Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton 2 - Bristol Rovers 8 - December 1973

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I was there and outside the Corals greyhound stadium when their coaches came past. Not that I condone any of THAT sort of stuff and anyway I was only 13 and selected because of my good throwing arm.

''I see the lights are flashing,
We`re all going Bristol bashing''

mune ni kamome

Jun 5, 2011
Worthing
I was there but I don't remember being too down about it. Clough's arrival was the important thing and we all knew something amazing was about to happen, and yes the general concensus at the time was that the players were nervous about the new boss.

highway61

Jun 30, 2009
I was there and outside the Corals greyhound stadium when their coaches came past. Not that I condone any of THAT sort of stuff and anyway I was only 13 and selected because of my good throwing arm.

''I see the lights are flashing,
We`re all going Bristol bashing''

Am afraid i remember the incidents too, recall the ambush of there fans, of course like you i did not condone it, and my throwing arm was crap. Kicking leg was spot on though

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I was there and I was not especially despondent after the game. I think we knew the team weren't very good. Norman Gall was in the centre of defence. Luckily, I was ill and missed the Walton & Hersham match through illness. That would have been awful. I remember hearing the result of the FA Cup match on the radio in the kitchen of my parent's house (grim result heard in a grim place).

After the match the new signings commenced Peter Grummitt replacing Brian Powney and Peter O'Sullivan surviving the clear-out.

Last edited:

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I noticed that there was a small band of Rovers fans in the north stand to the left of the goal we were defending. You can see them jumping up after the first few goals. I would have imagined that they would have been surrounded, surely. I remember celebrating our second like we had won the game though.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
I was there, aged eight, and at the Walton & Hersham game a few weeks later.

Cloughie was on The Big Match the day after the Rovers game, and joked about Albion's performance, which annoyed me.

Walton & Hersham was before.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
fek i was there...erm...we lost 8/2 thts enough to remember ta very much...was awful..stayed to the end mind..no idea why....was it bannister that gt a few for them.....memory is a tad hazy

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
Were you there?

BBC are filming a piece about the game on Thursday, and need the views from a fan that was there. I said I would try and help them find someone

Any takers out there?

[yt]qEo8tpoEbr4[/yt]

I was there. A defining moment in the Albion's history , because (and correct me if I am wrong) didn't Brian Clough use it to radially change the club?

TNBA

TTF

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I noticed that there was a small band of Rovers fans in the north stand to the left of the goal we were defending. You can see them jumping up after the first few goals. I would have imagined that they would have been surrounded, surely. I remember celebrating our second like we had won the game though.

hmm..i think the word defending should be removed from that comment..lol

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
Just watched the video , after my first post. A few things of note:

1)The pitch looked amazing for December, I seem to remember quagmires. The goalmouths looked a touch boggy though.

2)Quite a strong Albion team .

3)Templeman- used to streak down the left wing ad cross into the West Stand

4)Beamish- Still remember his miss from 0.1 micron vs Ipswich in the league cup

5)Sully- Great!

6)Tony Towner- My master! Class act.

Thanks for posting this, reminds me of my youth. He must be a grown lad by now?

TNBA

TTF

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Anyone remember Clough screaming at Beamish to get up when he was down injured? It may not have been this game but was obviously around that time. Clough's voice carried across the pitch in a lull in play. Quite rude i thought at the time.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I was there. Still have the programme. 8-2 was a freak - they were better than us, but every time they booted the ball into our half in the second half, Warboys or Bannister ran after it and booted it into the net!

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
I was there and at the Walton game just a few days before. Conceeding 12 at home in 4 days is something some of the current moaners on here can only dream of!

Everytime Rovers attacked, crossed, goal. A look at the lino, then the ref but all in vain. 1-5 at half time, it just wasn't real.

Rovers were very good, big and strong but, like an earlier poster said, we drew at Eastville on the last day of the season and denied Rovers the Championship (Oldham won it).

Positives? Well it was December and we became the 1st team to score 2 in a match against Rovers that season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here