Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brezovan....Brightons Number One. FDM thank you and goodnight.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
i **read somewhere** that it's an important part of a great keeper's pyschology NEVER to accept blame but to always blame others (while the game is in progress anyway). something to do with keepers needing to have massively high confidence and not a shred of self doubt or otherwise it ruins their game. makes some sense to me as keepers have to spend a lot of time standing watching and need to stay focused.

Defenders need confidence too: witness the difference between Elphick's performances in the last few weeks and his contributions in the first half of the season. Read into that what you will.

I see what you're trying to say, and I accept that keepers need to be dominant, but there's a world of difference between banishing all trace of self doubt and screaming and flouncing about at the nearest player when you've screwed up yourself (or even when they've screwed up).

I didn't see Gordon Banks throwing a tantrum at Bobby Moore when West Germany scored two in the World Cup final.

I just have a gut feeling that the players prefer having Brezovan there, just from reading between the lines of a few recent quotes.

Pat_Albion

Nov 10, 2007
BN41
He should definitely be given a new contract at the end of the season with Kuipers being released.Next season we should sign fon Williams and install Brezovan as the number 2 keeper :thumbsup:

agreed. With kuipers, every time the ball goes back to him i get nervous same as every cross or corner he comes flapping for. Im not saying Brezovan doesnt make mistakes ( as we have all seen ) but over the last few weeks hes filled me with confidence.

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
i **read somewhere** that it's an important part of a great keeper's pyschology NEVER to accept blame but to always blame others (while the game is in progress anyway). something to do with keepers needing to have massively high confidence and not a shred of self doubt or otherwise it ruins their game. makes some sense to me as keepers have to spend a lot of time standing watching and need to stay focused.

Is correct for some people at least.

If i put blame on my self, after one goal, thats it, expect three more within the hour.

I'll criticise my self when my confidance in my ability being torn apart by shit keeping on my part won't cost us another three goals.

Equally, having bigger, better players tell you your shit, in PE is nearly if not just as damaging.

I think Kuipers should lead the club out for one first team, full capacity match at Falmer, and then Retire. Its sympathy and what not i know, but a little bit of sympathy in football doesn't hurt in this context. Just one full first team game, as his testimonial.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Brezovan is a good keeper but come on he is not that much better if at all than Kuipers.

20100316keepersstats.jpg

I'd say the stats show him to be notably better. (It's now 6 wins out of twelve, those stats are from just after the brentford game)

Brezovan has unfortunately displayed on many occasions that he has a real weakness and that is catching and keeping hold of the ball. At least once a game he will drop one and sometimes it will just appear "run of the mill", then there are times where he will be punished, for example Wycombe.

Yes, winning 5-2. Brutal punishment. Yes, he may make a mistake now and again. But overall when he is in the team we win more frequently and we concede fewer goals.

I would rather have a keeper that can win 5 games out of 11 who happens to make one gaffe a match and occasionally that costs us, than a keeper who doesn't drop crosses (because he never comes for them) and needs 23 games to win 5.

the throw to Virgo towards the end of the Leeds game as well, that arguably cost us the match.

Only a stretch of an argument that absolves other players of any blame for their own action.

He is a decent keeper, but both him and Michel are very similar in ability as their pros are then out weighed by their cons. Brezovan is not the keeper that will get us promoted, yet neither is Michel, however he is an Albion fan and that is why he should be retained over Brezovan. They are both similar in ability, but Kuipers experience and will to win for the Albion for me makes him no.1.

So, they both have bad points that out number their good but, despite having more negatives than positives we should sign Kuipers because he is a fan.

Norman Gall is a fan, should we sign him? His bad points outweigh his good ones. Des Lynam is a fan, let's put him out on the wing in place of injured Lua Lua.

Sign him because he's a fan? Give me a break!

By all account ? ? ? You weren't even there and you're consigning FDM to the bin ? ? ? Shame on you...

