Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton 2 - Bristol Rovers 8 - December 1973

Sausage

The wurst of the wurst.
Dec 8, 2007
I wasn't there but..living in Bristol, as I now do, I get reminded about this on average every 0.3 seconds by Gasheads. Still..at least they're not Shitheads.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Why the f*** Are they doing a piece on that game?

f*** SAKE

Or are we going to YET AGAIN get the footage of Nigel on the bench with his dad. And then Brian Moore interviewing him in the studio.

f*** sake YAWN. Glad my licence fee contributes to this SHIT.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
The only time that whole season we were on the telly...shameful
My photoshoot rate is £500 per day, minimum (20% commission to agent)

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Couldn't they do a piece instead on Albion going to the City Ground and beating the European champions?

At least that was filmed by BBC cameras and we haven't seen much footage from that.

The 2-8 game is readily available on the internet and was recorded by ITV.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Don't you just love the simplicity of the shirts. Certainly no sponsorship, they don't even have the makers name or the club badge.

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
Don't you just love the simplicity of the shirts. Certainly no sponsorship, they don't even have the makers name or the club badge.

very few shirts in the early seventies had badges or any embroidery as it wasn't technically possible to be done cheaply and easily. The advent of computerised garment manufacture and the move from cotton based shirts to man made fibre made it possible later in the seventies and eighties......

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
I was there.. aged 10... not sure I can remember enough to be useful... other than it being rather miserable :nono:

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
I was just doing someone a favour by asking, so if anyone wants to give their views PM and I'll get the beeb guy to contact you. Cheers

No worries. Wasn't trying to shoot the messenger. I apologise if that's how it landed with you. I'm just annoyed with the BBC for being so stingy with their football archives down the years.

Covering this game from The Big Match won't show any footage we haven't yet seen whereas a different match, from the BBC archives, probably would.

ElkieB

Jun 24, 2008
Peacehaven
My first ever football match. Taken with a few friends as a birthday treat, but dont remember too much other than continually hearing Bannister and Warboys being announced as scorers.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I was there. On the train on the way over I said to my mate "I hope it's not a boring 0-0!" Wish I'd kept my big mouth shut. From memory I don't think we knew it was televised until we got there and saw the camera gantrys, they didn't used to announce the televised games in advance in those days as they felt that, even though it was just highlights, the presence of cameras would stop people from going!

PS - Not being a media whore I have no wish to go on TV or radio and discuss it.

Joe Gatting's Dad

Feb 10, 2007
Way out west
The game should never have been played due to a frozen pitch.

Unfortunately, the intended televised game was at Stamford Bridge and was postrponed. TV cameras moved to the Goldstone and TV did not want another game postponed, unlike all the Albion players - hence the result.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I was there.. aged 10... not sure I can remember enough to be useful... other than it being rather miserable :nono:

Similar tale from me but I was the rather more tender age of 6. I still remember the excitement about Clough taking over and also the feeling of disbelief from the older Albion fans as we filed away from the ground. There was a fair bit of anger as well as one may imagine. But the Palace 3-1 hurt more!

APACHE

LONGTIME DIEHARD
Feb 18, 2011
THE PROMISED LAND-SUSSEX
Yes I was there that day, all that can be said is that what could have gone wrong did, but remember that at the time the players said that they were in awe of Clough and many knew that their days at the club were numbered. Still whatever happened to Bristol Rovers?

Sep 7, 2011
shoreham
lol i was there as a spotty 13 yr old I think this was the game that john vinicombe,s headline in the argus was Unlucky Brighton and my dad a non football fan said how can you be unlucky 8 times in the same match:facepalm:

Sweeney Todd

Apr 24, 2008
Oxford/Lancing
I was there, aged eight, and at the Walton & Hersham game a few weeks later.

Cloughie was on The Big Match the day after the Rovers game, and joked about Albion's performance, which annoyed me.

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
never forget it,smash & grab (bannister & warboys)

if i remember rightly,we started cheering their goals in the end,brian powney had a nightmare

when the final whistle went,the north stand charged over to the south to have a go at the pirates fans,you could see them running left & right trying to get out

actually,we got out own back on them,by drawing at their place on the final day of the season,pretty sure it cost them the title,but they still went up

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here