Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brand v Paxman

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
I can understand this point of view.

The thing is, if you, Brand or whoever are not going to come up with an alternative, then this "call for a revolution" sounds hollow and ridiculous. All this comes across as is "I do not agree with the options we currently have to vote for, but I cannot be bothered to come up with an alternative, so let's just smash it up".

Millions of people across the globe have died for the right to vote and he just cannot be bothered with it as he has no-one to vote for. So I say, find all these other people who agree with him, come up with that alternative, form a political party to run in the elections and get people to vote for you. If people are as disenfranchised as he says, his new party/movement, whatever he wants to call it, will win easily.

I take your point, and to some extent I agree, I AM too lazy to do anything about it, and quite frankly i'd rather bury my head in the sand, get a normal job, and live my life peacefully than get my hands dirty trying to change the world. I'm not telling anybody else not to vote (as Brand clearly is), i'm just expressing my personal opinion. In a way i think its quite good that somebody with Brand's wealth and fame has openly admitted their political stance, and is actively endorsing it, it is proactive individuals that change the world, not small fries like you or I.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
But by the laws of this country, and the parameters of this democratic structure, you have the right and ability to challenge that system, the right and ability to voice objections, the right to vote for someone who does fulfil by manifesto and conviction, your view of how the system should work. I think what you are really saying can be illustrated best by the 'its my ball, so I am taking it home' analogy.... if you cant have what you want, nobody can.... but that's just my view.

NB: A revolutionary action/reaction should surely be motivated by a conviction, and also have and objective and an achievable outcome,... not voting says nothing, achieves nothing and has in fact played into the hands of those who you wish to challenge.

See above reply, additionally, i think that Brand's point with not voting is not that it is the only form of protest one should make, but instead that you should do something else political with your time.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
I take your point, and to some extent I agree, I AM too lazy to do anything about it, and quite frankly i'd rather bury my head in the sand, get a normal job, and live my life peacefully than get my hands dirty trying to change the world. I'm not telling anybody else not to vote (as Brand clearly is), i'm just expressing my personal opinion. In a way i think its quite good that somebody with Brand's wealth and fame has openly admitted their political stance, and is actively endorsing it, it is proactive individuals that change the world, not small fries like you or I.

But he is not being proactive - he would be if he were starting a party/movement to do something about it. He is just coming across as a modern day Ben Elton - commenting on all that is crap but doing nothing to change it. As a politics student, you must be more aware than most of how important having a vote is - to choose to disenfranchise yourself is not the way forward.

It certainly IS proactive people who stick their necks out and change the world. Brand is not one of them at the moment.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
But he is not being proactive - he would be if he were starting a party/movement to do something about it. He is just coming across as a modern day Ben Elton - commenting on all that is crap but doing nothing to change it. As a politics student, you must be more aware than most of how important having a vote is - to choose to disenfranchise yourself is not the way forward.

It certainly IS proactive people who stick their necks out and change the world. Brand is not one of them at the moment.

I agree, it is important that people vote for a party IF they feel that party represents their interests, i'd be all for mandatory voting laws in this country, but what I'm saying is that people who choose 'none of the above' by spoiling their ballot aren't victimised or blasted for doing so. Quite obviously he isn't doing anything now, but spouting his views on newsnight might get people interested enough to do something, this video has already gone viral with people lauding Brand for what he is saying, if it motivates at least one person to stand up and have a go then I think he has done a good thing. Another thing is that in this country especially, and similarly in the US, your vote can matter very little depending on where you reside, the fact that every vote is not equal in this country makes the exercise somewhat redundant. Again I do agree that if he is going to say these things, he should do something about it, but as a 'celebrity' he almost has - he's put that message out there, articulated it very well, and may motivate people into actually doing something, however unlikely that may be.

The Truth

Banned
Sep 11, 2008
None of your buisness
The Truth has absolutely destroyed what should have been an interesting thread.

Isn't it weird when people post stuff like this? You're complaining about a Russell Brand thread getting destroyed by me? and this is your contribution?
Last time you posted to me on this thread, your first sentence was calling me a moron straight after my very first post! Now you're claiming this thread has been ruined by me and no one else IE badfish and pastafarian (youtube videos of unrelated material). Do you not think you might be joining the 'ridicule the truth brigade' when ever I post (Pastafarian, Nibble, Badfish)? It's easy to side with bigger numbers you know?

