Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Boycotting Franchise FC

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow
that last line is possible the most idiotic comment i've read on here and i've just been joining in with that 'Palace' thread

This one:

Judging by the fact that my ticket numbers were 2597 and 2598 and I purchasesd them on Sunday seems plenty of people agree with me.

Why? Okay, so maybe I should have been more specific in saying that enough other people either think like me, or just want to watch the Albion. IF so then point taken.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
that's probably why i've forgiven Archer and Bellotti

i presume then that you are still campaigning against archer and bellotti all this time on? theres a difference between forgiving and excepting what has happened and that ten years on nothing can change that

archer and belotti tried to run a club out of business. the wimbledon board moved them to a new city in order to make them more sustainable than competing with the plethora of other clubs in london which meant that they always struggled financially and didn't have their own stadium. slightly different

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
If Wimbledon hadn't moved they'd have gone bust, all you holier than thou critics of the sustainable move to Milton Keynes might feel a bit differently if it was your money being pissed into the wind. No I KNOW you'd have felt differently.

The MK Dons situation bears very little similarity to the Albion one with Archer an Bellotti

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
i presume then that you are still campaigning against archer and bellotti all this time on? theres a difference between forgiving and excepting what has happened and that ten years on nothing can change that

archer and belotti tried to run a club out of business. the wimbledon board moved them to a new city in order to make them more sustainable than competing with the plethora of other clubs in london which meant that they always struggled financially and didn't have their own stadium. slightly different

Exactly. Maybe we should march on Archer's house again? Or boycott tonight's game against Plymouth? Lets get the game abandoned.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
And all those saying they couldn't possibly bear to condone their existence by going to the game, what would you do if we got them in the Cup Final? Not go? Of course you would.
Correct, of course I would go. But I wouldn't be putting my money into MK Dons would I? I'm not refusing to LOOK at them, I've seen them play at Withdean on several occasions.
I know in the grand scheme of things it doesn't change anything but I would still prefer not to put my money into their coffers, it's as simple as that really. I know plenty, most, other people will and I don't have a problem, that is their choice.

eastworthingseagull

Feb 22, 2011
This is absolutely nothing to do with Wimbledon... it's about MK DONS they had a non league club called MK City .... it folded through lack of interest .....

So they hijacked another clubs league status and bypassed the football pyramid when attaining league status

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
The point is that it happenend and it happened a long time ago. Now, as unpallatable as it may have been to some at the time, haven't the rules been changed so that it won't happen again? That being the case surely it is a case of getting over it. AFC Wimbledon may one day get into the football league and if they do, where are they going to build their 20k stadium to sustain them and any future progress? It's a story for the romantics but hardly in touch with reality.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
This is absolutely nothing to do with Wimbledon... it's about MK DONS they had a non league club called MK City .... it folded through lack of interest .....

So they hijacked another clubs league status and bypassed the football pyramid when attaining league status

It has everything to do with Wimbedon, it was them that moved there and their directors who made the no doubt hard choice to relocate and not lose all their money rather than just just meekly fold when they had zero chance of building a ground in Wimbledon. Can you really blame them and hold it against them?

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
The point is that it happenend and it happened a long time ago. Now, as unpallatable as it may have been to some at the time, haven't the rules been changed so that it won't happen again?

unfortunately, rules were made to be broken as it looks like west ham are going to do by moving onto orients manor

totally agree with the rest of what you say

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003

i presume then that by this token you also would boycott afc wimbledon for moving in and taking over the ground of a previously successful non-league side in kingstonian, thus possibly depriving the people of kingston upton thames the chance to have a league football team?

not forgetting of course that our moving into withdean caused the end of withdean 2000

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
It has everything to do with Wimbedon, it was them that moved there and their directors made a hard choice to relocate and not lose all their money or just meekly fold. Can you really blame them and hold it against them?
You do know this is bullshit, Winkleman and co took over with the intent of moving the club to Milton Keynes, that is fairly well documented. Nothing to do with losing money, Wimbledon's poor finances just made them easy meat for predators like Winkleman.

I've got to say that I never thought I'd see the words "I Like Pete Winkleman" posted on here. :lol:
Even MK Dons fans don't like him. I'd be surprised if his MUM even likes him.

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
Not all this rubbish again for christ sake. MK Dons are fine by me why everyone has it in for them i have no idea. Wimbledon were dead long before all the franchise business and to say you'd boycott watching teh albion because of this - rubbish

You go and enjoy it Goring, old boy, and respect the opinions of those of us who'll never go there, eh, as I respect your choice to go? I suspect some people's feelings may be different if it had been our club moved up there.

They're an abortion, a malformed, mewling clone of a football club which should never have been allowed to happen and stands as an ongoing threat of a repeat all the time it's just accepted with a shrug by fans of other clubs.

So, no, in short. I won't be going.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Correct, of course I would go. But I wouldn't be putting my money into MK Dons would I? I'm not refusing to LOOK at them, I've seen them play at Withdean on several occasions.
I know in the grand scheme of things it doesn't change anything but I would still prefer not to put my money into their coffers, it's as simple as that really. I know plenty, most, other people will and I don't have a problem, that is their choice.

OK, what if we got them away on the last day of the season and we needed a win to win the Championship?

We know what happened, none of us agree with it, but it happened, there is nothing you can do about it now so you might as well go and support your team. If it was a case of them having a trial season in the league to see if they could get big enough crowds or not and if not they would fold, then I would boycott. But to boycott now is completely and utterly pointless.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
thank christ we got planning permission for falmer and didnt have to go for a mike bamber style idea of moving to a stadium at gatwick - we'd have a hell of a lot of our fans boycotting it by the sounds of things

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
You do know this is bullshit, Winkleman and co took over with the intent of moving the club to Milton Keynes, that is fairly well documented. Nothing to do with losing money, Wimbledon's poor finances just made them easy meat for predators like Winkleman.

I've got to say that I never thought I'd see the words "I Like Pete Winkleman" posted on here. :lol:
Even MK Dons fans don't like him. I'd be surprised if his MUM even likes him.

Winkleman didn't invest until the club had gone into administration and were already in Milton Keynes. Weren't there Norwegians who were losing money hand over fist before Winkleman offered them a way out by moving to Milton Keynes? One of us is re-writing history here, or are you suggesting Wimbledon were not already financially f***ed when Winkleman turned up?

As it happens the move doesn't seem to have helped the Norwegians, but I understand why they'd do all they could to protect themselves once it was clear Merton weren't going to help in any way.

Last edited:

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
The football pyramid is exactly that and if you ignore what happened At Milton Keynes ......

YOU CONDONE IT

That's a bit like saying if you visit Germany nowadays you are condoning what the Nazi's did.

As others have said, it's a meaningless boycott as it doesn't actually affect anyone or anything.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I've not read all of this but whilst I do not agree with what happened with Wimbledon the FL/FA or whoever have said it was a mistake and will not happen again. So, protest is a bit futile. But, I can fully undertand someone not wanting to go. There you go.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
One thing I will say is that MK Dons had one of the coolest sponsors in Marshall Amplification.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here