Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Me to,i know uniformity can work in favor,but we originally signed up to the common (trade) market and slowly,year by year that agreement gets further from what people who in 1975 voted to stay in.

One of the great themes of the original referendum campaign was the concept of 'shared sovereignty', the concept of giving up some of our national rights in order to have a share of others'. This was the practical effect Churchill's great dream of 1948 and the Telegraph actually said that this (relatively) novel idea seemed to be taking over the debate. To suggest that people just discussed trade is a myth I'm afraid.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
UK Brexit deal will be inferior says Dr Muscat and that the UK is between a rock and a hard place.

No worries though we have our country back and everyone is happy

D

Deleted member 22389

With your lack on knowledge you could be the shadow foreign minister

This isn't the same Muscat who said his own country is failing to cope with the influx of migrants is it?

I bet he doesn't mind the money us Brits spend in his economy visiting Malta, which makes up 30% of his visitors, but soon none of us will be able to go anyway, Britain will be closed off and nobody will be able to leave. May be we need to ask the Russians how they manage to get to countries like Malta and Spain for their own holidays.

The EU is like a sodding dictatorship, nobody is allowed leave and even when we said we are leaving they are still trying to dictate our terms. I'm glad we left.

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
IMHO a vote against the EU and a Londoncentric Establishment. A vote against uncontrolled immigration and against the woeful 'deal' DC negotiated. A vote against scaremongering and a vote against the Establishment mantra that leaving the EU will be a catastrophe for the country. Most Brits are a pragmatic lot and believe we'll muddle through whatever. It won't be a catastrophe or some kind of paradise, will be somewhere in between, the same as if we had stayed.

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
The EU is like a sodding dictatorship, nobody is allowed leave and even when we said we are leaving they are still trying to dictate our terms. I'm glad we left.

It's easy to shout but you make a lot of mistakes in very few words. Anybody is allowed to leave the marriage but we haven't filed for divorce yet. When we do both parties will negotiate. They are no more trying to 'dictate' than we are. And we haven't left yet.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
One of the great themes of the original referendum campaign was the concept of 'shared sovereignty', the concept of giving up some of our national rights in order to have a share of others'. This was the practical effect Churchill's great dream of 1948 and the Telegraph actually said that this (relatively) novel idea seemed to be taking over the debate. To suggest that people just discussed trade is a myth I'm afraid.

How you just love to re-write history,does the truth hurt?The referendum vote was about 'do you think the UK should stay in the COMMON MARKET' in 1975-the EU was foisted on everybody in 1993,without recourse to any citizen vote.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
It's easy to shout but you make a lot of mistakes in very few words. Anybody is allowed to leave the marriage but we haven't filed for divorce yet. When we do both parties will negotiate. They are no more trying to 'dictate' than we are. And we haven't left yet.

Don't they quote EU politicians in the sort of press you read (if,indeed,you read any) ?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
How you just love to re-write history,does the truth hurt?The referendum vote was about 'do you think the UK should stay in the COMMON MARKET' in 1975-the EU was foisted on everybody in 1993,without recourse to any citizen vote.

I think you're the one re-writing history.

As has been posted several times on this thread, that is not strictly true. Yes, the vote was to join the EEC but as the ultimate aim was full integration and ever closer union, you can't claim that it was foisted on everybody without recourse. It's the second line of the Treaty of Rome - written in 1957 - so it's certainly not something sprung on us.

Jan 30, 2008
UK Brexit deal will be inferior says Dr Muscat and that the UK is between a rock and a hard place.

No worries though we have our country back and everyone is happy

OF COURSE WE ARE, WE WOULDN'T HAVE IT ANYWAY YOU WEAK DEFEATIST, the UK standing on it's own two feet MAKES YOU FEEL PROUD ???
regards
DR

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

Unless you were lucky enough to live in Denmark ( who got two chances to get the right answer ), or France, Italy or Ireland. For some reason the UK government were too chicken shite to give us one.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I think you're the one re-writing history.

As has been posted several times on this thread, that is not strictly true. Yes, the vote was to join the EEC but as the ultimate aim was full integration and ever closer union, you can't claim that it was foisted on everybody without recourse. It's the second line of the Treaty of Rome - written in 1957 - so it's certainly not something sprung on us.

Ted Heath admitted in an interview a few years after the referendum that the plan was always a European superstate with full monetary, fiscal and political union but this wasn't pushed in 1975 as it was thought it would turn voters against staying in. The Treaty of Rome just lists one of the aims as being more political integration not full.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009

Oh dear, this and other threads have been littered with your failures to understand simple points. The point I was making was that the concept of 'shared sovereignty' was a major discussion point at the time of the original European referendum. Are you saying that it wasn't?

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Don't they quote EU politicians in the sort of press you read (if,indeed,you read any) ?

I read and watch more about this than perhaps I should. In answer to your question, my regular daily newspaper quotes European politicians and officials frequently and from this I can see that some of them are setting out likely negotiating points. These are quite forceful on occasions but I have never seen anyone attempting to 'dictate' to anyone else. I appreciate though that some newspapers like to present almost anything coming from the EU as a threat and I also appreciate that some people believe what they say.

You referred to my newspaper. I read The Times every day (plus the Guardian and the Telegraph once a week). I don't always agree with it and I am not Murdoch's greatest fan but it is one of the most even-handed papers in its coverage and has some great columnists on either side of the debate. It doesn't attempt to browbeat anyone.

Now, what newspaper do you most often read?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here