If not, any chance you could just get of my case and contribute something more constructive if it's bothering you this much? I promise I wont respond to you?

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I agree, it is important that people vote for a party IF they feel that party represents their interests, i'd be all for mandatory voting laws in this country, but what I'm saying is that people who choose 'none of the above' by spoiling their ballot aren't victimised or blasted for doing so. Quite obviously he isn't doing anything now, but spouting his views on newsnight might get people interested enough to do something, this video has already gone viral with people lauding Brand for what he is saying, if it motivates at least one person to stand up and have a go then I think he has done a good thing. Another thing is that in this country especially, and similarly in the US, your vote can matter very little depending on where you reside, the fact that every vote is not equal in this country makes the exercise somewhat redundant. Again I do agree that if he is going to say these things, he should do something about it, but as a 'celebrity' he almost has - he's put that message out there, articulated it very well, and may motivate people into actually doing something, however unlikely that may be.

Let's just hang on and see how vocal he is once his tour is over and hid X-mas DVD is sold.

smeg

Feb 11, 2013
BN13
I'm 47 years old and have never voted and I can completely get what Mr Brand was talking about. weirdly I've never really been a fan of his work, his over zealous approach to interviews and maniacal persona but this interview was compelling. I earn a good five figure salary, live in a large house and drive a nice car but i have no affinity with any political party. What can the larger parties offer us anymore, the class system has been stripped away now anyway, it docent matter if you are labour or conservative anymore, they want power and the old philosophical arguments are no longer valid. It does not matter who you vote for, the government always get in and their agenda is self-serving and taxation

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Brand works for one of the biggest cashcows there is, Hollywood and bags $ 5 m a film from it so he is just a hypocrit really. Clever with words but of no substance whatsoever.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
Brand works for one of the biggest cashcows there is, Hollywood and bags $ 5 m a film from it so he is just a hypocrit really. Clever with words but of no substance whatsoever.

So the fact he grew up working class but is now rich means his experience and views are invalid? k...

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
So the fact he grew up working class but is now rich means his experience and views are invalid? k...

No I just think it is a lot of hot air really. Sure he uses clever words and appears passionate but behind that there was no substance to it whatsoever.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009

What a lazy statement. Having a well paid job does not mean that you sacrifice the right to have an opinion. Attacking Brand is missing point, it should be his opinion that is up for debate. He makes an interesting argument and it raises a lot of interesting issues. Personally I disagree with him about not voting, as in my opinion it only strengthens the very people he rails against. Having said that he articulates his viewpoint well and it encourages debate which can be no bad thing.

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
He is initiating a debate, so obviously he has done something. I wish more people were questioning the political class, then someone might think of an alternative system.

He has put his head above the parapet so obviously he will be shot at, but I think he's brilliant

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
He is initiating a debate, so obviously he has done something. I wish more people were questioning the political class, then someone might think of an alternative system.

He has put his head above the parapet so obviously he will be shot at, but I think he's brilliant

Which is fine, but when asked what the revolution would look like, he could not answer and then went in with the classic knee up to chin defensive pose. Putting your head above the parapet is fine, but if he can come up with no alternative it just looks rather silly.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
Which is fine, but when asked what the revolution would look like, he could not answer and then went in with the classic knee up to chin defensive pose. Putting your head above the parapet is fine, but if he can come up with no alternative it just looks rather silly.

I don't agree that in order to question the norm you have to have a sound alternative framed up in your mind, otherwise debate would never happen. Questioning the system is the beginning, formulating an alternative comes with extensive debate and thought.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
I don't agree that in order to question the norm you have to have a sound alternative framed up in your mind, otherwise debate would never happen. Questioning the system is the beginning, formulating an alternative comes with extensive debate and thought.

True. But it is usually a good idea to have some sort of alternative forming as you are bound to be asked about it, as shown here. Particularly if you are starting up a political magazine (which I have not seen - is it serious or satirical?).

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I think you underestimate the time Brand puts into the issues that he's passionate about - over the last few years he's become a respected journalist, and he's not doing it for the fame & money.

He could easily be living it large on a beach house mansion in LA, but instead he is using his influence and skills as a writer and orator to create awareness about very important issues. The fact that British politics is taking him seriously is very important for British people - regardless of their political stances.

Trust me, British politics is NOT taking him seriously.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here