Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I'm in the wine business
Now I understand your comments about natural wine. On which, I had two uninspiring and expensive bottles from some independent shop in Rome last week, which were the same price as two stunning bottles in a Rome restaurant/wine bar recommended by @Herr Tubthumper -- Timorasso (I'm a big fan of the one from Massa) from La Spinetta (which I've visited previously) and Chianti Riserva from Isole e Olena. This interest hails from previously working in the wine business, for Oddbins and then as a journo. Who do you work for?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I heard a tale of a French Border Control Officer getting short tempered with an elderly American who didn't have his passport ready. He asked him if he had never travelled outside the US before, the Yank said he had, the border guard said well you should know then, to have your passport ready, and the Yank said it was a long time ago that he last travelled outside the US, and nobody asked him for a passport, when he parachuted into France in 1944.
No idea if that is a true story, but it was told to me by a French man.
That 'tale' has been doing the rounds for decades.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

UK clothing sales to EU plummet as Brexit red tape deters exporters​

UK exports of clothing and footwear to the EU have dived since Brexit, according to a new study that shows the extent to which complex regulations and red tape at the border have deterred firms from sending goods across the Channel. Exports of clothing and footwear sold to EU countries have fallen from £7.4bn in 2019 to £2.7bn in 2023, helping fuel an 18% slump in sales of all non-food goods exports to countries covered by the EU single market, according to the consultancy Retail Economics and online marketplace Tradebyte.

https://www.theguardian.com/busines...les-eu-crash-brexit-red-tape-deters-exporters

UK Farmers Face Post-Brexit Struggles: Rising Costs, Bureaucracy, and Environmental Policies​

Farmers in the UK are grappling with rising costs, fluctuating supermarket prices, and a new post-Brexit farm payments scheme. Many argue that the scheme prioritises environmental policy over food productivity, creating additional challenges for the agricultural sector. According to Innovation News Network, farmers face excessive bureaucracy to access government grants while being undercut by cheaper food imports from countries with lower welfare standards. This discontent has the potential to discourage future generations from pursuing careers in farming, posing a risk to the UK economy.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/money/other/uk-farmers-face-post-brexit-struggles-rising-costs-bureaucracy-and-environmental-policies/ar-BB1nHje0?ocid=hpmsn&cvid=602161165cfe4c49bc359929056bffd3&ei=17

shhh.jpg
Shush, don't you know there's an election going on and everyone wants to focus on growing the economy in order to avoid tax rises :laugh:

Last edited:

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
Done a Frexit, now in London
I heard a tale of a French Border Control Officer getting short tempered with an elderly American who didn't have his passport ready. He asked him if he had never travelled outside the US before, the Yank said he had, the border guard said well you should know then, to have your passport ready, and the Yank said it was a long time ago that he last travelled outside the US, and nobody asked him for a passport, when he parachuted into France in 1944.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Leave voting victims at the heart of the collapse of trust in British politicians. Meanwhile the grifter in chief Farage is still saving follow me...

Though Leave voters expressed relatively high trust levels in government in 2020 in the wake of the Brexit withdrawal agreement, that confidence has been eroded amid disappointment that quitting the EU has failed to produce promised economic benefits, increased sovereignty and lower immigration.

Nearly half (48%) of Leave voters now say they “almost never” trust government to put the needs of the country above their party, up 23 points since 2020. Levels of distrust among Remain voters have also risen, at 42%, up 16 points since 2020.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Leave voting victims at the heart of the collapse of trust in British politicians. Meanwhile the grifter in chief Farage is still saving follow me...

Though Leave voters expressed relatively high trust levels in government in 2020 in the wake of the Brexit withdrawal agreement, that confidence has been eroded amid disappointment that quitting the EU has failed to produce promised economic benefits, increased sovereignty and lower immigration.

