Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Are you genuinely surprised? When you consider something like 10% of the population are privately educated, what do you think pays for that? £77k is not a king's ransom for an awful lot of people. Regardless, the point is that MPs in this country ARE underpaid.

There's lots of other benefits available to an MP, plenty of directorships with minimal work to actually do, then there is the shady lobbying and if they do jump ship they end up on the board of a company that used to deal with the MP's department be it Defence, Health, Transport etc etc.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
You don't appear to know how the job market works. Or anything else come to think of it. Probably best you toddle off back to Dad's garden shed with your tin foil hat on.
I'd like to see one of those tosspots do a real days work, can guarantee you probably never had.

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
They're ALL overpaid! How old are you 5?

You don't appear to know how the job market works. Or anything else come to think of it. Probably best you toddle off back to Dad's garden shed with your tin foil hat on.

Can you two get a room.

The pair of you are making Two profs look like ...................................

.................well, slightly less of a moron

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Are you genuinely surprised? When you consider something like 10% of the population are privately educated, what do you think pays for that? £77k is not a king's ransom for an awful lot of people. Regardless, the point is that MPs in this country ARE underpaid.

Let's compare their salary to a Junior Doctor, who will have worked their arses off getting top A-Levels, then through medical school, so they'll be 23 years or so for their 1st year;

1st year qualified £27k
2nd year qualified £31k
1st stage registrar £37k
3rd stage registrar £47k
Speciality registrar £49k

The work for the state and will likely do 60 hour weeks on a good week, various shift patterns, weekend work, have to cancel personal engagements at the drop of the hat.

I suspect an MPs salary for a junior doctor looks like a kings ransom.

Mark Francois is earning £77k per year plus expenses, while the person who may save one of your loved one's lives, is earning half that. Underpaid - hardly.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Can you two get a room.

The pair of you are making Two profs look like ...................................

Just pointing out what 95% of people think [emoji106][emoji57]

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
There's lots of other benefits available to an MP, plenty of directorships with minimal work to actually do, then there is the shady lobbying and if they do jump ship they end up on the board of a company that used to deal with the MP's department be it Defence, Health, Transport etc etc.

I simply saw that someone said they were paid a fortune as a salary and took issue with it, because it isn't true. I agree with what you say with the caveat that this doesn't cover all MPs by any means.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
MPs are definitely underpaid, but Thatcher f##### that up.

Didn't want the bad PR regarding pay rises so the ridiculous expenses system creeped in as a proxy pay increase and they took the piss.

Should they be paid more ?

Yes in an ideal world, but let's wait a few years for the Duck House generation o retire.

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Can you two get a room.

I think you know this is impossible.

It's not like haven't tried - you've probably had more squabbles than anyone on this thread and has it made 2P's look like he has a brain bigger than a peanut? Of course not.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Let's compare their salary to a Junior Doctor, who will have worked their arses off getting top A-Levels, then through medical school, so they'll be 23 years or so for their 1st year;

1st year qualified £27k
2nd year qualified £31k
1st stage registrar £37k
3rd stage registrar £47k
Speciality registrar £49k

The work for the state and will likely do 60 hour weeks on a good week, various shift patterns, weekend work, have to cancel personal engagements at the drop of the hat.

I suspect an MPs salary for a junior doctor looks like a kings ransom.

Mark Francois is earning £77k per year plus expenses, while the person who may save one of your loved one's lives, is earning half that. Underpaid - hardly.

Hardly comparable is it.
These junior medics will hopefully become highly paid consultants or G.P's and enjoy total job security and a career that most of them enjoy , despite a degree of whinging amongst some of their number.
An M.P. may well work just as many hours as many medics and often more. They have zilch job security and enjoy little or no escape from the public's glare and on occasions downright hostility.
I don't think anyone can say that life for a diligent MP is a bed of roses and despite what some of the public believe, I am certain that the vast majority of them enter politics for the right reasons.
I could bang on, but I won't.
I speak as the son of a retired GP and nephew of a now deceased , very eminent Cardio -Thoracic surgeon.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex

Like Johnny Mercer MP - earns £85k a year on top of his £77k MP salary for 20 hours a week for some consultancy firm in Brighton. He pays his wife £30k a year to be his assistant too out of parliamentary expenses.

I'm sure his constituents in Plymouth on Universal Credit think he's underpaid though. :rolleyes:

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Hardly comparable is it.
These junior medics will hopefully become highly paid consultants or G.P's and enjoy total job security and a career that most of them enjoy , despite a degree of whinging amongst some of their number.
An M.P. may well work just as many hours as many medics and often more. They have zilch job security and enjoy little or no escape from the public's glare and on occasions downright hostility.
I don't think anyone can say that life for a diligent MP is a bed of roses and despite what some of the public believe, I am certain that the vast majority of them enter politics for the right reasons.
I speak as the son of a retired GP and nephew of a now deceased , very eminent Cardio -Thoracic surgeon.
You don't have a clue what NHS staff go through, I have several friends that are signed off with stress atm and you call them whinging ? Charming

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Hardly comparable is it.

An MP might work as many hours as a Junior Doctor. I'm sorry but you maybe the son of a retired GP, but that is at best an ill informed statement, if not outright laughable.

Not all junior doctors will become consultants, and even then their salaries are generally in the £74 - £100k. The average GP salary is £74k per year. They come out training with average debt around £70k these days. We're losing junior doctors by the handful due to the working pressure and hours and the relatively low pay.

The BMA has been warning for sometime we have a dire shortage of doctors in most specialities. And you call it 'whinging' amoung their number. Obviously a bit of humility didn't rub off from your elders then?

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
You don't have a clue what NHS staff go through, I have several friends that are signed off with stress atm and you call them whinging ? Charming

Wrong Direction; firstly you have absolutely no idea what I know about the NHS and its staff and secondly, I said a degree of whinging amongst some of their number, a statement that is true.
I'll bet you I know a hell of a sight more medics than you can dream about!

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
An MP might work as many hours as a Junior Doctor. I'm sorry but you maybe the son of a retired GP, but that is at best an ill informed statement, if not outright laughable.

Not all junior doctors will become consultants, and even then their salaries are generally in the £74 - £100k. The average GP salary is £74k per year. They come out training with average debt around £70k these days. We're losing junior doctors by the handful due to the working pressure and hours and the relatively low pay.

The BMA has been warning for sometime we have a dire shortage of doctors in most specialities. And you call it 'whinging' amoung their number. Obviously a bit of humility didn't rub off from your elders then?

Bold Seagull, not an ill informed statement at all. We shall have to agree to disagree on that one.
As for humility, you've lost me on that. I do know, however, that my father worked a hell of a sight longer hours as a GP than they do nowadays!

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Like Johnny Mercer MP - earns £85k a year on top of his £77k MP salary for 20 hours a week for some consultancy firm in Brighton. He pays his wife £30k a year to be his assistant too out of parliamentary expenses.

I'm sure his constituents in Plymouth on Universal Credit think he's underpaid though. :rolleyes:

It never ceases to amaze me that they can get so much cash for such little obvious work, it often genuinely looks like a fix.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Mark Francois is indeed a very wealthy individual. Not wealthy enough, though, it seems...

[TWEET]1113693954451570689[/TWEET]

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Bold Seagull, not an ill informed statement at all. We shall have to agree to disagree on that one.
As for humility, you've lost me on that.

If you're looking for an at times hilarious book to read, I'd suggest you pick up 'This is Going to Hurt' by Adam Kay.

I don't think I'd call any junior doctors whinging, even a minority of them, because I am humbled by what they've committed to to get where they are.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here