I never said or inferred that I was at today's game!
Also I am a Kuipers fan

however,

the club have a history of sometimes being too loyal to our players. This is generally a good thing, however some players can become complacent?
The Albion management should surely be offering contracts to players based on their present performances & future prospects. Too often we seem to have given contracts based on past glories?
If we have aspirations for promotion next year Cox & Hart must go for instance & I am now thinking that Kuipers should be replaced, as I cannot see whether he could make the grade on a regular basis.

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
Brezovan is a good keeper but come on he is not that much better if at all than Kuipers. Yes he is playing alright at the moment and we have stopped conceding as many, however this is mainly down to the excellence of our full backs and renewed confidence between the 3 center backs.

Brezovan has unfortunately displayed on many occasions that he has a real weakness and that is catching and keeping hold of the ball. At least once a game he will drop one and sometimes it will just appear "run of the mill", then there are times where he will be punished, for example Wycombe.

I may be being picky now but the consolation goal against Charlton he seemed erratic and didn't need to come out, the throw to Virgo towards the end of the Leeds game as well, that arguably cost us the match.

He is a decent keeper, but both him and Michel are very similar in ability as their pros are then out weighed by their cons. Brezovan is not the keeper that will get us promoted, yet neither is Michel, however he is an Albion fan and that is why he should be retained over Brezovan. They are both similar in ability, but Kuipers experience and will to win for the Albion for me makes him no.1.
No, that should not be the reason to retain a keeper.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Is correct for some people at least.

If i put blame on my self, after one goal, thats it, expect three more within the hour.

I'll criticise my self when my confidance in my ability being torn apart by shit keeping on my part won't cost us another three goals.

Equally, having bigger, better players tell you your shit, in PE is nearly if not just as damaging.

I think Kuipers should lead the club out for one first team, full capacity match at Falmer, and then Retire. Its sympathy and what not i know, but a little bit of sympathy in football doesn't hurt in this context. Just one full first team game, as his testimonial.

I played in goal for years, and while I agree that confidence is vital, it's about telling yourself something wasn't your fault, and moving on. Not screaming blue murder at the defence. It's no good destroying them too, whether something was their fault or not. I just wonder at times if Kuipers does the players' heads in. He seems so highly strung, whether with them, opponents or referees.

Anyway, no room for sentiment here, sorry but I'm coming down on the side of the argument that says his time is up and he doesn't warrant a new contract. Neither do Cox and Hart, and I'm hopeful the current management/board will see through the sentimentality that has seen so many contracts handed out to players who haven't earned them in recent years.

No matter how good someone has been in the past, football is a business all about winning, about performances NOW, not five years ago. And as for the suggestion made by someone of keeping Kuipers on the basis that he's an Albion fan: oh PLEASE :rolleyes: I'm sure most lower league goalkeepers would be lifelong Albion fans if they got at least £75,000 a year and new contracts whenever they asked for one.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
just back from the game and thought I'd join in the fun

Brezovan was very good today. Perhaps his best performance for us so far.

Although we did struggle to contain Abbott the defence was generally sound and I have to say that I cannot believe that Brezovan's inclusion and their notably increased conficence and improved form are coincidental.

He does command the area - if a ball is crossed into his space around the 6 yard line then the defence know that he is pretty much always going to come for the ball. A defender will then drop off in case he misses it or drops it. Crosses further out are the centre backs' responsibility. Everyone knows their area to cover and they work together with certainty and confidence.

He also relieves pressure by distributing the ball quickly and reasonably accurately forcing the opposition defence to stay deeper.

Add effective full backs able to limit the extent of the threat from wide and two wingers able to give us an outlet to turn defence into attack and our improved form is readily explained.

Where we are still lacking in my view is central midfield - we do not get forward far enough or quickly enough to support Murray (another brilliant effort from him today btw - never never stops running and putting himself about).

But back to Brezovan v Kuipers...... assume we will add someone as our new No 1 - someone capable of performing at Championship level. Brezovan is likely (in my view) to be number 2. He is a better all rounder than Kuipers on current performance. That leaves Kuipers or Walker as No 3..........

