Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

jaghebby

Mar 18, 2013
I didn't mention EU workers,and there are plenty of people working here under the supervision of their own nationalities who have little or no English.I suppose they are underneath your loftinesses notice, in backward areas like Crawley.

Yes I see exactly your thinking on this!!

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
One side claims the problem is immigration and the other claims it is nothing to do with immigration but rather it
is something else like perhaps lack of spending. Perhaps the truth is a bit of both ?

Perhaps the truth is Sovereign decision making. Our decision. Most leavers will give this as a reason before immigration. Everything else follows from self-control. Simples. We had it for centuries, self-control so why not now?

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
You can believe what you want but the fact is that we spend less of our GDP on health than other developed countries and we have an ageing population with the over 65's taken up two fifths of the NHS budget and this is increasing. That's why the NHS is under pressure and is absolutely nothing to do with immigration.

Blaming the problems of the NHS entirely on immigration is wrong and is one extreme end of the spectrum (cant say ive read anyone on here actually saying this though).
Given there are 8.6 million people living here who were born abroad, 5.6 million living here with non British nationality its fairly safe to say these numbers contribute to the numbers that require NHS services.
Your assumption that immigration has zero impact( "nothing") on The NHS is equally bizarre and just fits into the other extreme end of the spectrum.

jaghebby

Mar 18, 2013
Blaming the problems of the NHS entirely on immigration is wrong and is one extreme end of the spectrum (cant say ive read anyone on here actually saying this though).
Given there are 8.6 million people living here who were born abroad, 5.6 million living here with non British nationality its fairly safe to say these numbers contribute to the numbers that require NHS services.
Your assumption that immigration has zero impact( "nothing") on The NHS is equally bizarre and just fits into the other extreme end of the spectrum.

With the majority of those people working and paying taxes which help fund the NHS I think your argument is just plain wrong. However, I think instead of nothing I should have said negligible! But what I do know is that harping on about how controlling migration will miraculously solve the problem of funding the NHS is laughable. The real debate needs to be an open and honest one about how the NHS is funded in the future and how we might spend a substantially greater portion of the nations wealth on health.

jaghebby

Mar 18, 2013
Perhaps the truth is Sovereign decision making. Our decision. Most leavers will give this as a reason before immigration. Everything else follows from self-control. Simples. We had it for centuries, self-control so why not now?

How we organise and fund the NHS has and always was subject to "Sovereign" decision making and to be frank we have been pretty shit at it so far!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Pot,kettle,black.

Rubbish. I regularly contribute to food threads, beer threads, running thread, travel and music as well as politics. I have never ever have seen you stray from this thread once. You have **** all to offer. You are totally and utterly defined by this topic. No wonder you're so bitter

The Maharajah of Sydney

Jul 7, 2003
Sydney .
BrExit discussion, speculation etc... (merged threads)

Falls US7c & €4.5 in 2 mins.
Hollande's comments being attributed to the fall but more likely a Fat Finger in a thin market I think.
Pound recovering swiftly now.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
I'm gutted this has all happened with Brexit, it really is pushing me towards continuing to work in Asia. I have some income from renting out my family home in Sussex though and whilst my earnings over here improve should I bring them back to the UK, the rent money is now not worth converting to currencies and is instead encouraging me to save it up in the UK banks (despite awful interest). Who knows if the whole UK goes tits up I might finally be able to afford to live in Brighton one day! Unless Chinese and Russians buy everything up and feck the younger generation's situation up even more.

Tory Boy

Jun 14, 2004
Brighton
I'm gutted this has all happened with Brexit, it really is pushing me towards continuing to work in Asia. I have some income from renting out my family home in Sussex though and whilst my earnings over here improve should I bring them back to the UK, the rent money is now not worth converting to currencies and is instead encouraging me to save it up in the UK banks (despite awful interest). Who knows if the whole UK goes tits up I might finally be able to afford to live in Brighton one day! Unless Chinese and Russians buy everything up and feck the younger generation's situation up even more.
So you don't live in the U.K., thus don't currently come under EU rules, yet moan about those at home who also don't want to live under EU rules.

Interesting.

TB

mwrpoole

Sep 10, 2010
Sevenoaks
Triggered by an algorithm based on key word(s) in a news story apparently. Has recovered to $1.24 and €1.12 so far but still not great.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
It's now beyond a Brexit spin story. A low pound is good for exports but it has now fallen so low, that the negative affects will soon be felt in your energy bills, fuel costs and imports being so expensive as to push up prices in the stores. It's not a good thing to fall to such low levels. The FTSE can do as well as it likes, but unless you are a fatcat and major shareholder, you aren't going to get anything positive from it.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It's a shame the governments 'anti bad news algorithm' did kick in and work as well as the Albion's anti club bad news algorithm does on here.

What was actually happening, and what we all actually thought would have popped up in seconds.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
It's now beyond a Brexit spin story. A low pound is good for exports but it has now fallen so low, that the negative affects will soon be felt in your energy bills, fuel costs and imports being so expensive as to push up prices in the stores. It's not a good thing to fall to such low levels. The FTSE can do as well as it likes, but unless you are a fatcat and major shareholder, you aren't going to get anything positive from it.

......or virtually anyone with any kind of pension fund......?

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Just shows how weak the GBP is at present and how low it could go as Brexit progresses.
Keep smiling as we have our country back even if its currency is virtually worthless

golddene

Jul 28, 2012
It seems the Brexit effect is starting to bite and the uncertain period we've been going through since the 23rd is finally beginning to take shape, I hope I'm wrong but I can only see worrying times ahead getting much worse before there is any improvement, still on the bright side it should have the desired effect of some who voted out, who in their right mind would want to migrate here under these current economic and political uncertainties, with the party I have always voted for now completely unelectable with no viable opposition to the conservatives giving them a mandate to do whatever they want. No doubt the usual suspects will delight in informing how "they won, live with it etc etc" I just hope we don't all live to regret the decision, even though I personally could not vote as I was living out of the country at the time but would certainly have been remain had I been here.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
It's a shame the governments 'anti bad news algorithm' did kick in and work as well as the Albion's anti club bad news algorithm does on here.

What was actually happening, and what we all actually thought would have popped up in seconds.
They need to set up a communications office in Chailey.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Triggered by an algorithm based on key word(s) in a news story apparently. Has recovered to $1.24 and €1.12 so far but still not great.

Are we supposed to believe this? Why don't the UK government ramp up the pound with a few well chosen words then?

Here, I'll try.....pound....sterling.....good. Fill yer boots everyone.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here