Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brazil vs The Rest of the Wrold

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
None of these better than Rio or Cole?

Spain Defenders: Carles Puyol (Barcelona), Carlos Marchena (Valencia), Sergio Ramos (Real Madrid), Pablo Ibanez (Atletico Madrid), Juanito (Real Betis), Michel Salgado (Real Madrid), Joan Capdevila (Deportivo Coruna)

Netherlands Defenders: Khalid Boulahrouz (SV Hamburg/GER), Wilfred Bouma (Aston Villa/ENG), Giovanni van Bronckhorst (Barcelona/ESP), Tim de Cler, Barry Opdam, Ron Vlaar (all AZ Alkmaar), Nigel de Jong (Ajax), Jan Kromkamp (Villareal/ESP)

Argentina Defenders: Roberto Ayala (Valencia/ESP), Gabriel Milito (Real Zaragoza/ESP), Juan Pablo Sorin (Villarreal/ESP), Fabricio Coloccini (Deportivo La Coruna/ESP), Pablo Zabaleta (Espanyol/ESP), Diego Placente (Celta Vigo/ESP), Walter Samuel (Inter Milan/ITA), Martin Demichelis (Bayern Munich/GER)

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Rusthall Seagull said:
what makes you think that all these other defenders are 'better'?

How about the fact that they ARE?

Again it's all about opinions but I do think they are all 'better' players than Ferdinand. Ferdinand CANNOT head a ball, watch him try, go on. He wasn't scored for United yet, being a centre back of his size you'd expect him to have socred a least onwe goal from set pieces. He doesn't attack the ball. His makring was shown up again last week against Blackburn and also against Fulham. His tackling is good, I'll give you that but I think all the players I mentioned have better all round games that Rio.

Plus Jamie Carragher, he's BETTER too.

RonnieO'Sullivan

Feb 21, 2005
Uncle Buck said:
None of these better than Rio or Cole?

Spain Defenders: Carles Puyol (Barcelona), Carlos Marchena (Valencia), Sergio Ramos (Real Madrid), Pablo Ibanez (Atletico Madrid), Juanito (Real Betis), Michel Salgado (Real Madrid), Joan Capdevila (Deportivo Coruna)

Netherlands Defenders: Khalid Boulahrouz (SV Hamburg/GER), Wilfred Bouma (Aston Villa/ENG), Giovanni van Bronckhorst (Barcelona/ESP), Tim de Cler, Barry Opdam, Ron Vlaar (all AZ Alkmaar), Nigel de Jong (Ajax), Jan Kromkamp (Villareal/ESP)

Argentina Defenders: Roberto Ayala (Valencia/ESP), Gabriel Milito (Real Zaragoza/ESP), Juan Pablo Sorin (Villarreal/ESP), Fabricio Coloccini (Deportivo La Coruna/ESP), Pablo Zabaleta (Espanyol/ESP), Diego Placente (Celta Vigo/ESP), Walter Samuel (Inter Milan/ITA), Martin Demichelis (Bayern Munich/GER)

no your correct none of them are better.....

well said that man :lolol:

Rusthall Seagull

Jul 16, 2003
Tunbridge wells
ChapmansThe Saviour said:
How about the fact that they ARE?

Again it's all about opinions but I do think they are all 'better' players than Ferdinand. Ferdinand CANNOT head a ball, watch him try, go on. He wasn't scored for United yet, being a centre back of his size you'd expect him to have socred a least onwe goal from set pieces. He doesn't attack the ball. His makring was shown up again last week against Blackburn and also against Fulham. His tackling is good, I'll give you that but I think all the players I mentioned have better all round games that Rio.

Plus Jamie Carragher, he's BETTER too.

FACT.....? oh well you must be right....did you see Puyol defend on Sat? not what I would call world class? Carragher yesterday....a joke...Stam ridiculed in the Italian press. Helgulera, have you seen Madrid defend?? Campbell simply can't pass a football....but the FACT is they are better....;)

RonnieO'Sullivan

Feb 21, 2005
Rusthall Seagull said:
FACT.....? oh well you must be right....did you see Puyol defend on Sat? not what I would call world class? Carragher yesterday....a joke...Stam ridiculed in the Italian press. Helgulera, have you seen Madrid defend?? Campbell simply can't pass a football....but the FACT is they are better....;)

well said that man......

:clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

E

enigma

Chiellini? he's npt even a regular in the Italy squad.

Zambrotta is very good. But I really like the look of Del Horno

Buffon

Zanetti
Nesta
Puyol
Del Horno/Zambrotta

Vieira
Deco
Makelele

Totti

Shevchenko
Henry

E

enigma

Helguera isn't really a defender. He's a defensive midfielder.

Dandyman

In London village.
Rusthall Seagull said:

How about the opinion of the people that run Barca and who have put a £101 million buy out clause in Puyol's contract ?

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Rusthall Seagull said:

So do you agree that Ferdinand is the second best centre back in the world?

E

enigma

If Rio was on top form, then he would be second only to Nesta.

As it stands, his form is dodgy, and he has a habit of not being able to motivate himself for smaller games. His concentration seems to be a real issue.

Therefore he's not in my team.

RonnieO'Sullivan

Feb 21, 2005
Uncle Buck said:
What not better in your opinion?

Regarding Rio, I do rate him, but his form at present is pish and so his place in the England side has to be questioned. But sod that you obviously think you are right, so carry on being aggressive to those that disagree.

aggressive? :lolol:

Rusthall Seagull

Jul 16, 2003
Tunbridge wells
So do you agree that Ferdinand is the second best centre back in the world?

'If Rio was on top form, then he would be second only to Nesta.

As it stands, his form is dodgy, and he has a habit of not being able to motivate himself for smaller games. His concentration seems to be a real issue.'

I actually agree with this...it's not that I think that Rio is playing that well at the moment, but when on form he is certainly up there....

Dandyman

In London village.
Rusthall Seagull said:
'If Rio was on top form, then he would be second only to Nesta.

As it stands, his form is dodgy, and he has a habit of not being able to motivate himself for smaller games. His concentration seems to be a real issue.'

I actually agree with this...it's not that I think that Rio is playing that well at the moment, but when on form he is certainly up there....

Fair comment but raises the question of whether selection should be on the basis of current form or overall record.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
When was the last time that Rio had a good patch of 'form'? Terry has been in good form for about 3 years now, does that not make him a better proposition than Rio at present?

E

enigma

When was the last time that Rio had a good patch of 'form'? Terry has been in good form for about 3 years now, does that not make him a better proposition than Rio at present?

Yeah, arguably it does. The difference is Rio tends to play well in the big games, whereas Terry plays well in all the games. The only issue is which two defenders would complement each other best. Rio and Campbell have done well together but maybe it is time for a change. If anything, Terry deserves the shirt above those two.

Good call from Venables yesterday as well- why not try Ledley King as a defensive mid?

Rusthall Seagull

Jul 16, 2003
Tunbridge wells

When he came back after his ban last season he was immense...just look at the way United played after he returned....

As far as Terry is conerned, he is a different type of centre back and 'yes' he should be playing (i never said he shouldn't..)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here