Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit - Deal we have or Rejoin CU/SM

Should we carry on with the deal we have or should we rejoin the Customs Union/Single Market

• Total voters

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Can't you just give it a rest.

It happened, for good or ill.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Ultimately the Single Market (with or without Customs Union) will happen, it's a geopolitical inevitablity. Every country in the world trades first and foremost with those nearest to it, and in the most frictionless way t can find. We're no exception to that rule. It'll take a couple of cycles for the poison of Brexit to be flushed away fully, but I expect SM membership to be in at least one of the serious manifestos come the election after the upcoming one.
Let's hope Starmer puts it first and foremost in the manifesto.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
I've voted carry on as we have, to join a part of the European Union, pay for the privilege, without full membership could be a very expensive *&^%$£ muddle, on top of the very expensive &^%$$* muddle we already have. We can't pick bits of what we want, we're either IN or OUT, and we need to think about it this time, create a comprehensive strategy and see it through, rather than jump on a political whim.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
The thread for discussion is here The Brexit thread as always. But it was pointed out that we haven't had a poll for 7 years, and what with it being summer. No fence sitting
Couldn't you and @The Clamp have got together and created one thread ? I know it's close season but really :facepalm:

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Currently 74 votes to 7 and one of the 7's was by an accident

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
The deal we have isn’t fully implemented yet. There are no import tariffs on goods coming into the country, because the government keeps kicking the can down the road. October is the latest deadline.
Wait until you see the price rises then. Doom and gloom? No, reality.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Is the problem not about the numbers who want closer ties with Europe (as there is obviously a huge majority), but more where they are located?

Both parties are battling over the red wall. Labour will probably rebuild it at the next election, but if they're dragged thought the mud on culture war issues and EU membership this rebuild will be much less substantial.

In politics, as in war, don't do the thing your opponent most wants you to do. In Labour's case, it's to start talking about Brexit and the right to protest etc etc. I don't much like the lack of principal coming from the opposition at the moment, but I understand it.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
The deal we have isn’t fully implemented yet. There are no import tariffs on goods coming into the country, because the government keeps kicking the can down the road. October is the latest deadline.
Wait until you see the price rises then. Doom and gloom? No, reality.
But those price rises will be down to Covid and Vladimir Putin surely? Won't it be the same for everyone?

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Leaving the EU but staying in the SM & CU would have been acceptable to me as remainer in the aftermath of the referendum. In all honesty I thought that was what we were going to get before the government got hijacked by a bunch of complete and utter fools hellbent on damaging this country as much as they could.

We should obviously be looking to rejoin the SM/CU as soon as possible. I find Keir Starmer's position on this utterly feeble at the moment. I cannot see how he can get a closer relationship without rejoining the SM/CU. Hopefully that will be another promise he fails to keep once in power.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Couldn't you and @The Clamp have got together and created one thread ? I know it's close season but really :facepalm:
Well, we could but it’s not usual for me to consult with other users before creating a poll.

Happy for it to be merged / deleted / ploughed into a ditch.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
There's still a bit of me that think ultimately it will be the Tories that take us back into the SM.

If they lose power and see it as the way back they will do it

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
The thing being overlooked is whether we would be allowed to simply rejoin. There would need to be a vote by other members and we would need to decide whether it would be full EU remembership (unlikely at this moment) or if not we would need to create some unique situation where we would have access to the single market and customs union because other countries are part of other trading partnerships such as EFTA. Some people say we could simply join EFTA but the other members wouldn't want us. Norway and Switzerland style arrangements suit them because they are completely different economies on the periphery of Europe. It is far better for a large economy like the UK to be front and centre as full EU members

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
As I have said before, rejoing the CU/SM is the silver bullet to get the economy fired up again. That said, I think Europe has had enough of the UK, and there's not big clamour for you, so I'm not convinced it would be that easy to rejoin.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Can't you just give it a rest.

It happened, for good or ill.
I've always found this and the "you lost, get over it argument" weirdly reductive. Lot's of things happen. Why is this the only thing we can never revisit?

"There are two paths and I've picked my path. The one I've chosen is going to take me off a cliff but, hey, I made my choice. Can't change it now"

BrightonCottager

Sep 30, 2013
Brighton
I was listening to a LBC phone-in on Monday and one of the learned panel deffo said that Michel Barnier had said the UK could rejoin on the same terms as we left ie we wouldn't have to join the Euro etc. Given that Johnson and the rest were promising a Norway-style deal, we'd be mugs not to at least sound them out. Yet Starmer won't suggest this because it's a political own goal and could reduce his votes among 'traditional' Labour voters. I don't think even the LibDems are even calling for it. I therefore look forward to the Greens having something in their Manifesto about it.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I was listening to a LBC phone-in on Monday and one of the learned panel deffo said that Michel Barnier had said the UK could rejoin on the same terms as we left ie we wouldn't have to join the Euro etc. Given that Johnson and the rest were promising a Norway-style deal, we'd be mugs not to at least sound them out. Yet Starmer won't suggest this because it's a political own goal and could reduce his votes among 'traditional' Labour voters. I don't think even the LibDems are even calling for it. I therefore look forward to the Greens having something in their Manifesto about it.

I believe what Barnier said was that we would be welcomed back but I don't believe there was any detail on the deal. Although I've no doubt we could negotiate a veto on the Euro and Schengen as before, I can't see us getting anywhere near the reams of vetoes, allowances and extras we had in the brilliant deal that politicians of all political hues had spent 40 years negotiating.

And don't forget, all the time we were negotiating that and shaping our membership, we were the second most powerful state in Europe. That ain't happening again anytime soon :shrug:

Last edited:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

Sorry, my fault. @The Clamp had already posted his and I hadn't seen it. I'll accept the fixtu..... :wink:

Interesting though 88% - 12% on Clamps poll, 93% - 7% on mine with a poster admitting being wrongly in the 7% which would make it 93.5% - 6.5%.

I wonder why the difference ?

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here