Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Guy Crouchback

Jun 20, 2012
So, basically Great Britain wants to leave the EU because they don't get the respect they deserve, and Germans rule there anyway.

Well, in that case England should leave the UEFA and FIFA (sorry if you've heard the joke before). ;)

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
Here is my scenario on this referendum (for what it's worth). Brexit are successful....Scotland call for another vote on independence, which they win. Then apply to Europe for membership, the Europeans in a fit of pique welcome them with open arms. And in a flash Great Britain becomes 'Little Britain'. :down:

larus

The immigration issue is about issues of integration, cultural dilution and pressure on public services. I get why people think that, and its a very real and pressing problem in parts. Many people want to vote Leave because of that, and you are, correctly, pointing out that there will be no reduction in the number of immigrants here. So people like @larus, who already think there are too many, are going to be very disappointed in your answer that the numbers won't go down.

Thank you for assuming you know my position, which, you are wrong on. I'm not expecting a Brexit vote to result in a 10m reduction in our population. However, we would be in a position to decide if we wish to remove a number of EU immigrants from the country. But, the reality of this is that it won't happen overnight and it won't be an easy process. It also shouldn't be the desired solution, due to the knock-on effects on the economy. It would allow a control om further immigration, and a review process of existing workers. Some, may choose to leave of their own accord, but we just don't know.

QUESTION
Watching City in the Sky (BBC) they spoke about the A380 Airbus which is built partly in Wales. If (when) we leave will there be a tax on the bits we send over which I believe is the tail? Will there be a stoppage on 24th June for two years whilst we discuss this? Genuine question, although a bit stupid, there must be 1000's of other small companies in the same situation.

Depends how the government and the EU enact a vote to leave. Most likely, there'd be very little change in the short-term; both parties (UK and EU) would agree to continue to be bound by the terms of membership until a new agreement could be negotiated, on the understanding that such an agreement would have to be in place within two years.

c0lz

North East Stand.
Jan 26, 2010
Patcham/Brighton
Here is my scenario on this referendum (for what it's worth). Brexit are successful....Scotland call for another vote on independence, which they win. Then apply to Europe for membership, the Europeans in a fit of pique welcome them with open arms. And in a flash Great Britain becomes 'Little Britain'. :down:

But what I find strange Scotland want independence to govern themselves but then want to join Euro lol.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing

That will suit all the Little Englanders then

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.

Possible but Spain - with a fear of Catalan and Basque independence - and France - Corsican - would be very unlikely to encourage Scottish separatism.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Here is my scenario on this referendum (for what it's worth). Brexit are successful....Scotland call for another vote on independence, which they win. Then apply to Europe for membership, the Europeans in a fit of pique welcome them with open arms. And in a flash Great Britain becomes 'Little England'. :down:

Corrected for you.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
This is all a bit of a shock, I wonder which side the Star, The Mail, The Express, The Times, The Telegraph, are going to declare for. :ffsparr:

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
Priti Patel, Tory Minister and leading Leave supporter says when we are out of the EU the VAT on gas and electricity bills can be abolished which 'will help the poorest'.
On 28 Jun 2010:
Priti Patel voted to raise VAT to 20% from the 4th of January 2011.
On 28 Jun 2011:
Priti Patel voted not to decrease the main rate of VAT by 2.5% to 17.5% for one year as of the 30th of August 2011.
On 3 Jul 2012:
Priti Patel voted against cutting VAT from 20% to 17.5%
On 18 Apr 2013:
Priti Patel voted against reducing VAT from 20% to 17.5%
Trust Priti to have our best interests at heart

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
QUESTION
Watching City in the Sky (BBC) they spoke about the A380 Airbus which is built partly in Wales. If (when) we leave will there be a tax on the bits we send over which I believe is the tail? Will there be a stoppage on 24th June for two years whilst we discuss this? Genuine question, although a bit stupid, there must be 1000's of other small companies in the same situation.

We send the wings so do you really think Airbus will wait for 2 years with hangars full of A380's without wings or quickly get it sorted ?

My point exactly. We leave, will the borders just go up with 10% tax on everything. No one knows for sure.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
If you take the £350m a week at face value it equates to about £18bn a year. Net of rebates etc the consensus is a figure somewhere between £6bn and £9bn. Since the first poll was published last week showing Leave ahead the FTSE 100 has dropped by around 300 points - in financial terms that's a drop in value of around £80bn. Financial markets are pretty ruthless - value is driven by future prospects. So if Leave say the economy will be fine, probably worth asking why people whose only job is to make money out of the economy think the exact opposite....

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
This is not about Europe's 'form'. As you indicate, the Dutch and Irish votes were about the Maastricht Treaty, and that treaty was amended as a consequence of those votes. This is about UK membership of the EU. What the EU wants is immaterial on this; it's merely about what the UK electorate decides. It's a big, big decision that's in the current UK electorate's hands and the repercussions are long-term. That is what the situation is. Speculation is merely a distraction from the starkness of that situation.

And as regards a further Scottish referendum, at present, that's just not on the cards, not least because it's not in the SNP's interest to call for another one (which is why they're not pushing for one). I'll add my caveat to that. If the UK pulls out of the EU that situation will change dramatically, and there will be another Scottish referendum, and the Scots will pull out.

In other words, this EU/UK referendum is about the future of two unions.

Are you sure Machiavelli is the right name for you? You seem very accepting of the situation as it's being presented to us. You maybe right. I'm a cynical old goat though and strongly suspect that contingencies might well be in place to mitigate a "leave" vote. I simply find it very hard to believe that the EU will let us leave without at least some attempt at bringing us back into the fold.

Other opinions are available of course. Best of luck to you, sir.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here