Nearly half (48%) of Leave voters now say they “almost never” trust government to put the needs of the country above their party, up 23 points since 2020. Levels of distrust among Remain voters have also risen, at 42%, up 16 points since 2020.
Unless their only reason to vote leave was to have UK parliament make more of the decisions, they were always going to be disappointed. Too many promises that either directly conflicted with each other, or were just pure fantasy.

bazbha

Mar 18, 2011
Hailsham

Or just maybe its also the fact that following the referendum our own MP's did everything they could to overturn the will of the people & we had to finally have a General Election to "get Brexit done"? A lot more to it than that I'm sure but it still stank to high heaven. I don't think I can remember the 2 main parties ever both being this anywhere near this bad at the same time. It really is depressing.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
To be honest, the rudest border control officer I ever came against was American at New York. Almost had people in front of us in tears with his pettiness and demeanour.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Or just maybe its also the fact that following the referendum our own MP's did everything they could to overturn the will of the people & we had to finally have a General Election to "get Brexit done"? A lot more to it than that I'm sure but it still stank to high heaven. I don't think I can remember the 2 main parties ever both being this anywhere near this bad at the same time. It really is depressing.
Remember there was only ever one remain and numerous forms of Leave, there was no plan at all. In the end it was only deliverable loaded with Johnson's 2019 lies. In the end the Vote Leave government has destroyed the Tory party

Anyway, we're all losers now and nothing will really improve until we begin a sensible relationship with our neighbours.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Now I understand your comments about natural wine. On which, I had two uninspiring and expensive bottles from some independent shop in Rome last week, which were the same price as two stunning bottles in a Rome restaurant/wine bar recommended by @Herr Tubthumper -- Timorasso (I'm a big fan of the one from Massa) from La Spinetta (which I've visited previously) and Chianti Riserva from Isole e Olena. This interest hails from previously working in the wine business, for Oddbins and then as a journo. Who do you work for?
A wine bromance.

Only on NSC

:lolol:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
<sigh>

The referendum was advisory. 'Will of the people' my arse. Set that aside....after the outcome, apart from some remoaners (who are free to moan) everyone quickly agreed to 'Get Brexit Done'. But how? Nobody agreed what 'leave' meant.

The main instigator of the cabal who kept voting down May's attempts to 'get Brexit Done' was .....Johnson. He voted against one plan that, after he carpetbagged his way into number 10, became his own plan. It was all about him, as per usual.

We haven't got 'Brexit done'. The Irish border is still not setteled. We have various other issues around trade that will have to be dealt with at some point. And the number of illegal immigrants has absolutely sky-rocketted since we left the EU.

The only party that stinks to high heaven is the Tories.

You narrative is a load of nonsense from some sort of parallel universe, designed so you can diss Labour as 'all the same'. Boring.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
The fact is that it was illegal as proven in the High Court in February 2019, as admitted by the government QC.
As it was only advisory, it couldn’t be annulled.
Alexander Boris de Pfeffle forced it through with lies and confidence tricks as even Farage has said it has failed.
IMG_0354.jpeg

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Remember there was only ever one remain and numerous forms of Leave, there was no plan at all. In the end it was only deliverable loaded with Johnson's 2019 lies. In the end the Vote Leave government has destroyed the Tory party

Anyway, we're all losers now and nothing will really improve until we begin a sensible relationship with our neighbours.
This is the key thing that needs to be repeated over and over again. It explains the difficulty politicians faced in implementing the decision -- not that that will be recognised by those impatient at untying c45 years of complex legal documents overnight. But it also points the finger at one David Cameron for allowing such a stupid question on the ballot paper, which was inevitably going to lead to there being multiple forms of Leave.

bazbha

Mar 18, 2011
Hailsham
<sigh>

The referendum was advisory. 'Will of the people' my arse. Set that aside....after the outcome, apart from some remoaners (who are free to moan) everyone quickly agreed to 'Get Brexit Done'. But how? Nobody agreed what 'leave' meant.

The main instigator of the cabal who kept voting down May's attempts to 'get Brexit Done' was .....Johnson. He voted against one plan that, after he carpetbagged his way into number 10, became his own plan. It was all about him, as per usual.

