Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
I believe you're mistaken here. The exit conditions/treaty under Article 50 require approval of the European Parliament and (by qualified majority) the European Council. There is no requirement for either unanimity in the Council or for individual member states to ratify.

its good to see you realise your earlier stance about trade agreements must be unanimously agreed is wrong

However, it is a fact that:
Any post exit trading arrangements between the UK and the EU/EEA have to be ratified by the EU Council (unanimously), the EU Parliament and each and every individual member state.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
At last,a remainer that actually acknowledges the impending doom of inevitability.....

:lolol: not quite but nice try. Just pointing out no one knows what they truely voted for on Brexit, the devil is in the detail. our leading politician is unable to say anything more enlightening than Brexit means Brexit. Shambles.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
:lolol: not quite but nice try. Just pointing out no one knows what they truely voted for on Brexit, the devil is in the detail. our leading politician is unable to say anything more enlightening than Brexit means Brexit. Shambles.

I know you are correct,but i have already factored in that we will be surrendering almost without question,free trade,the upside trade off will be control of borders and no freedom of movement......a price to pay short to medium term will be of a financial nature. This is the model i voted for,WTO for now and will be awaiting what Mrs May does,anything less will see Labour consigned to history,Conservatives fall and the rise of UKIP...

There is always,of course, the possibility of future problems within the EU allowing for some movement of the freedom of movement of people..

its good to see you realise your earlier stance about trade agreements must be unanimously agreed is wrong

Not at all, two separate things entirely; an Article 50 exit is about disengagement from the EU and has nothing to do with any future trading arrangements. Completely different legal basis too, hence the requirement for the latter(s) to have unanimous Council, MS agreement and to comply with the Treaties of the European Union.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Bexit. What does it mean for you?
Serious question asked of remainers and leavers.

Disappointing and the final affirmation that I don't fit any more. Nothing more though.

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011

I know what I voted for. It was all mentioned during the dog fight that was the referendum. No to Brussels law. Yes to legal co-operation. No open borders without control. Yes to proportional and tested immigration. Trade with the EU without tariffs. Military co-operation with our agreement to participate (not compulsory) NO payments to the EU. Yes to voluntary contributions supported by the voters. Absolute demand over Sovereignty and all that entails. A sole right to our fishing grounds, a right to support our industries and services. Unimpeded right to trade with the world without 27 other countries having to agree. A right to Freedom demanded by OUR ballot boxes and OUR political campaigns and lobbying. In street terms, F**k the EU commision, WE decide. That's what I voted for.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
I know what I voted for. It was all mentioned during the dog fight that was the referendum. No to Brussels law. Yes to legal co-operation. No open borders without control. Yes to proportional and tested immigration. Trade with the EU without tariffs. Military co-operation with our agreement to participate (not compulsory) NO payments to the EU. Yes to voluntary contributions supported by the voters. Absolute demand over Sovereignty and all that entails. A sole right to our fishing grounds, a right to support our industries and services. Unimpeded right to trade with the world without 27 other countries having to agree. A right to Freedom demanded by OUR ballot boxes and OUR political campaigns and lobbying. In street terms, F**k the EU commision, WE decide. That's what I voted for.

Sure, thats what you voted for, that is your interpretation of brexit. But you dont know what you may get because no one does. And YOU dont decide now, the politicians do

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
Sure, thats what you voted for, that is your interpretation of brexit. But you dont know what you may get because no one does.

It was what was on offer. Anything else is backsliding. You claimed no one knew what they were voting for. I've told you. If it doesn't occur that is hardly the voters fault is it? It would be the fault of our slippery politicians.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley

I promise you, we will not get tarriff free trade without freedom of movement AND a large contribution to the EU. Sovereignty will be subjective, we may end up adopting large parts of EU legislation, but without having had a chance to form that legislation, sounds like less sovereignty to me.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I promise you, we will not get tarriff free trade without freedom of movement AND a large contribution to the EU. Sovereignty will be subjective, we may end up adopting large parts of EU legislation, but without having had a chance to form that legislation, sounds like less sovereignty to me.

Remain making promises.......

...................whatever next?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I promise you, we will not get tarriff free trade without freedom of movement AND a large contribution to the EU.

I voted to leave and I'd be happy with that. Rivet's rather subjective interpretation of what we voted for doesn't apply to everybody (as mine doesn't). There were 17m voters, each with their own view on what Brexit means

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I voted to leave and I'd be happy with that. Rivet's rather subjective interpretation of what we voted for doesn't apply to everybody (as mine doesn't). There were 17m voters, each with their own view on what Brexit means

I wouldn't! That sounds like a degree of backsliding even the libdems would like!

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Sure, thats what you voted for, that is your interpretation of brexit. But you dont know what you may get because no one does. And YOU dont decide now, the politicians do

Exactly and if the politicians do not deliver-we (well i will) switch to a party that does seek the correct brexit changes....i have never voted anyone other than conservative and if they don't deliver a brexit with immigration controls...i will switch to UKIP.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum

If that doesn't happen,will you bore off?

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Exactly and if the politicians do not deliver-we (well i will) switch to a party that does seek the correct brexit changes....i have never voted anyone other than conservative and if they don't deliver a brexit with immigration controls...i will switch to UKIP.

A leading NSC Brexiter once explained to me, with enormous condescension, that there was nothing on the ballot paper apart from Stay and Leave. Leave got the most votes so leave we presumably will. We will no longer be members of the EU. That's it. Nothing less. But also nothing more. Leaving can mean Norway or, if you want, Singapore.

I imagine you prefer the Singapore option, the dream of a low-regulation tariff-free tax haven trading to the best of its ability with whoever it can. You're not alone. It's what Farage and the hard-Brexiters want. It's why they're creating rightwing equivalents of Momentum, fuelled by Arron's millions and committed to keeping the Tories 'clean'. They and you have every right to demand these things.

And politicians have every right to ignore you. It they do, they're not failing to 'deliver' a promise. No promise was made other (by implication) than to leave the EU if most people said they wanted to. All Brexit means is Brexit and all you mean by a 'correct' Brexit is the version of Brexit you personally want. Others may want something rather different (one of my friends in central London is quite happy to see free movement continue - he voted Leave for other reasons).

At the moment there is no mandate of any kind for anything other than to Leave the EU. Fight for your version of departure by all means but don't insist it is necessarily the people's wish.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
We don't need a Singapore option,a Norwegian option,or any other option than a BRITISH option.If the EU want to keep on trading with us on the current rules,they are very welcome.If they don't, it's their loss,we'll buy from someone else and weep a solitary tear as their economies slide round the u-bend.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here