Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
Don't quite know how you extrapolate from my posts that I'm for totalitarianism!!

As for Polish history, they were ruled by the USSR for many years, not sure they will take too kindly to having their judicial systems interfered with. Time will tell but the following seems to suggest more are against the government than they are against the EU.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-36236576

Tell me, how did they become ruled by the USSR? I am damn sure that the populace wont take too kindly to being 'interfered' with in any way by dictatorial or blackmail behaviour.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Tell me, how did they become ruled by the USSR? I am damn sure that the populace wont take too kindly to being 'interfered' with in any way by dictatorial or blackmail behaviour.

Might have been because they weren't part of a bigger international organisation!!!!!! (I jest by the way). To be fair, they were liberated by the USSR from the Germans in 1944. Unfortunately for them, their liberators chose not to leave! (notwithstanding any previous Nazi/Soviet non-aggression pact about the sharing out of Poland).

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
The EU also helps keep our air and water clean

except that EU regs have promoted diesel over petrol (or other) cars, which are more polluting, to support vested interests in diesel technology. they also seek to regulate the energy output of kettles, heaters, hairdryers and such at the alter of CO2 reduction, oblivious to the fact that many appliances will just be used for longer instead (takes x energy to boiler a cuppa regardless).

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
It also has higher rates of inward migration hmmm

HMMMM

And they decide who comes in - there's no free for all - thus they can select the skills they needs and ensure no one part of the labour market is flooded. EXACTLY the system proposed by Brexit. Hmmm, HMMMMM.

cunning fergus

NSC Patron
Jan 18, 2009
Don't quite know how you extrapolate from my posts that I'm for totalitarianism!!

As for Polish history, they were ruled by the USSR for many years, not sure they will take too kindly to having their judicial systems interfered with. Time will tell but the following seems to suggest more are against the government than they are against the EU.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-36236576

Well you seem comfortable with the position that democratically elected Governments can be subordinated to the EU.......if the cap fits?

I think most Poles, regardless of whether they voted for the party running the country or not will be appalled at their relatively new democracy being penalised by unelected officials.

It is the case that the party running the country won the elections fair and square, it is a healthy sign that democracies allow protests by those opposed to Govts, as they do for those supporting it......

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-35088391

Maldini

Banned
Aug 19, 2015
I've responded to you saying that you misunderstand that the economy is not a zero-sum game. You do not 'replace' a British worker. The more activity there is in the economy the larger the economy gets. The more people in the economy the more activity there is. I know you're not happy to get your facts form google but this is actual numbers and actual evidence, it might be contrary to your anecdotal experience but the facts show it is untrue across the whole economy.

The economic benefit is not wiped out. EU migrants help pay down the deficit. They are a net benefit, they use less social services than native brits. EU migrants are also, on average, better educated than us - they don't all go into manual work. Walk along Southbank in London you will hear European accents in suits. It is all here if you care to look: http://cep.lse.ac.uk/pubs/download/brexit05.pdf

But finally you have to stop thinking than a migrant 'replaces' tax a brit would earn. That is simply not how it works. There is no finite number of jobs like there is not finite growth. Economic activity creates more economic activity.

Let's say you're correct and migrants do not replace british workers.Let's say they are increasing economic activity.The extra revenue generated is needed to pay for all the extra facilites./services/infrastructure etc.So there is no gain.

Through my job I have come across a fair few migrants who have 'replaced' brits.As I said I don't take all my info from google.If I could be bothered I would do as you do and trawl up report after report supporting my argument.

So you've come across a number of europeans along southbank?Do they have McDonalds/Starbucks along there?Seriously is that the best you can do.London has had foreign workers in good jobs for years.Many work for european companies.The test is to see how many have high paid jobs in average size towns.

Let's assume migrants use less services than Brits.They might use less but then again they pay less tax because the majority are in low paid work.Brits who use services have built up their contribution to the funding over years.Like myself who has paid tax for years and my parents.Migrants have built up far far far less.

