Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I don't buy that at all. Surely the answer is "Under the Fixed Term Parliament Act, I am not able to call an election even if I wanted to. However, even if I could, I wouldn't as I believe the current government are best placed to steer the country through the Brexit process."

It's not weakness to not doing something because she can't due to changes made before she was on the scene. It may also have finally got the "May can't call an election" realisation into the heads of those who seem oblivious to it.

Fair comment.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
"..... And let’s be clear about what is going to happen.

Article Fifty – triggered no later than the end of March.

A Great Repeal Bill to get rid of the European Communities Act – introduced in the next Parliamentary session.

Our laws made not in Brussels but in Westminster.

Our judges sitting not in Luxembourg but in courts across the land.

The authority of EU law in this country ended forever.

The people told us they wanted these things – and this Conservative Government is going to deliver them.

It is, of course, too early to say exactly what agreement we will reach with the EU. It’s going to be a tough negotiation, it will require some give and take. And while there will always be pressure to give a running commentary, it will not be in our national interest to do so.

But let me be clear about the agreement we seek.

I want it to reflect the strong and mature relationships we enjoy with our European friends.

I want it to include cooperation on law enforcement and counter-terrorism work.

I want it to involve free trade, in goods and services.

I want it to give British companies the maximum freedom to trade with and operate within the Single Market – and let European businesses do the same here.

But let’s state one thing loud and clear: we are not leaving the European Union only to give up control of immigration all over again. And we are not leaving only to return to the jurisdiction of the European Court of Justice. That’s not going to happen.
"

Prime Ministers Conference speech seemed to give us the basis for Brexit.

That's just a list of good things. No balance there at all, which is why it comes across as meaningless twaddle.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
[QUOTE=Raleigh Chopper;7656531]Another embarrassing rant.
She and the Government have not got a clue what they are going to do
.[/QUOTE

You have just written something where you could not possibly know if it is true or not, other than the usual ideological bluster. Then:facepalm: say other posts are embarrassing . .

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
Its difficult to judge as its only four months since the Brexit vote, yes four months, a time frame in which it would be difficult to build a house or get a mortgage and buy house. So all the knockers should consider that, its taken Corbin a year to formalise his economic policy as announced by himself on Saturday and yet he expects a new PM to establish herself, appoint a cabinet and have completed a strategy for all of her negotiations for Brexit. It a tawdry arguement made by opportunists who seek to knock the winning vote for Brexit. Its been incessant from influential MPs, journalists, experts, bankers, academics and all those who have boarded the Brussels gravy train.
I find it strange that parliament wants to have a hand in the negotiations when previously there would have been no input into EU law passed in Brussels and I seriously doubt that those in parliament are anymore informed than most of us. Regarding Theresa Mays leadership, I hear she is 17% ahead of her opponents has stated that she will push ahead with Brexit, put Hollande in his place regarding bankers moving to France, the closure of the Calais camp and the consideration given to EDF on the building of our next generation of nuclear power stations. Told Schultz that we would not be influenced to change our mind and is sending her ministers and taking herself to trading partners around the world that are eager to have a trading relationship with us. There will be a trade deal with the EU, even though trading is covered by the WTO so we would never be excluded from that market and the head of the WTO has said that he would bend over backwards to ensure that our exit from the EU would be seemless as far as he is concerned.
So don't knock Theresa May, give her time and try to give her support as she will be doing all she can to ensure the future success of our country, its in her interest, her make up and her history. It must be hard for left leaning voters to have lost a general election and now the Brexit vote, but remember we live in a democracy and means that the guy who sweeps our streets and cleans the toilets has the same vote as the the intelligentsia, posing journalists, academics etc, its hard for their egos to take but the vote went against these people, its a pity they can't accept it.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
That's just a list of good things. No balance there at all, which is why is comes across as meaningless twaddle.

What do you mean by not having balance? It shows at the very least that membership of the single market is a non starter and free movement will end.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
She seems to be trying to go full tilt for something she didn't believe in in the first place..........

I am assuming you mean this as a compliment -she did not initially want it, but has listened to what the people say and will act accordingly. Shame that the Westminster Bubble luvvies are not as principled.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
What do you mean by not having balance? It shows at the very least that membership of the single market is a non starter and free movement will end.
Sorry but to me it just sounds like pandering to the lowest common denominator. At no point since becoming PM has she said anything about the risks and pitfalls of Brexit and where our priorities are. It's all just bluster.

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
There are two ways under the FTPA that an election can be called ahead of schedule.

The first is if two thirds of MPs vote to hold an election. This is a very high bar and would in practice require both Labour and Conservative support.

The second is if there is a no confidence vote in the government of the day. After such a vote other parties are given 14 days to form another government. If none can be formed, a new election is held.

There are indeed and neither of them is going to happen.

The initial short answer (nobody wants to read a boring diatribe) was to point out that the government cannot just call a GE willy nilly as they used to be able to to suit themselves, or other peoples ideas, that they should. It just isn't that easy any more.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Sorry but to me it just sounds like pandering to the lowest common denominator. At no point since becoming PM has she said anything about the risks and pitfalls of Brexit and where our priorities are. It's all just bluster.

Tough crowd. I would like to know how much detail the critics expect the government to set out pre negotiations that doesn't undermine our negotiating position.

Thought there were already more than enough people banging on about the risks and pitfalls.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
There are two ways under the FTPA that an election can be called ahead of schedule.

The first is if two thirds of MPs vote to hold an election. This is a very high bar and would in practice require both Labour and Conservative support.

The second is if there is a no confidence vote in the government of the day. After such a vote other parties are given 14 days to form another government. If none can be formed, a new election is held.

There is a third way: the government could seek to repeal the Act ... although that would be messy.

None of them look good TBH. The Act was passed in the first place to stop governments manipulating events to give themselves the best chance of winning an election. It looks particularly dubious to try to bypass it almost straight away

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
She doesn't say leaving the single market, in fact she says operate within the single market; I guess that answers the single market question.

Yes it does. She says "I want it to give British companies the maximum freedom to trade with and operate within the Single Market – and let European businesses do the same here." while ending ECJ primacy and free movement which means an end to membership of the single market.

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
People (legitimately, but not always rationally) question Corbyn on basis of 'competence'

Teresa May just went on a much vaunted trade visit to India, no doubt costing UK taxpayers plenty. First of all her team cocked up badly by not establishing an agreed position on Visas with the Indian Government in advance (hardly a surprise that came up), which made her look arrogant in assuming she could dictate terms and then a bit silly when she had to back down. But even worse, she then didn't manage to meet executives from Tata. She went on a trade mission to India and didn't meet with Tata. FFS!

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
Several things could derail May, firstly the investigation into fraud at the last election could wipe out the Tories majority over night, the Tories are split over Europe so their majority however slim couldn't pass any legislation and now people who realise they were told a lie over things like the £350million in the NHS wouldn't perhaps want to vote out anymore.

Anyone who thinks if the Tories call an election it would result in them gaining a MASSIVE majority is frankly BONKERS.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Yes it does. She says "I want it to give British companies the maximum freedom to trade with and operate within the Single Market – and let European businesses do the same here." while ending ECJ primacy and free movement which means an end to membership of the single market.

No it doesn't, she doesn't explicitly say 'leaving the single market'.

She explicitly states all the other stuff, also rather ironically "Our laws made not in Brussels but in Westminster."!

Its not just what people do say, its also what they dont.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
You really are more STUPID than I thought you were

I doubt their majority would decrease by much though. Labour have no more chance of winning that I have of opening an oyster with a bus ticket as they are an unelectable shambles.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here