Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I'm with Nige on this one. When the less affluent countries see the UK being successful then they will follow. Its a house of cards scenario.

Sent from my SM-A505FN using Tapatalk

I'm always against 'Nige'. You do recognise that you're referring to eastern European countries who -- how shall we put this -- have had a somewhat difficult historical relationship with a larger entity towards the east? You do realise that that larger entity towards the east has been piling money in to those countries, stoking the nationalist/ethnocentric agenda? You do realise that that larger entity towards the east has been engaging in military adventurism? You do realise that 'Nige' and his cronies have been amply rewarded by that larger entity towards the east?

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Interesting the short lived "End of EU thread" from Mouldy and co.....

Think they need to concentrate on trying to hold own Union together before worrying about other entities. Brexiters own this mess, they need to sort it out

#englishexceptionalism

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton

Think they need to concentrate on trying to hold own Union together before worrying about other entities. Brexiters own this mess, they need to sort it out

#englishexceptionalism

What happened to that thread then?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Jan 30, 2008

#englishexceptionalism

Where exactly is this mess you speak of ?
Regards
DF

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
The biggest mistake at the very beginning was NOT setting up a tripartite trading agreement between UK, Germany and France. A Northern European trading alliance. ( NEA ) The three most powerful European counterparts. To allow it to burgeon into this over large, over complicated, unwieldy bloc of 27 nations was federalism gone mad.
The three then could have jointly negotiated trading deals with other, smaller European neighbours and the rest of the world. Far simpler, much freer from all the different vested interest amongst 27 nations that clogs up so many current EU trade negotiations. Far, far less beaurocracy. Massively less cost. One central European bank, controlled by the big three. The UK would have had far more control in its manufacturing future/destiny and working together, these three could have combatted some of the industrial and technological kidnapping carried out by the Far East.
It was a massive opportunity misse

When was this opportunity? I don't believe it ever existed, France didn't even want us in the EEC.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
The Erasmus thing is interesting in that it's been quitely forgotten by the press in favour of fishing and other minor issues. It's quite shocking that we have left but given this current government seem to have totally forgotten about students (and universities, who are doing a very good job of getting on with things with a lot of additional workload pressures) so not entirely unexpected in the lead up to Brexit. Hopefully this new Turing idea will come to fruition because it's a real backwards step otherwise

If the students enjoy their placements and want to stay on or return to live however....

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
The Erasmus thing is interesting in that it's been quitely forgotten by the press in favour of fishing and other minor issues. It's quite shocking that we have left but given this current government seem to have totally forgotten about students (and universities, who are doing a very good job of getting on with things with a lot of additional workload pressures) so not entirely unexpected in the lead up to Brexit. Hopefully this new Turing idea will come to fruition because it's a real backwards step otherwise

If the students enjoy their placements and want to stay on or return to live however....
Ireland are paying for NI students to access Erasmus, and Scotland are seeing if they can access the scheme under devolved powers.

Soft power, eh ?

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Wow ..... what a lot of love from a bunch of remainers !!!! I considered not replying to make sure I didn't contribute to your remainer echo chamber but hell ... it's lockdown ... and I don;t have much work today so I might as well reply to all your bitter, ill-informed and condescending posts.

So in order :

Nice use of the word pricks .... thank you. Adult debate eh ? No need to feel sorry for me - I knew what I was voting for - LEAVING the EU - that we have done. How we've done it is open to debate ( well to adults anyway ! ). When you say equivalence you obviously mean when it suits us. For example, live animal exports are now going to be banned .... which the EU flatly refused to do .... thanks to the French, Dutch, Italians and Spanish mainly. Some things may require equivalence .... so what ?

Thank you for the back handed compliment. I'm fully aware that my retirement plans need tweaking around the new rules but thank you for pointing it out.

I know the rules thank you - they don't prevent me from continuing my plans. Let's have a little bet .... in Euros if you like .... I will be living ( full time ) in France by 01/01/31 ? I already have world wide heath insurance - thank you for your concern though. As for my daughter, she doesn't start her course until this September so the placement isn't part of Erasmus - Sussex have ensured her that the placement is fine and will go ahead.

Hey everyone, any of you folk want to emigrate (or retire) to an EU country like France for example...just take out a 12 month Worldwide Travel insurance policy. You can get everything fixed that goes wrong for about £120 p.a, just go onto Moneysupermarket...

Really don't know what all the fuss in about.

Thanks for the useful tip, oh and strike me off at the local doctors. NHS no longer required...

Last edited:

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
What happened to that thread then?

It was moved to this thread by a mod? The interesting thing about it was how none of the #teameu regulars were brave enough to offer a prediction about the future of their beloved EU .... I wonder why.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
I'm with Nige on this one. When the less affluent countries see the UK being successful then they will follow. Its a house of cards scenario.

Sent from my SM-A505FN using Tapatalk

Farage has been saying that for a long time, he predicted that euro scepticism will grow in other countries when they looked over at the UK when in fact the opposite happened. They see the disaster, the deep divisions it has caused and huge cost to the economy and now support for the EU has never been stronger.

The problem with Nige is he talks a good game but it is, as with most right wing agitators, based largely on opinion and if you judge him on facts he has got most things wrong

In this clip from Feb 2020, he predicts (again) the german car industry will eventually cave in.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Farage has been saying that for a long time, he predicted that euro scepticism will grow in other countries when they looked over at the UK when in fact the opposite happened. They see the disaster, the deep divisions it has caused and huge cost to the economy and now support for the EU has never been stronger.

The problem with Nige is he talks a good game but it is, as with most right wing agitators, based largely on opinion and if you judge him on facts he has got most things wrong

In this clip from Feb 2020, he predicts (again) the german car industry will eventually cave in.

Free fish vouchers are being offered with every new Merc...

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Hey everyone, any of you folk want to emigrate (or retire) to an EU country like France for example...just take out a 12 month Worldwide Travel insurance policy. You can get everything fixed that goes wrong for about £120 p.a, just go onto Moneysupermarket...

Thanks for the useful tip, oh and strike me off at the local doctors. NHS no longer required...

What are the waiting lists like in Burnley?

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020

what still doesn't get answered is why the inconvience is preferable to not having the incovenience?

I mean, if in this example the person in question knew what they voted for, as he stated, he knew he would travel to the continent often and / or even live there, and he knew it would make his life more difficult. Good that he put clarity on his position, just one question......why?

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
What are the waiting lists like in Burnley?

Our man in Burnley heard to great news about the global health insurance, he's got the Estate agent round doing a valuation as we speak. He's planning a trip to Bergerac once the EU travel ban on Brits is lifted

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Well folks, looks like we're facing a damaging trade boycott from EU and US businesses after a new post-Brexit law changing the VAT system was rushed virtually unopposed through Parliament 8 days before Christmas

Did Tory MP's understand what they were voting for?

https://bylinetimes.com/2021/01/04/uk-faces-trade-boycott-after-brexit-vat-change/

turns out these changes are coming across EU in July, to close large tax loop hole and level playing field for local vendors. obviously easier in EU using the one stop shop system. it cant be true the regulations were only published the week before Christmas, they've been around (and delayed) some time.
https://www.avalara.com/vatlive/en/vat-news/eu-2021-e-commerce-vat-package.html

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

You’re not serious are you?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here