We haven't got 'Brexit done'. The Irish border is still not setteled. We have various other issues around trade that will have to be dealt with at some point. And the number of illegal immigrants has absolutely sky-rocketted since we left the EU.

The only party that stinks to high heaven is the Tories.

You narrative is a load of nonsense from some sort of parallel universe, designed so you can diss Labour as 'all the same'. Boring.
Boring from the man who spends half his life posting lengthy lefty threads on here! I quite like my parallel universe thanks. We agree on one thing. The implementation of Brexit has been a mess. This Government is a joke. So that's probably 2 things we agree on. I don't think Labour are the same but I would suggest the 2 main party leaders are almost interchangeable. However the current shower of a Government are so bad he can't do much worse!

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
It was the Brexity MP's that blocked May's brexit deal, Johnson saying that it would create a border between the UK and N. Ireland, they then voted through Johnsons Brexit deal, which created a border between the UK and N.Ireland.
It wasn't MP's stopping brexit, it was trying to get a consensus on what Brexit should look like, as pretty much every "we could" promise of the leave campaigners meant breaking another "we could" promise of leave campaigners.

Last edited:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
It was the Brexity MP's that blocked May's brexit deal, Johnson saying that it would create a border between the UK and N. Ireland, they then voted through Johnsons Brexit deal, which created a border between the UK and N.Ireland.
It wasn't MP's stopping brexit, it was trying to get a consensus on what Brexit should look like, as pretty much every "we could" promise of the leave campaigners meant breaking another "we could" promise of leave campaigners.
Johnson became leader, and PM promising an oven ready deal and then panicked because he hadn’t realised the NI border problem and to an extent the Gibraltar border which is still in dispute, now.
Sunak still had to sort it out last year so Stormont could resume power.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Boring from the man who spends half his life posting lengthy lefty threads on here! I quite like my parallel universe thanks. We agree on one thing. The implementation of Brexit has been a mess. This Government is a joke. So that's probably 2 things we agree on. I don't think Labour are the same but I would suggest the 2 main party leaders are almost interchangeable. However the current shower of a Government are so bad he can't do much worse!
Your parallel universe is based on a pack of lies, but if it makes you happy.

Reactions: A1X

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Apologies. My reply was rude.

It may be ludicrously misplaced but, at the moment, I have hope. Hope of better. It may not be very good (what with the state of the economy) but with a different flavour, maybe. Better. Hopefully.

I cut the tories a lot of slack during the early Cameron years because of the obvious detriment of the global financial crash. I was irritated that they blamed Brown (what part of global financial crash does one not understand?), and I felt that austerity went on too long as part of a deliberate 'rebalancing' - of wealth into the hands of the wealthy, and a strategy to render a more compliant workforce (commendable objectives if you a wealthy Tory, and I can't argue with it, except for its stealth), but it was how they then leapt into Brexit (remember Cameron wanted to remain) and everything that followed that was so grim and avoidable and annoying. Very annoying..

Maybe Labour will f*** it all up. Or maybe they will give us a bit of what Blair gave us for seven or so years - hope, a sense of wellbeing and optimism, openness to diversity and so on. Niceness. I like niceness. I don't like snarling from our political leaders, and I don't like scapegoating. I can get all that at home :lolol:

Anyway.....let us hope we both get what we want which, I suspect, is exactly the same thing :thumbsup:

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Remember the dear old Brexit bus?

'We send the EU £350 million a week'
'Let's fund the NHS instead'.
'Vote Leave'.

My mate is in the Royal Sussex County Hospital. He has cancer. His latest bout of chemo gave him a heart attack. His third one from chemo.
He has a 'Do Not Resuscitate'.
He went in to A & E on Sunday, and was still there in the chaos of A & E, 48 hours later. There wasn't a bed for him.
He is now on a ward, and they have told him they won't give him any more chemo.

He voted Leave.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here