Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brezovan....Brightons Number One. FDM thank you and goodnight.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I can't work out how to multi-quote

Click the button next to 'quote' (looks like a page from a note pad with "+ next to it) on the posts you want to quote, in the order you want to quote them. Then click 'post reply' on the bttom left of the thread.

This doesn't work on my work computer (using aol).

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
It pains me that so many Albion fans are always waiting to bury Kuipers. We are in the 3rd tier of football and he's certainly been as good and consistant as any other keeper, at this level, over the years and has won us a load more points than he's lost.

Thank you, Mr G. Whatever one's thoughts on the relative merits of the two, and for me Brezovan has shown himself worthy of the shirt regardless of Michel's fitness currently, it really bugs me that people are prepared to be so dismissive of Kuipers during a (hitherto) shit season.

This is a man who's overcome being subbed at H/T on his debut, dropped by various managers, loaned out, injured in a car crash and God knows what else during his time with Brighton, but is still here, still as positive as ever, an ambassador for the club. A man who's won two Championships with us, kept goal in the second tier, a level we've seen precious little of for the last decade or so, and pulled off some unbelievable saves at important times for us. The save he made from almost point-blank range against Blackpool a few seasons back, with the striker already celebrating, was easily the greatest save I've ever seen live.

I realise he's made mistakes. His kicking's always been, well, shit, frankly. He gets caught in two minds if given time to think, and gives you palpitations if he's coming out to clear a back pass with a striker bearing down on him. He's not always confident under the high cross. But he's not bloody Peter Schmeichel, FFS, and was never going to be. The negativity levelled at him in the past by one or two people who seemed determined not to like him no matter what is really frustrating. Even if his best is behind us, even if he's coming to the end of his Albion career, I think his achievements and his loyalty to us have earned him the right to be cut just a little bit of slack, don't you?

Herme Hill - I don't think that people are overly critisizing Kuipers on this thread. He had been a brilliant servant to this club & will be remembered for a long time in Albion folklore.

However there comes a time for all players, when the club has to say thank-you & for one and all to move on. League football clubs are not like Japanese employers or British Airways where the employee expects a job for life!

We are moving into a new era with the Albion aiming for promotion next season.

Our squad will have to be better than this season.

I for one would much prefer to see Kuipers & OGH for instance playing in league 2 than floundering in our reserves? These players deserve better too.

Igor Gurinovich?

Mar 27, 2006
Southampton
Thank you, Mr G. Whatever one's thoughts on the relative merits of the two, and for me Brezovan has shown himself worthy of the shirt regardless of Michel's fitness currently, it really bugs me that people are prepared to be so dismissive of Kuipers during a (hitherto) shit season.

This is a man who's overcome being subbed at H/T on his debut, dropped by various managers, loaned out, injured in a car crash and God knows what else during his time with Brighton, but is still here, still as positive as ever, an ambassador for the club. A man who's won two Championships with us, kept goal in the second tier, a level we've seen precious little of for the last decade or so, and pulled off some unbelievable saves at important times for us. The save he made from almost point-blank range against Blackpool a few seasons back, with the striker already celebrating, was easily the greatest save I've ever seen live.

I realise he's made mistakes. His kicking's always been, well, shit, frankly. He gets caught in two minds if given time to think, and gives you palpitations if he's coming out to clear a back pass with a striker bearing down on him. He's not always confident under the high cross. But he's not bloody Peter Schmeichel, FFS, and was never going to be. The negativity levelled at him in the past by one or two people who seemed determined not to like him no matter what is really frustrating. Even if his best is behind us, even if he's coming to the end of his Albion career, I think his achievements and his loyalty to us have earned him the right to be cut just a little bit of slack, don't you?

A fair point, i never quite get anyone wanting an albion player to be unsuccessfull, it seems to go against basic logic, though this strikes me to come from some peoples distaste of other posters seeming devotion to every moment he plays as some sort of religious experience...
Personally think your summary is fair.. we play in the 3rd tier of football and many of our players are suited accordingly, FDM has strenghts and weaknesses, has made great saves and dodgy mistakes, depending on which side of the fence you sit dictates which you prefer to remember. Whether he stays or goes in the summer he's been a popular and loyal servant of the club and thats what i intend to remember him by..

