Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I guess you are for Remain, so what you say to the 17 million who voted Leave if you where the Prime Minister?

I answered your question, that's all. The referendum never was legally binding. You should have checked that out before you voted really. If I was Prime Minister I'd probably point out that 16 million posple voted remain and a quarter of the population didn't bother voting at all. Then I'd resign and get my sucessor to sort the mess out.

c0lz

North East Stand.
Jan 26, 2010
Patcham/Brighton
I answered your question, that's all. The referendum never was legally binding. You should have checked that out before you voted really. If I was Prime Minister I'd probably point out that 16 million posple voted remain and a quarter of the population didn't bother voting at all. Then I'd resign and get my sucessor to sort the mess out.

It will happen it just when and how.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
$46.4 billion (10.1%) Nothing to worry about then ?

It's 3% of Germany's overall exports. I'm sure she'll be very concerned about even 0.00001% of her exports. Any leader worth their salt should be concerned about protecting their economy and helping to ensure it grows and does not shrink.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I guess you are for Remain, so what you say to the 17 million who voted Leave if you where the Prime Minister?

Can I have a go at this?

The first thing I'd say is this...

"Don't worry. We're never ever going to ask you a single issue question again on a matter of such importance."

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I think you really do not understand how a Union works
One of us clearly doesn't.
Merkel cannot do a trade deal with Britain separately to the Union
I didn't say she could! She can negotiate with us though - nothing will be formally signed, but we can have agreement on a way forward. If the UK and Germany have common ground, it's going to be tricky for the EU to go against it.

she would have to take Germany out of the Union to do that, but we really are not more important than the E.U. to Germany.
If Germany now left the EU, the EU would be over, so obvously the EU can't let that happen and would have to agree to what the UK and Germany say (roughly speaking).

I assumed fairer, as you think things will be better outside the Union. Please tell me what you think is fair then.
I think free trade, including services, and free movement of people is fair. I don't think we should settle for less.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
It will happen it just when and how.

Not necessarily in the manner that Leave said it would though. Johnson seems to be angling to get us in the EEA, a tactic also suggested by a leading left leaning journalist. Farage seems to be pissing off all and sundry without realising that the sooner the Article is triggered, the sooner his own party no longer has a raison d'etre. Junker wants rid of us now and Merkel is shitting herself and making conciliatory noises. The US is facing having TTIF torn up (the French will veto it) and very soon now we could see President Trump calling the shots, US trade wise (or, more deliciously, a face off between libertarian Boris and liberal democrat Clinton. THAT deal would probably take her whole presidency to sign off).

Our old realtionship with the EU is dead. Our new one is to be defined. Don't be surprised if it looks suspiciously like the old one.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Plenty. Vested interests for a start. Plus the fact that most of them (400+ out of 600) are in their cosy London-centric Westminster Bubble, and have completely lost touch with their grass roots; this is particularly true of Labour, where the PLP is still desperately going against its membership by trying to restore Labour as a Blairite neo Tory party.

i find it increasly amusing that people of a certain political colour cant see there is a range of hues between deep red and deep blue, while at the same time saying the party has lost touch with their grass roots. reality is elections are won and lost from tens of millions of voters with no definate political persuastion, of various bluey-reddy hues (and some yellows apparently)

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
Have you heard Farage speaking at the EU Parliament today?

He really is a deluded prick.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Wow, thank you for your message. I guess I know where I stand then. I'm sorry for being so stupid and lacking in critical analytical thinking.

I know nothing about you. Do you believe that the rest of the population possessed enough critical and analytical thinking? Enough to understand all the macro-economics at play? Do you?

It's the duty of government to listen and then enact policy that is in the interests of the population. It's not the duty or responsibility of government to just do what the public says, and it isn't wise. Many people do lack the credible skills to make the right decisions. I'm not sure I could do it and I'm fairly well educated.

c0lz

North East Stand.
Jan 26, 2010
Patcham/Brighton
Not necessarily in the manner that Leave said it would though. Johnson seems to be angling to get us in the EEA, a tactic also suggested by a leading left leaning journalist. Farage seems to be pissing off all and sundry without realising that the sooner the Article is triggered, the sooner his own party no longer has a raison d'etre. Junker wants rid of us now and Merkel is shitting herself and making conciliatory noises. The US is facing having TTIF torn up (the French will veto it) and very soon now we could see President Trump calling the shots, US trade wise (or, more deliciously, a face off between libertarian Boris and liberal democrat Clinton. THAT deal would probably take her whole presidency to sign off).

Our old realtionship with the EU is dead. Our new one is to be defined. Don't be surprised if it looks suspiciously like the old one.

Time will tell but it does seem the in camp is still very much scare mongering and should now come on board to get the best deal for all.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton

Agree. And it'll probably cost about the same.

We've sort of borrowed the gun, shot ourselves in the foot and then handed the revolver straight back to the EU whilst laughing and saying "ha, we told you we'd leave!"

They are looking at us like we're morons.

D

Deleted member 22389

We've sort of borrowed the gun, shot ourselves in the foot and then handed the revolver straight back to the EU whilst laughing and saying "ha, we told you we'd leave!"

They are looking at us like we're morons.

May be so, but may be if the EU stopped worrying about the suits and worried more about the people, reformed so governments could make the changes it needed so it worked for everyone, we wouldn't have voted for Leave.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Because the one they just had is not legally binding, just advisory. All Cameron ever promised in his general election menifesto was a referendum. Another blinder.

this narrative that Cameron has played everyone doesnt stack up. he engaged in a referedum to pacify one wing of the party while also trying to silence them. for years, decades, pundits and politicans have discussed the idea that UKIP core message represents a widepread group, only one that they arent willing to sacrifice other policies for. so now we have a dedicated poll on the issue and fine, lo, half the population (that expressed a preference) are indeed against the EU. it has spectacularly blown up in his face, ending his time as PM prematurely, spliting his party further and dividing the country more than it has been on any issue i can think of (maybe trident?). that is not playing a blinder.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I know nothing about you. Do you believe that the rest of the population possessed enough critical and analytical thinking? Enough to understand all the macro-economics at play? Do you?

It's the duty of government to listen and then enact policy that is in the interests of the population. It's not the duty or responsibility of government to just do what the public says, and it isn't wise. Many people do lack the credible skills to make the right decisions. I'm not sure I could do it and I'm fairly well educated.

Perhaps you are right. However the difficulty for your argument is that it is quite conceivable that we could have a Government and a Parliament that has a majority believing in leaving the European Union. Presumably in this scenario you would still hold your passionately held opinions but under your logic you would have to defer to the Government/Parliament view as you would assume they have skills that you and I do not possess.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
You wanted the old relationship to continue, and the new one should be similar. So what exactly is your problem?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here