Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bradley Wiggins v Andy Murray

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Would a Murray victory in the US Open change anyone's voting for SPoTY.
They are would be pretty similar in major victories, a gold medal and an international title.

I know it's a fairly moot point as David Weir, will probably clean up.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
What's the actual point of SPotY, to celebrate sporting achievement or to celebrate personalities in sport? If it's the latter than Murray obviously doesn't deserve to even be considered. If it's the former, Wiggins takes it by a mile.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
It's 'personality' of the year-Murray is automatically disqualified.

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
wiggins is evens, weir 37/1 so i doubt he'll clean up

would be a bit of a travesty if he won tbh

A travesty? Hardly - which other elite athletes could pocket FOUR gold medals in distances ranging from 800m to 26 miles? Incredible achievement.

That said, it's a mind-boggling year for British sporting success - in most other years Wiggo would clean up. Or Murray. Or Ellie Simmonds. Or Mo. Or Jess Ennis. And so on ...

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
It's a shit competition anyway, I never bother watching and won't start now. It should be sportsperson of the year, as that's what people are voting for.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It's a shit competition anyway, I never bother watching and won't start now. It should be sportsperson of the year, as that's what people are voting for.

Who cares it's totally pointless.
Come deepest darkest December this years edition should be superb, and will make pretty much all others look pointless.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Come deepest darkest December this years edition should be superb, and will make pretty much all others look pointless.
There is the small matter that this year we have a lot of great sportsmen to celebrate. The title, voting and cringe worthy speeches will still be shit though.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
It's 'personality' of the year-Murray is automatically disqualified.

Agreed. Just heard his post match press conference. He should have have had subtitles. Tomas Berdych was easier to understand and a lot more outgoing.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Would a Murray victory in the US Open change anyone's voting for SPoTY.
They are would be pretty similar in major victories, a gold medal and an international title.

I know it's a fairly moot point as David Weir, will probably clean up.

Doubt it'll be any of those actually. Olympians Jessica or Mo far more likely. Seems to be the nations/advertisers/chat shows sweethearts.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I'm surprised Murray is even mentioned given the year many have had. He lost at Wimbledon, won a fairly meaningless gold medal in an event that holds little value (see footballl as well), lost the Mixed Doubles final.

If he wins the US Open, he could sneak in to the reckoning, but how on earth could his year possibly compare against Wiggins, Hoy, Farrah, Ennis, Trott, Weir or even Rory Mcilroy?

Of course fortunately for Andy personality doesn't come into it.......... even Nigel Mansell won previously.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here