There is no point to increase the population just to get us to square one.More money however more services needed.What you are left with is a Britain that is fast becoming a united nations.Even my mother who isn't from the UK is voting no.Tell's you something doesn't it.

Maldini

Banned
Aug 19, 2015
Remain say we have to stay in the EU for the sake of workers rights.Brits /Unions have been fighting for workers rights for years.Before the EU and without the EU we have made great progress. The idea that we are not sophisticated enough, organised enough, civilised enough to form our own workers rights is yet another insult towards the UK from Cameron, his cronies and the EU.

Maldini

Banned
Aug 19, 2015
Remain say if we leave the EU holiday prices will go up. Britain has a very sophisticated / advanced / competitive travel business. If I were in Spain,Italy,France I would not have access to so many options as in the UK where you are swamped with choices of travel companies and airlines. It's very very cut-throat.If we left the EU these companies would continue to fight like cats and dogs to get our business by offering us cheap prices.EU countries would continue to offer our airline companies and travel companies the same prices for airport landings / hotels etc because many earn zillions from Brits who are a nation of travellers.It's too much business to let slip.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
Let's say you're correct and migrants do not replace british workers.Let's say they are increasing economic activity.The extra revenue generated is needed to pay for all the extra facilites./services/infrastructure etc.So there is no gain.

Through my job I have come across a fair few migrants who have 'replaced' brits.As I said I don't take all my info from google.If I could be bothered I would do as you do and trawl up report after report supporting my argument.

So you've come across a number of europeans along southbank?Do they have McDonalds/Starbucks along there?Seriously is that the best you can do.London has had foreign workers in good jobs for years.Many work for european companies.The test is to see how many have high paid jobs in average size towns.

Let's assume migrants use less services than Brits.They might use less but then again they pay less tax because the majority are in low paid work.Brits who use services have built up their contribution to the funding over years.Like myself who has paid tax for years and my parents.Migrants have built up far far far less.

There is no point to increase the population just to get us to square one.More money however more services needed.What you are left with is a Britain that is fast becoming a united nations.Even my mother who isn't from the UK is voting no.Tell's you something doesn't it.

Even if the additional wealth that EU migrants bring only just covers the cost of additional hospitals, etc this is only a miniscule part of the economic debate. The wider, and far more important, issue is the wealth generated by us all as members of the EU. I know every single forecast has been rubbished by Vote Leave, but the consensus amongst the vast majority of economists is that we will be far, far better off remaining in. The loss of wealth, job opportunities, etc as a consequence of leaving will be huge. In a Leave scenario we simply won't have the money to build hospitals, schools, etc. I really wish we could look at the wider picture, which is far more important than immigration!

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
I thought I'd copy an article from yesterday's El Pais which some may find interesting. My Spanish is a bit ropey, but just about good enough to get the jist of this, but feel free to use Google to get a mangled version! The key take-away for me was this bit: "Brighton tiene más inmigración (15%) que Bognor (9%). Pero, la valoración de su impacto cultural es el doble de positiva en Brighton." [Brighton has more immigration than Bognor, but values its cultural impact twice as positively"]

Dos vistas de Europa desde la costa de Inglaterra
Brighton y Bognor Regis, separadas por apenas 50 kilómetros, representan los dos extremos de la fractura que divide al país ante el referéndumd de la UE

Existe una histórica controversia acerca de las últimas palabras que pronunció Jorge V en su lecho de muerte. Una de las teorías –no la más verosímil- ha proporcionado un doloroso estigma que acompañará siempre a esta localidad de la costa sur de Inglaterra, Bognor, cuya fugaz relación con el abuelo de Isabel II la hizo merecedora del epíteto latino de Regis, que la adorna desde 1929. Aquel año el rey sufrió una infección respiratoria para la que su médico, lord Dawson of Penn, le prescribió una estancia junto al mar. Jorge V cumplió su penitencia pasando una temporada en la mansión de un amigo en Bognor. A los primeros síntomas de mejoría, el rey regresó a Londres, donde pasó sus últimos seis años de vida.

