Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Breaking News: Playing field to become parking lot for Albion fans

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
Selling off all a schools playing fields is bad news, but space they dont need, well it can have its benefits.

Where I live Morrisons bought some of teh schools land for a extended car park. The school used the money for state of the art five a side pitches (complete with floodlights) and a new sports hall.

The only worrying thing with Brighton councils use of the land for car parking is that the money gained just goes straight back into the Council coffers.

Not sure how the granting of this land is connected to granting of Falmer. As this car park is needed to build the academy and would go ahead regardless of Falmer.

Anyway, just out of curiosity, why does a school need a car park for 1000 spaces. Has the legal age to drive fallen to 14?

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
DIFFBROOK said:
Not sure how the granting of this land is connected to granting of Falmer. As this car park is needed to build the academy and would go ahead regardless of Falmer.

Anyway, just out of curiosity, why does a school need a car park for 1000 spaces. Has the legal age to drive fallen to 14?

See my point on the previous page. I can't see why the car park would be required without the stadium. The report seems to suggest the academy doesn't need it, just the money for selling the land.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I'm sure that the various planning arms are not sufficiently joined-up to mae any link but at least when we do get the go ahead this is one potential future stumbling block dealt with

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
DIFFBROOK said:

Particularly as the school has just 664 pupils and serves one of the poorest areas of Brighton, one where car ownership will be particularly low. Very strange.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
Gwylan said:
I'm sorry but I don't think this is good news.

I'm all for Falmer but see no reason to increase car parking space and certainly see no reason to sell off school playing fields.

Hope this is a wind-up cos it's a terrible idea.

Am I reading this wrong, because this line in the report suggests that car parking is over or under the buildings.

A report reviewed by members of the city council's schools' committee this week said car parking could be provided underground or on the roofs of any buildings.

So in fact not paving for just car parks at all.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Downloaded Penguin
The Green Party, which is fundamentally opposed to city academies, has spoken of its dismay at the latest developments.

City councillor Ben Duncan, the Greens' education spokesman, said: "This looks worryingly like a land grab to me. It looks disturbingly like the administration places the needs of a football club above the needs of the city's children."
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wish the Greens would just stick to saving the planet and not get involved in issues like this.

Complete disaster in my opinion that there's now 3 Greens on the Brighton council planning committee. Let's hope we don't have to submit anymore applications relating to our stay at Withdean

:angry: :angry: :angry:

As Curious Orange has pointed out, the use of land at Falmer High School for parking has ALWAYS been part of the plans for the stadium.

The City Council have always been happy with that. But the precise arrangements have never been finalised.

What is new is that plans are now being developed to ensure that the commitment to use the land as a car park is being brought into the scheme to change the status of Falmer School from a local authority controlled school to a city academy, independent of City Council ownership.

The Academy proposals have a long way to go before they are finalised. But now we know that the stadium car park won't be threatened by any change in ownership.

It's not a very exciting story.

However ... what is exciting is that the City Academy sponsors are fully signed up to the educational opportunities that will come about as a result of having the Community Stadium next door but one. A major part of the football club's representation to Ruth Kelly, earlier this year, was about the economic, social and educational benefits that the stadium will bring to East Brighton. Working with the proposers of the City Academy project is a big element in delivering these benefits.

I'm sure Ruth Kelly will be impressed.

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
fosters headband said:
...car parking could be provided underground or on the roofs of any buildings.

on the roofs? How are cars going to get up on the roofs?

Clowns!

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
Downloaded Penguin said:
on the roofs? How are cars going to get up on the roofs?

Clowns!

Chitty.jpeg

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Lord Bracknell said:

However ... what is exciting is that the City Academy sponsors are fully signed up to the educational opportunities that will come about as a result of having the Community Stadium next door but one. A major part of the football club's representation to Ruth Kelly, earlier this year, was about the economic, social and educational benefits that the stadium will bring to East Brighton. Working with the proposers of the City Academy project is a big element in delivering these benefits.

I'm sure Ruth Kelly will be impressed.

Correct. :bowdown:

Rougvie

Rising Damp
Aug 29, 2003
Hove, f***ing ACTUALLY.
Good, and I hope its not parking on a first come first served basis, I want to be able to buy a space so I am assured I dont have to sit on some bus with a variety of pondlife with picures of Doug Loft prit-sticked on to their lunchboxes.

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
Rougvie said:
Good, and I hope its not parking on a first come first served basis, I want to be able to buy a space so I am assured I dont have to sit on some bus with a variety of pondlife with picures of Doug Loft prit-sticked on to their lunchboxes.
:lol: :lol: :clap: :clap:

Rougvie said:
The deal, as I understand it, will be that parking spaces MUST be bought in advance (with the match ticket) and that cars will only be admitted to the car park if they have more than one ticket holder on board. Travel vouchers will be collected on the way into the car park.

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
sully said:
Erm, ramps? :dunce:

How do you get to upper floors of multi-storey car-parks.

Which means they're going to have to build loads of ramps on the sides of buildings so people can park on the roofs. Can you just imagine this happening?? Let's start with the Brighton Centre. :jester:

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Downloaded Penguin said:
Which means they're going to have to build loads of ramps on the sides of buildings so people can park on the roofs. Can you just imagine this happening?? Let's start with the Brighton Centre. :jester:

You used to be able to park on the top of Churchill Square.

It's not new.

There's also a building near Asda that has a rooftop car park.

Remember that it's hilly round there, so it might not be as difficult as you think.

I'd agree that it isn't the best idea, though!

Lush

Mods' Pet
Gwylan said:
Particularly as the school has just 664 pupils and serves one of the poorest areas of Brighton, one where car ownership will be particularly low. Very strange.

Blimey. I'm sure there were twice as many pupils when I went there in the 70s. And it was roomy then! Have they knocked a load of buildings down? Can anyone post one of those overhead piccys?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here