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
We have two good goalkeepers for the level we play at.FDM played behind a duff defence at the start of the season and did his usual good job,with his usual blemishes.Brezovan has come in at a time when the team was on the up,and has done well,but let's not go overboard about the penalty saves.After all,it was his dud play that presented Exeter with the first,so just as well he saved it or he'd have been crucified on here.Brezovan has also been at some dire little clubs who have released him.......for some reason.

FDM or Brezovan when both fit ? Tough call,for which the manager gets his money.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Not on this thread specifically, Fozzie, but he's taken some stick from one or two in the past and the thread title was dismissive of him, IMHO.

I think some people may be slightly over critical of Kuipers because of the ridiculous reaction by a certain section of fans to anyone who dares to try and challenge him. Even Ben Roberts, who was clearly better than Kuipers, got some stick initially when he joined permanently. I think that people who don't quite agree that Kuipers is god maybe over state the case as a reaction to some of the posters on here. Also, to the person who said Kuipers is a Brighton fan, I am sure you are right but don't forget he has in the past demanded a transfer when dropped from the team.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
We have two good goalkeepers for the level we play at.FDM played behind a duff defence at the start of the season and did his usual good job,with his usual blemishes.Brezovan has come in at a time when the team was on the up,and has done well,but let's not go overboard about the penalty saves.After all,it was his dud play that presented Exeter with the first,so just as well he saved it or he'd have been crucified on here.Brezovan has also been at some dire little clubs who have released him.......for some reason.

FDM or Brezovan when both fit ? Tough call,for which the manager gets his money.

To be honest, I would have said Kuipers this time last month but now am very firmly in Brezovan's corner. When he first joined in December he didn't look quite right but the coaching staff have worked on him and he looks to be a great signing now. Since the mistakes in the Leeds and Charlton games, I don't remember him putting a foot wrong and we have conceded 1 goal in 5 games as a result. Brezovan was released by Swindon after a long term injury (having apparently been fantastic before that) and now he is getting games seems to have turned it round. As was said earlier, you cannot just say the defence has improved and not give the keeper any credit. The whole back four and keeper look more secure than when Kuipers was in goal.

I wouldn't necessarily be against keeping Brezovan and Kuipers if it was not for Kuipers injury record. It is very unlikely that he will go a whole season without getting injured which means you are bound to need a loanee at some point (unless you believe Mitch Walker is ready). Consequently, I would sadly release Kuipers this summer (mainly due to his injury record), give Brezovan a two year deal and sign a new keeper to compete for the number one spot with him.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I don't see the problem. Kuipers is 36 and his contract's up at the end of the season. Gus tells him he'll be No.2 from now on and, possibly, he'll be offered less money. Otherwise, he's free to join another club.

I haven't got a bad word to say about him - he's been a great servant to this club. Unfortunately, the Falmer Stadium is likely to come that little bit too late for him.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
I don't see the problem. Kuipers is 36 and his contract's up at the end of the season. Gus tells him he'll be No.2 from now on and, possibly, he'll be offered less money. Otherwise, he's free to join another club.

I haven't got a bad word to say about him - he's been a great servant to this club. Unfortunately, the Falmer Stadium is likely to come that little bit too late for him.

Agreed, at this stage in his career he must expect to fight for his place in the side. Gus has said he wants a 23 man squad for next year, this I would expect is 2 for every position plus 3 GK's. He thinks very highly of Mitch Walker so he maybe 3rd choice. Both Brezovan and Kuipers are out of contrat in June so we may not keep either.

Gus will only sign a goalie if the right one becomes available, he has only previously signed players who make a signifcant improvement on pre-existing options.

I hope Gus offers Brezovan the no1 spot and Kuipers a squad spot. He wouldn't be a bad option to have in the squad and he could be dropped in favour of Walker to gain experience without too much of a fuss due to his age and love for the club.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
There's a question mark over Kuipers, the No.2 spot and what his relationship with the defenders is really like.

People have raised the point about him blaming defenders for goals and if this IS an issue for the defence maybe he should go. I have no idea about this aspect but trust Gus will get it right.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here