Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Yeh, that was what the British were asked to vote for in 1975, wasn't it? Or were politicians pulling the wool over our eyes even back then?

I think it was presented as mainly a free trade based organisation with little if any mention of Ever closer Union. So yes lots of wool.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
Oh yes, the Government is lying, the economics professors are lying, the CEO's of multinationals like Airbus and HSBC etc etc. Everybody's lying! ......apart from the likes of Boris Johnson. Nigel Farage, Chris Grayling and Michael Gove. Seriously?? Well if it is an out vote in June. The U.K. Will have well and truly cut off its nose. But if you are voting out, carry on....

Still waiting to hear from those leave campaign clowns about how Britian will increase its GDP, and make us all better, safer and better off in our bank balances, when we are outside the EU. Btw I said the official leave campaign, not the ramblings of the usual suspects on here.

Last edited:

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Yes but I still want to use proper light bulbs and have a mega vacuum cleaner.

On a serious note. Do you believe everything the government says? We have the worlds 5th biggest economy and London is the financial centre of the world. Obviously the world would turn its back on us on June 24th.

It wouldn't. The 'inners', increasingly more desperate as the Brexit campaign gains ground, will try and persuade us that this will happen.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
The U.K. Will have well and truly cut off its nose. But if you are voting out, carry on....

You are welcome to your opinion, i think if we stay in we have "well and truly cut off its nose". We have the chance to make our own decisions and leave the expensive and corrupt club. It is a big wide world out there, a world where we can trade on our own terms, and make our own decisions.

cunning fergus

NSC Patron
Jan 18, 2009
I do get it. I just don't accept that it's more democratic here for a party with only 36% of the vote to dictate to the remaining 64%.

A British politician said the following in January 2015........

"Public opposition to the EU’s TTIP treaty is a cri de coeur for democracy and for the right of people to elect a Government who can decide what goes on in their country.”

Given TTIP is being negotiated beyond the eyes of any directly accountable British politician this sentiment is right is it not?

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
You are welcome to your opinion, i think if we stay in we have "well and truly cut off its nose". We have the chance to make our own decisions and leave the expensive and corrupt club. It is a big wide world out there, a world where we can trade on our own terms, and make our own decisions.

Leave it, mate - his main point is that anybody with a different view to his is a clown. Takes one to know one, perhaps, but not worth arguing with.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Leave it, mate - his main point is that anybody with a different view to his is a clown. Takes one to know one, perhaps, but not worth arguing with.

You are probably right. I have posted less on these threads of late. I have come to the conclusion that opinions will not be changed. I am not scared or worried if we come out, i suspect others are not confident and need the comfort blanket of the EU club.

sten

sister ray
Jul 14, 2003
eastside

Correct ,you have to be bordering on evil minded to want to stay in that money laundering club it does not offer anything to this country ,that's where true organised crime is ,I can't see why people on this board can't see this , as a uk tax payer I want my elected government to spend that 55 million pound a day membership fee on things that really matter here.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Members of the European Parliament have awarded themselves an in-house, chauffeur-driven service at a cost to taxpayers of €10 million a year, even though they already have a limo service within both Parliamentary buildings, in Brussels and Strasbourg. The new in-house service, which they say is needed to protect them from possible terrorism, will replace the contracted service currently running from the basement car parks in both Parliamentary buildings. MEPs are able to use the chauffeur driven cars, which are permanently on stand-by, for any trip around Brussels or Strasbourg. The resolution introducing the new service will add another €3.7 million to the €7 million already in the Parliamentary’s administrative budget for MEP transportation, Politico has reported. The extra money will be spent on outfitting vetted staff with uniforms at a cost of €1,000 each, as well as a fleet of new green cars.

MEPs are fearful for their personal safety after it emerged that one of the bombers responsible for the terrorist attack on Brussels in March worked briefly at the Parliament as a contracted cleaner, with access to every office in the building. A spokesman for the Parliament told Germany’s Bild that the cleaning company had done due diligence on the suicide bomber, and that he had a clean criminal record.

Despite this, the resolution, in noting that some members disagree with the creation of an in-house chauffer service, has left the door open to the consideration of an alternative “well-organized” external contract “where the external service provider is clearly obliged to take responsibility for security and background checks as well as for decent working conditions and pay.” Nonetheless, the Parliament has already released a job advertisement to fill 300 candidacy roles in a Parliamentary database, from which the required 110 chauffeurs may be drawn. Successful job applicants will receive a gross salary of €1907.24 per annum, plus pension and health insurance.

www.breitbart.com/london/2016/04/15...imo-service-as-protection-against-terrorists/

The golden rule: create the problem first.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Very democratic eh.

A senior Member of the European Parliament (MEP) for the German Green Party has called for an end to referendums on issues “not suitable” for direct democracy because they threaten the very existence of the European Union (EU).