La teoría sostiene que lord Dawson –antes de suministrarle una dosis letal de morfina y cocaína para asegurarse de que el deceso real fuera recogido antes en los diarios de la mañana que en los menos deseables tabloides vespertinos- le aseguró que pronto estaría bien y listo para pasar otras vacaciones en Bognor. “¡Que le den a Bognor!”, le habría respondido el rey, antes de cerrar para siempre los ojos. Sea o no cierta la teoría, lo que sí parece contrastado es que la ciudad no dejó una profunda huella en su majestad. Es recíproco: tampoco el rastro de la sangre azul es muy evidente aquí. Ni siquiera la casa en la que se alojó el rey sigue en pie. La Bognor Regis del siglo XXI es una ciudad tirando a decadente, que se autoproclama desde un cartel “la capital del sol” de Reino Unido, en esta mañana gris y lluviosa a solo tres semanas del referéndum en el que el país decidirá si rompe con los vecinos de ahí enfrente, al otro lado del canal de la Mancha.

Bognor es hoy de las dos patas de un curioso microcosmos de la fractura que divide al país de cara a la consulta sobre la permanencia en la UE. La otra pata es Brighton, un poco más al este. Las baña el mismo mar, las riega la misma lluvia y las separan apenas 50 kilómetros. Pero representan las antípodas del debate sobre el Brexit. Brighton es masivamente proeuropea y Bognor, mayoritariamente euroescéptica. Diferentes estudios señalan que la edad y el grado de educación son los dos factores más determinantes sobre el sentido del voto en el referéndum. Brighton tiene una población joven y el 37% son licenciados universitarios, 10 puntos más que la media nacional. En Bognor, el 34% de los residentes es mayor de 60 años, 12 puntos sobre la media del país.

En las concurridas calles de los Lanes, en el centro de Brighton, las boutiques y los cafés se suceden como en cualquier centro hipster de una capital europea. Solo una hora en tren separa Brighton de Londres, y los precios de la vivienda en la capital han empujado hacia la ciudad costera a un buen número de jóvenes profesionales en busca de una vida más relajada. Más de 30.000 residentes viajan cada mañana a Londres a trabajar. Los votantes de esta circunscripción eligen desde 2010 a la única diputada verde que se sienta en el Parlamento británico, y el antieuropeo UKIP se ha quejado de la hostilidad con la que se le ha recibido en esta ciudad.

“Para mí la UE es una garantía de una serie de logros que correrían peligro si nos vamos”, explica Jackie, profesora de 33 años, sentada en la terraza de un café de los Lanes. “Derechos de la mujer, de los trabajadores, protección del medioambiente… Me aterra pensar qué sería de todo eso si nos vamos. Hay muchas cosas que no me gustan de la UE, pero creo que nos protege de nosotros mismos”. El perfil demográfico no es lo único que separa a Bognor de Brighton. El tejido comercial del centro de la ciudad no puede ser más diferente. En Bognor, a dos horas en tren de la capital, abundan los supermercados de baja gama, casas de apuestas, tiendas de beneficencia y comercios de alimentación polacos.

La relación con la inmigración es otro de los factores que inclinan la balanza hacia uno u otro lado del debate europeo. Brighton tiene más inmigración (15%) que Bognor (9%). Pero, la valoración de su impacto cultural es el doble de positiva en Brighton.

Bognor es territorio conservador con una fuerte presencia del UKIP. Hay una importante comunidad de ciudadanos de Europa del este, muchos de ellos llegados para trabajar en los invernaderos del norte de la ciudad. La iglesia católica local ofrece una misa a la semana en polaco y algunos parquímetros del centro muestran los textos traducidos a ese idioma. Los tabloides han contribuido a ese choque cultural de la población autóctona con los recién llegados. En junio de 2012, por ejemplo, el Daily Mail alertaba sobre la “invasión de criminales de Europa del Este” después de que, supuestamente, se hubieran descubierto carteles en las cárceles polacas invitando a los presidiarios a “empezar una nueva vida en Bognor Regis”. Sarah y John, una pareja de jubilados, pasan por delante de una tiendas polaca en la calle Queensway. “Sé que los inmigrantes vienen aquí a trabajar, pero creo que a menudo se aprovechan de nuestra generosidad”, dice ella. “A los políticos que defienden la UE, les invitaría a pasar una temporada en Bognor”, añade él.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Well you seem comfortable with the position that democratically elected Governments can be subordinated to the EU.......if the cap fits?