If that were the case my money might just be on Kuipers getting a one year deal while Walker continues (hopefully) to develop. It might not be on the same money and he might say no if a longer contract is on offer elsewhere (as it well could be) but in my view that would be a very fair offer to an excellent servant to the club.

magoo

Jul 8, 2003
United Kingdom
As someone said on the radio, let's not forget the number of times Kuipers has won us games. Just because we might have found another good keeper it doesn't mean Kuipers' time is up. If he can stay fit next year there's no reason he can play another 2 or 3 years, many keepers do play into their late 30's.

Also if we are to be champiomship favourites next year then we need 2 good keepers not just the one.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Can we afford to sign both?

If you take the view, as some do, that neither are good enough to win us promotion/sustain us in the championship, we are going to have to buy/sign someone better, who will want higher wages.

Can we afford the new first choice keeper and Brezovan and Kuipers? Will either of them take a pay cut and drop down the pecking order? Yes, I know Bloom has a never ending supply of money, but he's not likely to want to waste it on high wages for a third choice player, is he?

Or, do people think these two alone are good enough (whichever one you think of as first choice)?

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
It pains me that so many Albion fans are always waiting to bury Kuipers. We are in the 3rd tier of football and he's certainly been as good and consistant as any other keeper, at this level, over the years and has won us a load more points than he's lost.

I'm happy with breadvan too and seems he had a great game yesterday but he, as most keepers at this level, is prone to the odd clanger and loss of form.

I don't think the keepers spot is the top concern when looking at the squad weaknesses. Michel may be nearing the end of his career but i think the 2 of them should compete for the spot next season.

The recent good form is a team thing, not just down to the keeper. All the current players have benefitted so laying the early season poor form at the door of the keeper (as the stats above) is not totally fair.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I am sure that I read that Brezovan wont signa contract as a No2 he must be gauranteed No 1 or no contract. Would FDM sign as a possible No 2 if not we may have a minor problem.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
I am sure that I read that Brezovan wont signa contract as a No2 he must be gauranteed No 1 or no contract. Would FDM sign as a possible No 2 if not we may have a minor problem.

I swear that you dream all this stuff.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle

Is that Brezovan who was without a club four months ago?

All this guaranteed no 1, Virgo's contract says he must play every week nonsense that people come out with is ridiculous. Footballers understand that they get a contract and then they may or may not get picked.

FLOG GNAW

Banned
Sep 21, 2009
Under Your Skin.
Anyway, no room for sentiment here, sorry but I'm coming down on the side of the argument that says his time is up and he doesn't warrant a new contract. Neither do Cox and Hart, and I'm hopeful the current management/board will see through the sentimentality that has seen so many contracts handed out to players who haven't earned them in recent years.

I know people will disagree but I think Poyet will give Hart a new contract. Hart can come on when we are 1 or 2 goals up with 15 mins to go and get stuck in, something most wingers can't/won't do. With 7 people on the bench we can affoard to have someone like Hart on there.

GK
2 Defenders
Center Mid
Winger
Striker
Hart

With Players like Virgo/El-Abd/Holroyd who can play in more than 1 of those positions that would be a very good strong bench. I know I was happy Hart came off the bench yesterday when Poyet could have brought on Forster or Cox.

Father Jack

Aug 21, 2005
Personally I think a new keeper will come in in the summer. The battle will be between kuipers and brezovan for a contract with Kuipers injury and brezovans good form I would say brezovan is in poll position for that spot.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
The recent good form is a team thing, not just down to the keeper. All the current players have benefitted so laying the early season poor form at the door of the keeper (as the stats above) is not totally fair.

The stats are for the entire season. Three of Kuipers wins are from before Gus joined us. So, if we're talking recent form, Kuipers comes off worse with only 2.5 wins in 9.5 appearances (half game v Wycombe which we won) as opposed to Brezovan's 6 wins in 12.

And even if you dismiss the wins and losses, there's the goals conceded stats, and the %of on target shots conceded.

Brightonfan1983

Jul 5, 2003
UK
I can't work out how to multi-quote, but to Edna and Foster, fair dos. Your arguments are logically put. The last two games I saw were at Southampton and Swindon - FDM was immense, whereas PB didn't look too comfortable. A few months can make a difference either way. :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here