Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton accent

TWAT i always thought was funny, in Brighton, the term has generally been used as a friendly offensive term to close mates, in the north, a twat was worst than the C word. That took a bit of getting used too. And we also swear Kant insead of C***.

Was not Was

Loitering with intent
Jul 31, 2003
I'd say there's much less differentiation between different accents in the South East now (ie they sound less different from each other than they used to) AND there are fewer people with distinct local accents (maybe because we tend to move around more).

As a teenager in Hastings, you could hear distinct Hastings, Rother, Brighton, Eastbourne accents. Not sure that's true anymore, but I left Sussex 20 years ago so can't be 100% sure. Is it just that I'm not 'tuned in' anymore?

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Yes, and I was responding to your response to seagullsoversgrimsby's post, which was making the same point as my post! :thumbsup:
My post is basically saying that if Carlsberg made accents , ours would be the best in the world. :)

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
right , I have a serious question that I want answering

is it true that the Australlian accent is what the general Sussex accent originally sounded like before it got watered down by Cockneys and other such accents?

or just an urban myth?

Yes, and I was responding to your response to seagullsoversgrimsby's post, which was making the same point as my post! :thumbsup:

Well sorry if you thought I was having a go at you, I wasn't! :thumbsup:

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Brighton used to have an accent, slightly west country in tone and rythm. brighton no longer has an accent.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
right , I have a serious question that I want answering

is it true that the Australlian accent is what the general Sussex accent originally sounded like before it got watered down by Cockneys and other such accents?

or just an urban myth?

The Aussie accent is similar due to the transportation of criminals from the South of England to Australia in the 1800's. Those from rural parts of Sussex wouldn't have noticed the difference over there as there were still plenty of sheep to shag. :lol:

Soul Finger

May 12, 2004
My friends in London say that I say 'Bwryt-on' instead of 'Bright-on'.

As far as I'm aware, I don't have any form of speech impediment.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
How far north and how far west of Brighton do you have to go before people stop having the Brighton accent??

Slap bang in the middle. brighton doesn't have an accent anymore!

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
There must be a Brighton accent. When I moved to East Anglia over 30 years ago I met a Professor of English who within 5 minutes of talking to him told me I must come from Brighton because of my accent.

John Lees on BBC SCR who has lived in Hove all his life has it too.

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
Slap bang in the middle. brighton doesn't have an accent anymore!

So how far north or west do you have to go until you notice that people have an accent?

North, people in Watford sound prety much the same as Brighton, but if you get as far a Leicester, they speak funny innert

When you go west, Southampton doesnt seem to have any kind of twang, but when you further west a little more, they speak like farmers???

But then the further north you are, there seems to be a different accent every 30 miles

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
So how far north or west do you have to go until you notice that people have an accent?

North, people in Watford sound prety much the same as Brighton, but if you get as far a Leicester, they speak funny innert

When you go west, Southampton doesnt seem to have any kind of twang, but when you further west a little more, they speak like farmers???

But then the further north you are, there seems to be a different accent every 30 miles

I believe you have answered your own question. You go as far as you need until they sound all differant like.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I had a mate at Uni who came from the Isle of Wight, wich on a good day you can see from Cissbury Hill in Findon and he DEFINITELY had a yokel accent.

Said things like "gurt biggun" when us normal folk would say "My, that's impressive"

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
There must be a Brighton accent. When I moved to East Anglia over 30 years ago I met a Professor of English who within 5 minutes of talking to him told me I must come from Brighton because of my accent.

John Lees on BBC SCR who has lived in Hove all his life has it too.

I think the important part of that statement is over thirty years ago

People born, bred and have stayed in Brighton still have the accent, I refer to my family.

Normally the core of a city accent is it inner city?

In Brighton, we have the rare situation, of having people from London and other areas, making up a good proportion of the population.

But out of the inner core the local accent still remains strong to me.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
This is just non-sense. It is just a southern accent. An attempt to try and be something special like when people pretend they are cockneys.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006

I dont know what parts of Southampton you've been too but the relatives I've got down there talk with a very strong Hampshire accent.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here