I think most Poles, regardless of whether they voted for the party running the country or not will be appalled at their relatively new democracy being penalised by unelected officials.

It is the case that the party running the country won the elections fair and square, it is a healthy sign that democracies allow protests by those opposed to Govts, as they do for those supporting it......

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-35088391

We'll have to agree to disagree how we interpret it. However, the opening line of both links says a lot. In one it describes tens of thousands of protesters against the government and in the other just describes thousands supporting the government!

Maldini

Banned
Aug 19, 2015
Even if the additional wealth that EU migrants bring only just covers the cost of additional hospitals, etc this is only a miniscule part of the economic debate. The wider, and far more important, issue is the wealth generated by us all as members of the EU. I know every single forecast has been rubbished by Vote Leave, but the consensus amongst the vast majority of economists is that we will be far, far better off remaining in. The loss of wealth, job opportunities, etc as a consequence of leaving will be huge. In a Leave scenario we simply won't have the money to build hospitals, schools, etc. I really wish we could look at the wider picture, which is far more important than immigration!

Economic forecasts on both sides have to be taken with a pinch of salt.If we leave then our population won't increase at the rate it is doing so and therefore if we cannot build hospitals etc then it won't be as important. I don't see any point to increasing the population to use the extra money if there is extra money to use it to pay for services and get us back to square one.

I keep asking remainers what's your ceiling regards immigrants.How many will you accept before you say enough is enough or do you not have a limit? Only one remainer has bothered to answer and he seems to think migration to the UK has ended.So what's your ceiling?

Steve in Japan

NSC Patron
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne
I thought I'd copy an article from yesterday's El Pais which some may find interesting. My Spanish is a bit ropey, but just about good enough to get the jist of this, but feel free to use Google to get a mangled version! The key take-away for me was this bit: "Brighton tiene más inmigración (15%) que Bognor (9%). Pero, la valoración de su impacto cultural es el doble de positiva en Brighton." [Brighton has more immigration than Bognor, but values its cultural impact twice as positively"]

This might be well intentioned, I don't know, but why are you posting long articles in Spanish? Seriously do you think we'll all go and translate it? Feck.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
I have come to the conclusion that neither side know anything about what is going to happen if we vote leave. The whole thing is getting completely out of hand and campaigners are now trying to save their own sorry political skins.

However, it is the leave campaign, and Boris, Farage and Gove that are really getting on my nerves.

The Boris bus has "we send the EU £350M a week" plastered along the side of it - conveniently omitting how much we get back from the EU
The leave campaign go on about immigration. The 2015 net immigration figure was 333,000 - less than half of which were from the EU
I've heard a lot from the leave campaign about the Lisbon Treaty stating a European Army is to be formed in 2017 with conscription from all countries. Read up on it, that's bollocks
And we get ridiculous soundbites from Boris stating things like the EU prevent us buying bunches of bananas with more than 3 fruit on them. Again, bollocks.

On top of all the lies, the leave campaign are now starting to make statements that sound more like Governmental policy making, "We can take VAT off fuel bills" "We will introduce a points system for immigration" etc Really? So how are you going to do that? You are running a campaign to leave the EU, not to become the Government.

The cynic in me firmly believes that Boris is simply using this referendum as what he perceives to be the quickest route to Number 10. If the result is leave, I fully expect Boris to instigate a vote of no confidence in Cameron with a view to becoming PM himself.

I am sure the remain campaign are probably just as bad, but Boris and his cronies have at least managed to convince this voter how to vote. I'm Remain.

