Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Jan 30, 2008
Randy, we could just buy Uk built cars, we import far too many from the EU. The EU stick together and so should the Brits.

The new car market is upside down.

It's time for a change in Britain and that is why it was democratically voted for.

I struggle to believe this thread is still here when we voted out nearly 5 years ago.
You're dealing with a few hard core undemocratic loons that's the sum of it
Regards
DF

D

Deleted member 2719

I suspect that you struggle with rather a lot of things, including the whole concept of international trade. We tend to import stuff that we either don't make or that others make cheaper and better. Then we export other stuff to them. If we want to export more than we import then we need to start getting better at making stuff. If we simply stop buying their stuff then we will

a) be paying more for our own stuff

b) provoke them into not buying our stuff

This is called a trade war and was the reason why there was the grand-daddy of all recessions before the war.

Patronising teachers and I thought they were geared to be supportive?

Of course, I know all this.

A) Price is not everything. So many people are buying new cars just for the sake of it, rather than fixing their older models, these people need to get their house in order and when they do they can spend on the newer cars. This is a pull the belt in the scenario for many. Let the rich pay more for their new cars. Isn't that what you guys are about anyway?
B) I didn't say stop buying from the EU, buy less there are other countries out there, but more importantly, we need to look after our own and make more now, isn't that also what you guys always wanted to do?

Are you proud to be British by chance???

This whole Brexit thing is here for a generation and beyond, so let's all get behind it, of course, you could just dig your heels in and support everyone else.

But where is the logic in that???

Anyway please reply, but I said I would stay away from this thread as its all old news and there is nothing that anyone on here can change apart from supporting our Country, with a wartime spirit.

The thread was dead and buried in 2016 as far as I was concerned.

RIP Brexit thread.:bigwave:

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Patronising teachers and I thought they were geared to be supportive?

Of course, I know all this.

A) Price is not everything. So many people are buying new cars just for the sake of it, rather than fixing their older models, these people need to get their house in order and when they do they can spend on the newer cars. This is a pull the belt in the scenario for many. Let the rich pay more for their new cars. Isn't that what you guys are about anyway?
B) I didn't say stop buying from the EU, buy less there are other countries out there, but more importantly, we need to look after our own and make more now, isn't that also what you guys always wanted to do?

Are you proud to be British by chance???

This whole Brexit thing is here for a generation and beyond, so let's all get behind it, of course, you could just dig your heels in and support everyone else.

But where is the logic in that???

Anyway please reply, but I said I would stay away from this thread as its all old news and there is nothing that anyone on here can change apart from supporting our Country, with a wartime spirit.

The thread was dead and buried in 2016 as far as I was concerned.

RIP Brexit thread.:bigwave:

I'm not sure we are on the same wavelength TBH. I think it's best to limit my reply to some simple statements

1. I plead guilty to being patronising on occasions .However, I have to point out that I'm not responding to you in my capacity as your teacher: I don't think either of us would like that much.

2. I plead innocent to the charge of not being proud of being British - but perhaps Brexit has made me rather less proud and tarnished our reputation.

3. I have on a number of occasions expressed the view that I hope my worse fears for Brexit don't come to pass.

4. I totally agree with you that it might be a good idea for you to wave the thread goodbye. We've all been tempted at times.

Cheerio, Mouldy.

Last edited:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I noticed the usual Brexity trash rags were getting excited over this. Spouting the usual anti German xenophobic drivel for their gullible readership. Cadbury isn't even a genuine British company as its owned by US multi national Mondelez. Cadbury paid no corporation tax in Britain in 2018 despite reporting a local profit £185m. Cadbury is moving back to UK as that is where the majority of their market is. Fair enough. Truth is, few in the rest of Europe buy Cadbury products. They are considered mass produced shite with too many additives. There are far superior locally sourced products in Germany, Belgium and elsewhere that conform to higher standards of production. Pesky red tape and all that. Until around 20 years ago Cadbury chocolate wasn't even allowed to be marketed as chocolate due to its excessive vegetable fat content. A compromise was reached over the reduction of vegetable fat content after a long running dispute.

As confirmed, the move won't create one single new job aside some extra hours for part timers and seasonal workers. It will have little effect on the local Mondelez production centre at Bludenz which also produces the Milka range amongst other products. A disappointment for Express and Mail 'readers' who thought they were giving Germany and Merkel one in the eye. Or it would have been had they even managed to get the country correct. The Mondelez Production plant is indeed located in Bludenz....in Austria! Never let a misplaced country get in the way of a spot of jingoistic dog whistle.

One of the dubious pleasures of shopping at Lidl, is the German chocolate. I hope they don’t start sourcing it fro UK manufacturers as ther are so many import export issues.

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
I'm not sure we are on the same wavelength TBH. I think it's best to limit my reply to some simple statements

1. I plead guilty to being patronising on occasions .However, I have to point out that I'm not responding to you in my capacity as your teacher: I don't think either of us would like that much.

2. I plead innocent to the charge of not being proud of being British - but perhaps Brexit has made me rather less proud and tarnished our reputation.

3. I have on a number of occasions expressed the view that I hope my worse fears for Brexit don't come to pass.

4. I totally agree with you that it might be a good idea for you to wave the thread goodbye. We've all been tempted at times.

