Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
You would think that other social media platforms would be a better choice for our little infestation of EU trolls ..

troll.png

... poor use of resources, just one of the many reasons why the Remain campaign failed.

In other news (you won't read in the Guardian) ..

A month on since the end of the Brexit transition period, the Port of Dover is pleased to already be welcoming over 90% of the freight traffic volumes typical of this time of year following the significant stockpiling experienced before Christmas.

This demonstrates that the Short Straits continues to provide the most resilient and preferred route to and from Europe.

After years of preparation with partner organisations in the UK and in France to ensure trade continues to flow smoothly, border systems are operating efficiently and customers are quickly getting on their way.

Sarah West, Chief Operations Officer at the Port of Dover said:

“I’m really encouraged to see such a positive start to the New Year as we adapt to the new systems and processes involved in a new, post-Brexit transition era.

Our operation has proved its resilience and flexibility in the past by successfully adjusting to many major changes in our external landscape and I have great confidence that it will continue to do the same.

The message to hauliers is that as long as you come to Kent border ready and with a negative COVID test, then it won’t be long before you are on your way to France on the shortest ferry crossing.

My thanks go to our team here at the Port, our partners and customers for ensuring that together, we are prepared.”

http://www.doverport.co.uk/about/news/traffic-continues-to-flow-smoothly-through-the-por/13575/

Disappointing news for those hoping to see 50-mile Brexit lorry tail backs that they predicted obvs.

You certainly are unlucky at thinking and by the looks of it, at reading too. From a little earlier today

I heard a great story last week of how it had to be explained to a Minister, pleased at the lack of queues at Dover and thinking he should make a statement on it, that it was actually because 2/3rds of the trucks going back were empty on account of no one being able to export anything, so didn't need any customs clearance :facepalm:

I'll repeat once more for the hard of thinking, of course there's no queues, 2/3rds of the trucks going back are empty and don't need to go through customs clearance.

But because they are still going through empty, the Commercial Enterprise 'The Port of Dover' can put out a press release and still claim 'to be welcoming over 90% of the freight traffic volumes typical of this time of year' even though the majority are empty :facepalm:

Exports to EU plunged 68% in month after Brexit, hauliers say

Exports going through British ports to the EU fell by a whopping 68 per cent last month compared with January last year, according to new figures shared by the Road Haulage Association (RHA). The new data, based on a survey of the RHA’s members, was detailed in a letter sent by the association to the Cabinet Office minister, Michael Gove, on Monday, pleading for “urgent intervention” to support critical supply chains.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit/brexit-uk-eu-exports-michael-gove-b1798768.html

UK importers brace for 'disaster' as new Brexit customs checks loom

British firms are warning of an escalation in Brexit red tape as the government prepares to introduce a long list of new controls on imports from the European Union in April and July.In the coming months further checks are due to be phased in at the UK border, controlling everything from the import of sausages and live mussels to horses and trees, as well as the locations these checks can take place.

One logistics firm warned the situation had “disaster written all over it”, saying businesses need more time to prepare, while accountancy firm KPMG said some of the “biggest headaches” facing traders are yet to come.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/feb/07/british-importers-brace-for-disaster-as-new-brexit-checks-loom

Why didn't anyone warn this would happen. I think Bachman Turner Overdrive knew :wink:

The reason those lorries are being processed so efficiently at Dover is because they have 68% less things in them to process. And you obviously don't understand that there are no new import regulations in place yet and a significant amount of the export ones haven't been introduced. 7 weeks and 5 months time are when the next tranches of regulations come in :facepalm:

It's almost as if not only did you not understand what you voted for, but now that it's actually been published and is in place, you still can't get your head around what you've got :dunce:

Last edited:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
p6hqS5.gif

False alarm, it's only not so Able Seaman Wz ... firing blanks as usual :lolol:

See ? It's far less embarrassing for everyone when you avoid detail.

Although one liners and funny Gifs just work so much better from your POTG? account. And after the years and thousands of posts you've spent on lining up the punchline, just see it through.

Just trying to help :thumbsup:

:wave:

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Whisky Zulu will be along soon with more unfounded nonsense about dual accounts blah blah blah, he REVEL’s in such rhetoric [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Spooky ...

mystic-meg-2.jpg

You should REVEL in taking the Crown off Wz (I'm sure the serial editing on both those accounts is purely coincidental :wink:)

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
[TWEET]1358833964123910146[/TWEET]

[TWEET]1358834827097702403[/TWEET]