5ways

Sep 18, 2012
except that EU regs have promoted diesel over petrol (or other) cars, which are more polluting, to support vested interests in diesel technology. they also seek to regulate the energy output of kettles, heaters, hairdryers and such at the alter of CO2 reduction, oblivious to the fact that many appliances will just be used for longer instead (takes x energy to boiler a cuppa regardless).

Happy to shift the debate to kettles :wink:

Fair enough on diesel, what a disaster!

"http://www.vox.com/2015/10/15/9541789/volkswagen-europe-diesel-pollution

At the time, there were lots of different paths Europe's automakers could have taken to green itself. They could've pursued direct injection technology for gasoline vehicles, making those engines more fuel-efficient. They could've ramped up development of hybrid-electric cars, as Toyota was doing in Japan. But European companies like Peugeot and Volkswagen and BMW had already been making big investments in diesel, and they wanted a climate policy that would help those bets to pay off.

Europe's policymakers obliged. The EU agreed to a voluntary CO2 target for vehicles that was largely in line with what diesel technology could meet. As researcher Sarah Keay-Bright later noted, these standards were crafted so as not to force Europe's automakers to develop hybrids, electric vehicles, or other advanced powertrains.

Meanwhile, European nations — including Britain, France, Germany, Italy, Spain, and Austria — had been cutting taxes on diesel car purchases and diesel fuel to promote sales, all in the name of thwarting climate change. Diesel sales soared. Back in 1990, just 10 percent of new car registrations in Europe had run on diesel. By 2011, that had climbed to nearly 60 percent."

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
This might be well intentioned, I don't know, but why are you posting long articles in Spanish? Seriously do you think we'll all go and translate it? Feck.

I found it interesting. If you want to read it, it'd take 5 seconds to translate it. I appreciate that he posted the original rather than a mangled google translated version though.

5ways

Sep 18, 2012
I have come to the conclusion that neither side know anything about what is going to happen if we vote leave. The whole thing is getting completely out of hand and campaigners are now trying to save their own sorry political skins.

However, it is the leave campaign, and Boris, Farage and Gove that are really getting on my nerves.

The Boris bus has "we send the EU £350M a week" plastered along the side of it - conveniently omitting how much we get back from the EU
The leave campaign go on about immigration. The 2015 net immigration figure was 333,000 - less than half of which were from the EU
I've heard a lot from the leave campaign about the Lisbon Treaty stating a European Army is to be formed in 2017 with conscription from all countries. Read up on it, that's bollocks
And we get ridiculous soundbites from Boris stating things like the EU prevent us buying bunches of bananas with more than 3 fruit on them. Again, bollocks.

On top of all the lies, the leave campaign are now starting to make statements that sound more like Governmental policy making, "We can take VAT off fuel bills" "We will introduce a points system for immigration" etc Really? So how are you going to do that? You are running a campaign to leave the EU, not to become the Government.

The cynic in me firmly believes that Boris is simply using this referendum as what he perceives to be the quickest route to Number 10. If the result is leave, I fully expect Boris to instigate a vote of no confidence in Cameron with a view to becoming PM himself.

I am sure the remain campaign are probably just as bad, but Boris and his cronies have at least managed to convince this voter how to vote. I'm Remain.

And the idea that we can instead ship 350 million quid to the NHS is insulting to voters intelligence.

true cost of EU is "Deduct both the rebate (£4.9bn), which is never actually paid, and the money that is paid but sent back from the gross £17.8bn annual “membership fee” (£5.8bn), and you arrive at a net figure of £7.1bn. This equates to £136m a week, less than 40% of the amount splashed on the Vote Leave battlebus."

Still a lot of money but access to the single market creates many billions in trade everyday.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla

Boris is the one that has really hacked me off with all his constant lies.

With Gove, IDS and Farage you basically get what it says on the tin, even if you don't particularly want the tin. All fair enough.

Boris on the otherhand is a twisting snake who can't open his mouth without uttering a lie.

Holy dilemmas if it's Boris v Corbyn at the next election :nono:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here