Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bradford Fire Anniversary

shoreham moonraker

Apr 11, 2009
I grew up just outside Hungerford, was 15 at the time of the shootings, Micheal Ryan and his family went to my primary school, it still hangs in the air in that town to this very day.

RIP Bradford 56, as previously stated like Hillsborough we have all been in crushes/old stands, there for the grace of god.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Wizo, well done for wanting to learn. if you go back further, history is littered with disasters and there were more deaths at bolton's old ground, Burnden Park, yet the game carried on.

back then it was just a case of packing 'em in. Even looking back to the big crowds of the 70's & 80's, a crowded terrace could be a scary place if you were to fall.

northstandnorth

THE GOLDSTONE
Oct 13, 2003
A272 at 85 mph
I've just finished reading Hillsborough The Truth. It is stated in in that the oldest newspaper found in the ashes after the Bradford fire was 1968. Bradford was an example of the corporate laziness and corporate lack of concern for the safety of the supporter and certainly a tradgedy.

Might I also suggest that when everybody insists on standing at games all the above contributed to why we have seats.

as i and others have stated

this stand had seating at the back and standing at the front with a low dividing wall in between.
those STANDING got out safely onto the pitch,those that died were people in the SEATS who,because of the wall, went to the ground exits at the back of the stand and became trapped.

standing at this game made escape easier.we at the goldstone escaped a similar tragedy because OUR south stand(of the same basic design and constructed of the same highly flammable materials)took longer to go up and only burnt down overnight rather than during the game.

about the same time i went to a Spurs v Everton game,In a large stand running down the length of the pitch. i stood on the Shelf, a much larger structure with standing and seats and remember clearly that it the way in and out resembled being inside a GIANT wooden helter skelter with masses of old dried wood.
stands in those days in so many grounds ,standing or seating were giant bonfires waiting for a chance to go up.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here