Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Most of the people in this country have no interest in a celebration on Jan 31st. They are too busy getting on with their lives, either carrying out jobs to the best of their ability or running businesses and trying to wealth create. They have moved on. They know there was only a small mandate to Leave and the election result re-affirmed that mandate and confirmed the future path. They know it won't be plain sailing ahead but they also know the waters won't be that choppy. They know there won't be food or pharmaceutical shortages or 20 miles of truck queues out of Dover.
Most are sensitive to the views and feelings of a narrow minority of this country and do not feel a ra ra gathering of familiar media faces and those just wanting to gloat is appropriate ( despite the most appalling provocation in some quarters ) We are leaving and we have to make a success of it, for our children and grand-children and beyond. For those who wish to perpuate negativity, well that is their choice but they will, at some stage be faced with a decision. Do they carry on continually looking for negative moments ( as there always are ) and adopt a ' told you so ' attitude or do they try at least to spend the rest of their lives with a sort of passive acceptance of the situation.

Its for those in power that made all the promises its time to deliver. They did everything they could to hide from scrutiny during election and they are still doing it now.

They need to be held to account on every word....

Last edited:

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Do they carry on continually looking for negative moments ( as there always are ) and adopt a ' told you so ' attitude or do they try at least to spend the rest of their lives with a sort of passive acceptance of the situation.

I shall be adopting an "I told you so" attitude, and I'm not even sorry. It didn't have to be so, but the sheer pig-headed refusal of many Brexiters to acknowledge even basic facts or countenance any form of compromise have left me unable to do anything else. They can't claim there will be no downsides, then when the downsides come claim they knew but didn't care. Hypocrisy is one thing I absolutely cannot stand.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Most of the people in this country have no interest in a celebration on Jan 31st. They are too busy getting on with their lives, either carrying out jobs to the best of their ability or running businesses and trying to wealth create. They have moved on. They know there was only a small mandate to Leave and the election result re-affirmed that mandate and confirmed the future path. They know it won't be plain sailing ahead but they also know the waters won't be that choppy. They know there won't be food or pharmaceutical shortages or 20 miles of truck queues out of Dover.
Most are sensitive to the views and feelings of a narrow minority of this country and do not feel a ra ra gathering of familiar media faces and those just wanting to gloat is appropriate ( despite the most appalling provocation in some quarters ) We are leaving and we have to make a success of it, for our children and grand-children and beyond. For those who wish to perpuate negativity, well that is their choice but they will, at some stage be faced with a decision. Do they carry on continually looking for negative moments ( as there always are ) and adopt a ' told you so ' attitude or do they try at least to spend the rest of their lives with a sort of passive acceptance of the situation.

Worthy-sounding words but it is not an either-or.

The country was led into making an appalling decision and to that extent, by definition, my view of its future is negative. Given that my opinion is only partly led by economic considerations, it is unlikely that I will 'move on' from that. But our approach to dealing with this is far from negative. Not even passive. My family will try to what we do harder, faster and more effectively. Circumstances demand it. And at the same time we will continue with our plans to protect the generations behind us from the worst effects of this crazy decision.

I imagine that most remainers have similar attitudes.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I shall be adopting an "I told you so" attitude, and I'm not even sorry. It didn't have to be so, but the sheer pig-headed refusal of many Brexiters to acknowledge even basic facts or countenance any form of compromise have left me unable to do anything else. They can't claim there will be no downsides, then when the downsides come claim they knew but didn't care. Hypocrisy is one thing I absolutely cannot stand.

As we all predicted, it’s the leavers lining up the excuses. When it all goes to pot, it’s our fault because we “didn’t think positively”.

It’s transparent.
It’s predictable.
It’s dishonest.
It’s pitiful.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Worthy-sounding words but it is not an either-or.

The country was led into making an appalling decision and to that extent, by definition, my view of its future is negative. Given that my opinion is only partly led by economic considerations, it is unlikely that I will 'move on' from that. But our approach to dealing with this is far from negative. Not even passive. My family will try to what we do harder, faster and more effectively. Circumstances demand it. And at the same time we will continue with our plans to protect the generations behind us from the worst effects of this crazy decision.

I imagine that most remainers have similar attitudes.

Great post. For me, it’s not all about economics. Far form it. The societal repercussions are very worrying. The rise in hate crime, the intolerance, the division and turning our backs on our European partners. It’s genuinely tragic.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
As we all predicted, it’s the leavers lining up the excuses. When it all goes to pot, it’s our fault because we “didn’t think positively”.

It’s transparent.
It’s predictable.
It’s dishonest.
It’s pitiful.

tenor.gif

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST

I do expect this kind of retort, so it’s hardly surprising. Doesn’t make it any less ignorant. Stressed? No, not really. I’m fairly well insulated against the worst that Brexit will likely deliver.

I’m very disappointed in the way 52% of those that went to the polling stations voted. I think it’s sad that we are leaving the EU and yes, it does upset me to see the way some Brits are behaving under the banner of patriotism. It’s very unbecoming.
But stressed, no, far too long in the tooth to be stressed about what people do. I learnt long ago, most people are idiots most of the time.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

Top post.