Rebecca Harms MEP, a qualified tree surgeon and Co-President of The Greens–European Free Alliance group in the European Parliament, has said that some questions relating to the EU are not suitable for referendums. Showing how much she values direct democracy, Ms. Harms used the shock of the recent rejection of the EU-Ukrainian agreement by the Netherlands to make the case for limiting the use of referendums in future warning that they could “endanger the existence of the EU”, reports Austria’s largest newspaper Kronen Zeitung. According to German newspaper Kölner Stadt-Anzeiger, the list of subjects which others have deemed “not suitable” for referendums include the controversial but yet-to-be-finalised Transatlantic Trade and Investment Partnership (TTIP) agreement with the U.S., the principle of open borders within the EU, and the future of the euro currency.
http://www.breitbart.com/london/201...rendums-europe-direct-democracy-threatens-eu/

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Still waiting to hear from those leave campaign clowns about how Britian will increase its GDP, and make us all better, safer and better off in our bank balances, when we are outside the EU. .

and when was there a claim of these things? there are a few reasons to leave the EU, none of which are to improve GDP, make us safer or improve our bank balances. you only highlight how well the In campaign have switched the debate onto economy, when the main debates have always been sovereignty and immigration. interesting how the government doesnt lie however brings the weight and resources available to champion the In campaign, breaking the rules along the way, so there is little chance for proper balance debate.

its not been a good debate, a split camp has been out manouvered by the government choosing another field to fight on, so we'll be marched towards an in vote, only to find over the summer that what we are In isnt what people voted for. more integration, more money, more powers to Brussels, more of the same from the past decades of the EU project, its not going to change direction. by 2030, im not worried about losing £4k, im worried losing power and being part of a Federal States of Europe.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
I don't avoid the point. You are saying that the fact that a minority of MEPs can be ignored is inherently undemocratic. I'm saying that it is democratic. It doesn't matter if those minority MEPs come purely from the UK or from a mix of different countries, the fact is that they are a minority and as such they don't get to control the lawmaking process by themselves.

Let me try this. Taking your quote and changing a few key words to provide an analogy:

Does each vote cast by a UK citizen carry equal weight then? No of course not. You avoid the point that every single Sussex MP's vote can be completely ignored which in anyones eyes should be seen as inherently undemocratic.

Do you agree with the above sentence? And if not, why not, when you wrote the prior one?

For the record, you said before that you wanted straight line accountability to those who make the laws that affect the UK to be purely within the remit of the UK citizens. I'm fine with that as a position to take and understand if that is something that you want, but am disappointed that you feel the need to paint the EU as an undemocratic institution as a way of justifying it.

I will agree In that specific European parliament example .. the process is democratic from a European context (your perspective) but in reality not democratic from the perspective from someone who wants what you correctly highlight in the last paragraph.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
comical stuff coming from the remain lot.

on the one hand the inners will tell you The EU is a democratic entity and to claim otherwise is silly
in the same breath the inners will tell you the EU needs reform and needs to be more democratic and the only way to do this is remain and work from within

make your mind up fellas,

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting

on the one hand the inners will tell you The EU is a democratic entity and to claim otherwise is silly
in the same breath the inners will tell you the EU needs reform and needs to be more democratic and the only way to do this is remain and work from within

Yep, members of Confused.com.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

That's nonsensical!!!

Yes there are those of us that think it is democratic but equally that doesn't mean we don't think it can be improved on.

We have a supposed democratic system in this country but there are many that think it could be improved with PR.

5ways

Sep 18, 2012
Yes but I still want to use proper light bulbs and have a mega vacuum cleaner.

On a serious note. Do you believe everything the government says? We have the worlds 5th biggest economy and London is the financial centre of the world. Obviously the world would turn its back on us on June 24th.

It's not just about June 24th. It's about 5, 10, 15 years down the line. We are better able to face the future in the EU, imo. Demographics are against us and the next generation is going to be poorer and be in a tougher situation than the last. We need to work together as much as possible.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I'm not worried about losing £4k, im worried losing power and being part of a Federal States of Europe..

Exactly this. Funny how the financial sector, and those who support the 'in' campaign using financial matters as their only argument, can't understand this basic principle. Well, not really funny - more a tragedy waiting to happen.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
It's not just about June 24th. It's about 5, 10, 15 years down the line. We are better able to face the future in the EU, imo. Demographics are against us and the next generation is going to be poorer and be in a tougher situation than the last. We need to work together as much as possible.

Yes. And do you want to know why? A thousand continuous years as a sovereign nation. We've seen off Naziism, Communism, napaelonic empire building, we've even went back and gave the USA a good poke in the eye in 1812 by burning down the White House before we got bored of no one fighting us.

The EU is no different. One country (Germany) ruling through economic rather than military means. Huge youth unemployment, open protests from Athens to marseille a migrant crisis set to force some members to opt completely out of the no borders deal.

To top it off 60million Turks don't need a visa to enter the EU. I imagine that Brighton looks a lot more attractive than.istanbul. Especially in regards to jobs.

OUT we have nothing to fear.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here