Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Leaving could stop the freedom to move to those countries? People from the eu would not be able to move to the uk?

But in what capacity, work or just travel, the latter being obviously a ludicrous assumption ??

So with the disparity in wages and living standards we would have to continue with an undetermined amount of net migration to the UK with all of its consequences so that your friend of a friend can go and work in another EU country, any other reasonable system other than freedom of movement could cater for those professions or skill-sets any recipient country might require anyway.

Jan 30, 2008
but in what capacity, work or just travel, the latter being obviously a ludicrous assumption ??

So with the disparity in wages and living standards we would have to continue with an undetermined amount of net migration to the uk with all of its consequences so that your friend of a friend can go and work in another eu country, any other reasonable system other than freedom of movement could cater for those professions or skill-sets any recipient country might require anyway.

he's hard work :lolol:
regards
DR

Jan 30, 2008
Yes I was referring to working/living. The wage disparity is an issue. But this was in response to an assumption that only brexiters were deciding how to vote not based on the economy.
But anyway, surely a good thing would be to decrease the wealth disparity throughout europe? It seems a little contradictory to have a go at the rich and big businesses for not paying their way and contributing to the poor via taxes and then not help out poorer nations in the eu.

CHARITY STARTS AT HOME
regards
DR

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Yes I was referring to working/living. The wage disparity is an issue. But this was in response to an assumption that only brexiters were deciding how to vote not based on the economy.
But anyway, surely a good thing would be to decrease the wealth disparity throughout europe? It seems a little contradictory to have a go at the rich and big businesses for not paying their way and contributing to the poor via taxes and then not help out poorer nations in the eu.

Actually I agree with that. It is imperative that any country/currency area subsidizes its poorer regions in the interests of social cohesion and to prevent a downward spiral into poverty. We do much the same with areas such as the North East and N.Ireland. The EU has a common currency area (the Euro) and has not instituted such a system of transfers to poorer areas such as Greece and has instead imposed crushing austerity. The EU is about as poor an example of your desired system as can be found anywhere in the world.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Well, as I clearly do not understand, can you explain how leaving the eu will help keep freedom of movement?
Look back to your original comment, then read ppf's reply and understand his context. It makes perfect sense. It's the ambiguity that is catching you out.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I could assume he means that people voted to leave to stop freedom of movement. But that is not what he said. You should not make assumptions about what people mean, especially in sensitive areas such as this. Go on what they actually say.
On the surface, I agree. However in this context his views are well known. He is simply applying a statement in order to balance the point you made. In other words the issue was a cause celebre which motivated votes both for and against.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
And still we don't invoke article 50. Must be very frustrating for Nige

Why must he be frustrated, he has spent years trying to get a referendum, he succeeded, years hoping the vote would be Leave, succeeded, and do you really think after Ireland etc that the government who were cock sure the voters would be badgered into Remain, would actually invoke article 50 without pissing around....... perhaps the naive are those that think he must be frustrated.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here