accent ? or the difference between Sunderland and Geordie ?

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I went to varndean school - the kids from varndean and stringer appear to have a very middle class accent.
I went to Varndean and the reason that the kids have a middle class accent is because the vast majority of their parents are professionals and not many kids from outside the boundary get to go there. In the 1970's you only went to Varndean if you passed the 11 plus so there were very few of us who went there who lived on council estates as the junior schools in these areas were poor.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here