Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Yes people with lots of money, now there is a surprise. Speaking to a taxi driver, he is vote leave along with all the drivers. Everyone I know is voting leave.

Speaking to a taxi driver....do you mean just listening?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Do think it is acceptable that the
EU spends over 100 million pounds a year moving offices once a month when there are starving people in southern Europe.

No I don't. There are a number of things I'd change about the EU and this is one of them.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
At least you can see it. Thing is the moving of offices cannot be changed. It stays regardless of cost.

Of course it can changed. And the U.K. is, and can be, the country to instigate change.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Of course it can changed. And the U.K. is, and can be, the country to instigate change.

Then why hasn't it in the last 40 years,and will it in the next 40?Or can remainers only see 15 years into the future!

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
And this is what the luvvies should have said: leave.jpg

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Then why hasn't it in the last 40 years,and will it in the next 40?Or can remainers only see 15 years into the future!

First, in many people's minds it's only really needed reform in the latter part of the 40 years. Second, the U.K. could be, and should be, a persuasive member, fully engaged, using this for the good of the Union. Its a 28 membership so the UK won't get its way all the time, and neither should it, but I'd happily put money on the Uk making real meaningful change.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

cunning fergus

NSC Patron
Jan 18, 2009
The above is not my position, it's just more rubbish that you've made up and somehow believe you can attribute to me. You can't.

You've failed to explain what you find "truly shocking" about the numbers despite being given multiple opportunities. You jump from one ill-informed point to another, trying to divert the conversation with personal attacks and inflammatory language when called on what you write. It's hardly an uncommon tactic, but does you no credit nevertheless.

Of course it's your position, you have raised all the 3 points I highlighted to indicate that 10,000 foreign prisoners in UK jails is nothing to be concerned about. Your point on Brits about is classic gold plated whataboutery and has NOTHING to do with this debate but you couldn't hold yourself back could you?

In contrast I find the numbers truly shocking because the cost of investigating, convicting and now maintaining 10,000 foreigners is far from negligible.

If it costs (say) £150 per day just to hold a prisoner in jail, this is £1.5m day for these 10,000 migrant criminals so that is north of £500m p.a.

If (say) the average term is 3 years, that's a billion and a half before we chuck in (say) another £5000 each for criminal investigation and prosecution (which feels under cooked). Then add a further £5000 for probation or deportation, there's another 100m.

Are these evident costs deducted from the benefits we are so often told we get from migrants, I suspect not.....and that does not even accommodate the consequences for their victims. Truly shocking.

5ways

Sep 18, 2012
Of course it's your position, you have raised all the 3 points I highlighted to indicate that 10,000 foreign prisoners in UK jails is nothing to be concerned about. Your point on Brits about is classic gold plated whataboutery and has NOTHING to do with this debate but you couldn't hold yourself back could you?

In contrast I find the numbers truly shocking because the cost of investigating, convicting and now maintaining 10,000 foreigners is far from negligible.

If it costs (say) £150 per day just to hold a prisoner in jail, this is £1.5m day for these 10,000 migrant criminals so that is north of £500m p.a.

If (say) the average term is 3 years, that's a billion and a half before we chuck in (say) another £5000 each for criminal investigation and prosecution (which feels under cooked). Then add a further £5000 for probation or deportation, there's another 100m.

Are these evident costs deducted from the benefits we are so often told we get from migrants, I suspect not.....and that does not even accommodate the consequences for their victims. Truly shocking.

You're ability to throw out figures without sources and come to your preferred conclusion is truly not shocking.

cunning fergus

NSC Patron
Jan 18, 2009
My point being you spout figures without any context. Stats on their own are pretty meaningless. Look at the context of 14%. Compare it to other similar nations in Europe and then with other nations with different immigration policies. But you won't do this. You'll continue with your frenzied verbal diarrhoea spouting all manner of ill-informed and under researched nonsense you've dug up from the Internet.

Maybe if you were a little calmer in character you might take a breath and come up with an argument which actually sticks?

Ha, don't you fret about my disposition my wenig Deutschmark shop fuhrer.

In my view this is not a point that requires context with other countries because that is there problem. If Germany wants to deal with the resultant chaos of 1m migrants with busy hands and are ready for action them that's there lookout.

The UK has 10,000 foreign prisoners, or 14% of its prison population, that is neither made better or worse with comparison with other European countries.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
The curve ball here is the working class and the elderly. The elderly are for leave in the main as are the working class but, historically, the working class don't vote. I have a feeling they will on this occasion though.

I think the polls are wildly inaccurate with 56%remain and 37% leave. It'll be much closer than that. I do think that the naturalised Brits of foreign origin will swing it for in though.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

In my view this is not a point that requires context with other countries because that is there problem. If Germany wants to deal with the resultant chaos of 1m migrants with busy hands and are ready for action them that's there lookout.

The UK has 10,000 foreign prisoners, or 14% of its prison population, that is neither made better or worse with comparison with other European countries.

Of course you don't want to put anything context. Because that would mean facing reality not to mention blowing most of your frenzied hot-air nonsense out of the water. Take a look at Australia for example, yes, that country with the wonderful points based immigration system such loved by people like you.

Anyway, it's gonna be a scorcher here in the Hauptstadt so I'm going to finish up work now and head out into the sunshine. So, over to you to do your trademark personal insult (in Googled German) and we can call it a day

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton

Of the 10,000 foreigners in UK prisoners, how many are Irish and how many Jamaican?

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Do think it is acceptable that the
EU spends over 100 million pounds a year moving offices once a month when there are starving people in southern Europe.

It was Paxmans very own WTF moment.
Everyone was agreeing moving parliaments is crazy.

MEP Catherine Bearder explaining it to him was very forthcoming…."EU parliament was voted on numerous occasions to do away with Strasbourg,but its in the treaties so would need treaty change,and we all know what treaty change means these days…….another referendum………and we don’t wont those"

That’s how you do reform and meaningful change EU style.
By simply not doing it

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here