Cheerio, Mouldy.

To be honest I don't think anyone's on that wavelength, but he unfortunately typifies a Brexiteer, someone who feels politically engaged but in reality, doesn't undertstand things and intellectually vacuous, which is the real brexit divide.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
One of the dubious pleasures of shopping at Lidl, is the German chocolate. I hope they don’t start sourcing it fro UK manufacturers as ther are so many import export issues.

Maybe stock up during May. It's only exporting stuff out of the country which is being regulated at the moment. Johnson has said that his Government aren't in a position to introduce any of the new UK import procedures from Brexit until June at the earliest so until then it's 'light touch' customs. There should be no shortage of EU goods in British supermarkets before June, as I'm sure he's a man of his word :lolol:

#takingbackcontrol

I heard a great story last week of how it had to be explained to a Minister, pleased at the lack of queues at Dover and thinking he should make a statement on it, that it was actually because 2/3rds of the trucks going back were empty on account of no one being able to export anything, so didn't need any customs clearance :facepalm:

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton

a4ffad2dadf33310c99e28a872103c99.jpg

In case you’re in any doubt Dave the above is meant as a bit of fun[emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Well what a shock :eek:

Exports to EU plunged 68% in month after Brexit, hauliers say

Exports going through British ports to the EU fell by a whopping 68 per cent last month compared with January last year, according to new figures shared by the Road Haulage Association (RHA).

The new data, based on a survey of the RHA’s members, was detailed in a letter sent by the association to the Cabinet Office minister, Michael Gove, on Monday, pleading for “urgent intervention” to support critical supply chains.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit/brexit-uk-eu-exports-michael-gove-b1798768.html

And this is only after the introduction of the first phase of regulations. Brace yourselves for the next two phases in 7 weeks and 5 months time.

UK importers brace for 'disaster' as new Brexit customs checks loom

British firms are warning of an escalation in Brexit red tape as the government prepares to introduce a long list of new controls on imports from the European Union in April and July.In the coming months further checks are due to be phased in at the UK border, controlling everything from the import of sausages and live mussels to horses and trees, as well as the locations these checks can take place.

One logistics firm warned the situation had “disaster written all over it”, saying businesses need more time to prepare, while accountancy firm KPMG said some of the “biggest headaches” facing traders are yet to come. Importers fear UK customs are not ready for the new controls, and that logjams at points of entry could cause fruit and vegetable shortages in the spring.

Border checks will need to be introduced at some stage, to prevent leaving Britain open to fraud or smuggling, and to comply with wider World Trade Organization (WTO) standards

#takingbackcontrol

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/feb/07/british-importers-brace-for-disaster-as-new-brexit-checks-loom

Why didn't anyone warn this would happen. I think Bachman Turner Overdrive knew :wink:

Last edited:

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Talking to a mate over a weekend who works for one of the UK's biggest freight forwarders dealing with imports, apparently its carnage with many International shipments now getting major as the usual routing is via continental shipping hubs. Seems its not just EU to UK

From my own experience, ordered something from Europe last month. Shipped on 20/1 by a one of big carriers till not here.

UK Exports to Europe down 68%. The government just don't care about UK SME's, ultimately ordinary people are going to lose their shirts.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Gove is giving evidence in Parliament today in a committee, which could be interesting given the shitshow so far and companies being told to set up in Europe instead of this country.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Talking to a mate over a weekend who works for one of the UK's biggest freight forwarders dealing with imports, apparently its carnage with many International shipments now getting major as the usual routing is via continental shipping hubs. Seems its not just EU to UK

From my own experience, ordered something from Europe last month. Shipped on 20/1 by a one of big carriers till not here.

UK Exports to Europe down 68%. The government just don't care about UK SME's, ultimately ordinary people are going to lose their shirts.
Luckily the Goverment will have an action plan to resolve this looming crisis. Won't they ?

Lol.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Luckily the Goverment will have an action plan to resolve this looming crisis. Won't they ?

Lol.

And this is without checks on imports. Little wonder they are letting all freight traffic enter UK without Covid tests

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Gove is giving evidence in Parliament today in a committee, which could be interesting given the shitshow so far and companies being told to set up in Europe instead of this country.

That explains the cartoon in The Times today.

Times.jpg

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

Isn't Brexit itself essentially a "First World Problems" meme got out of hand?

"We have to leave the EU man, they changed the colour of our passports."

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

Lol.

That Government response in full

article-0-1A2B262D00000578-818_636x382.jpg

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
my god there are some top notch cockheads on this board ......first class , dyed in the wool cockheads ....i honestly don't know why they bother posting on a football forum , surely they realise they belong elsewhere ..........is it all part of the master plan to purge British society of any lasting pride that may remain of keeping our food in the fridge , wiping our arses with toilet paper and not forcibly marrying 9 year olds..?? je ne sais pas....:rolleyes:

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

The problem is not having a job is also a first world problem. Brexit is like pouring petrol on a house that is already on fire

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
And this is without checks on imports. Little wonder they are letting all freight traffic enter UK without Covid tests

Next time write "sovereignty" on the box and it should come next day

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here