Like it or not (some of us do like it, but realise some others do not) we move on. The continuing bile and negativity of a few reminds me all the time of Bob Geldoff's foul-mouthed rant through a megaphone on the banks of the Thames the day after the referendum; childish and petulant.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Great post. For me, it’s not all about economics. Far form it. The societal repercussions are very worrying. The rise in hate crime, the intolerance, the division and turning our backs on our European partners. It’s genuinely tragic.

We've let people like Farage into the mainstream, we gave him a season ticket on shows like Question Time, the gene is out of the bottle.

Some people now think that gives them licence to behave in a particular manner, I see it in my own extended family and I didn't think I'd ever say that.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
We've let me people like Farage into the mainstream, we gave him a season ticket on shows like Question Time, the gene is out of the bottle.

Some people now think that gives them licence to behave in a particular manner, I see it in my own extended family and I didn't think I'd ever say that.

Agree. The mask is well and truly off. True colours shining through.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
They knew exactly what they were voting for.

Tory Brexiteer and culture minister Nigel Adams has backed calls for freedom of movement, at least for musicians, despite the fact his government is planning to take it away.
Adams was talking specifically to Music Week about the importance of freedom of movement for artists.

He explained: "Touring is absolutely the lifeblood of the industry and we recognise the importance of the continued ease of movement of musicians, equipment and merchandise once we've left the EU.

"Visa rules for artists performing in the EU will not change until the implementation period ends in December 2020. But these are being considered, with other activity, and we welcome the views of [MPs] and the industry in respect of movement within Europe.

"It's absolutely essential that free movement for artists is protected post-2020."

https://www.theneweuropean.co.uk/to...-brexit-and-musicians-in-music-week-1-6478086

Musicians, by their work, need FOM, to be able to tour or their earnings won't cover the costs.

Next thing, he'll lose his ministerial job for not believing enough.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

Tory Brexiteer and culture minister Nigel Adams has backed calls for freedom of movement, at least for musicians, despite the fact his government is planning to take it away.
Adams was talking specifically to Music Week about the importance of freedom of movement for artists.

He explained: "Touring is absolutely the lifeblood of the industry and we recognise the importance of the continued ease of movement of musicians, equipment and merchandise once we've left the EU.

"Visa rules for artists performing in the EU will not change until the implementation period ends in December 2020. But these are being considered, with other activity, and we welcome the views of [MPs] and the industry in respect of movement within Europe.

"It's absolutely essential that free movement for artists is protected post-2020."

https://www.theneweuropean.co.uk/to...-brexit-and-musicians-in-music-week-1-6478086

Musicians, by their work, need FOM, to be able to tour or their earnings won't cover the costs.

Right, thats double piano practice for my son when he gets home from school, I knew there was a way for him for secure FOM. Thanks for the heads up...

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
The continuing bile and negativity of a few reminds me all the time of Bob Geldoff's foul-mouthed rant through a megaphone on the banks of the Thames the day after the referendum; childish and petulant.

People are entitled to believe and act however they want (provided it is lawful).

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
I'm not quite sure why you're so happy with the jeery genius's four links. Do you read them before applauding? They showed...

1. Guarded optimism from the IMG (described by Leavers as a lackey of the British Government, and part-funded by it) that UK growth might slightly exceed that of the eurozone in the period when Brexit uncertainty will hopefully lift a little, although this is qualified by the assumption that there is a gradual transition to a satisfactory deal with the EU and Johnson has warned that he's prepared to walk away at the end of the year come hell or high water.

2. Good if irrelevant news about one specific sector that has always been less-dependant on our relationship with the EU than most.

3. Confidence rising after the Dec election - it is now higher than it has been at other times in the gloomy low-confidence post-referendum era. Good news but what are we comparing it with?

4. Ditto, although the proof of the pudding will be whether spending rises. No one knows that yet (although it would be amazing if it didn't go up a bit compared to the High Street's disastrous Christmas.)

Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't know of ANYONE who has ever claimed that every single sector, every dial, every trend would go into a dive following the Brexit vote.

Not a chance in hell that bashldir read any of that.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

Maybe herein lies the solution. We spend the next 12 months negotiating a Brexit which means we keep all the rules and benefits for individual groups until such time as the only people who actually lose any of their rights or benefits of the EU ends up being the Brexiters on this thread. That might just work.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Maybe herein lies the solution. We spend the next 12 months negotiating a Brexit which means we keep all the rules and benefits for individual groups until such time as the only people who actually lose any of their rights or benefits of the EU ends up being the Brexiters on this thread. That might just work.

There are eleven months left to negotiate deals. Get Brexit done is only the Withdrawal Agreement.

The devil is in the detail. (cue the leavers posting their emojis and memes to mock and goad)

https://www.politics.co.uk/blogs/20...rything-you-need-to-know-about-johnson-s-trad

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here