Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

boxing day home games at the Amex

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
I don't believe that for a second, and how many people are going to walk half an hour in the middle of winter ?
Plenty if it saves them a few bob in this ever gloomier economic crisis.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
There are lots of Albion supporters in Moulsecoomb, Coldean, Bevendean and Hollingdean - all within 30 minutes walk of the ground.

I don't know how we'd prove it but I bet more people will walk to games than come by train.

I'm in Woodingdean and i will be walking along with others from Ovendean and Rottingdean.

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
No wind up, I have no interest in trains, don't use them, have no need to use them so they hold no interest for me.
As far as the Amex goes, they can only accommodate less than 10% of the total gate,
So on boxing day only 10% of of those going to the game will inconvenienced, so as travel medium for games they are insignificant.

That is complete bollocks. Are you seriously saying 90% of people are going to drive (with nowhere to park) or walk from central Brighton? When there's train station next door to the stadium?

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Christ on a BIKE.

What is the WORST that would happen out of this? You go by train to one game, you find out it takes you an hour and a half to get away, you decide not to go by train again. It's only an hour and a half out of your whole life. It's not the end of the world.

Secondly: if we do have a Boxing Day home game, well it's now MARCH. You have NINE MONTHS to formulate a plan to get you to the stadium. If you start thinking about it now, hopefully you'll have come up with some kind of crazy solution, like, I don't know, driving or getting the bus, or walking, by Christmas. Good luck with your planning, chaps, I'm crossing all my fingers for you all.

Jan 30, 2008
Wtf? 90% of the football grounds in England have no trains on boxing day. In fact Victoria-Brighton is one of about only eight lines in the UK that runs that day. Everyone else manages to get bums on seats, what you fretting over?
you plank ! charltons in a central location for most of your lot , you still poncing fans from sussex :wanker:

Jan 30, 2008
Christ on a BIKE.

What is the WORST that would happen out of this? You go by train to one game, you find out it takes you an hour and a half to get away, you decide not to go by train again. It's only an hour and a half out of your whole life. It's not the end of the world.

Secondly: if we do have a Boxing Day home game, well it's now MARCH. You have NINE MONTHS to formulate a plan to get you to the stadium. If you start thinking about it now, hopefully you'll have come up with some kind of crazy solution, like, I don't know, driving or getting the bus, or walking, by Christmas. Good luck with your planning, chaps, I'm crossing all my fingers for you all.
it must be a head ache sitting in that Police van with your fingers crossed:rolleyes:

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
it must be a head ache sitting in that Police van with your fingers crossed:rolleyes:

Are you seriously telling me this issue is worrying you though? Really?

Jan 30, 2008
Are you seriously telling me this issue is worrying you though? Really?
no i'm not worried but i thought it was a topic for discussion, how people can dismiss this when there hasn't been a trial run at the stadium i find a bit strange but hey ho just my view on it

fataddick

Feb 6, 2004
The seaside.
you plank ! charltons in a central location for most of your lot , you still poncing fans from sussex :wanker:

We still run subsidised coaches to home games from Worthing, Brighton, Eastbourne, etc, yes. Why, are you thinking of catching one to watch us instead on Boxing Day, because of how impossible traversing the seven miles from Brighton to Falmer without a train is?

Jan 30, 2008
We still run subsidised coaches to home games from Worthing, Brighton, Eastbourne, etc, yes. Why, are you thinking of catching one to watch us instead on Boxing Day, because of how impossible traversing the seven miles from Brighton to Falmer without a train is?

yeah we all live in brighton :hammer:

fataddick

Feb 6, 2004
The seaside.
yeah we all live in brighton :hammer:

We do them from Crawley, Lancing, Bexhill, Battle and Ore too. Whereabouts are you, I'll find out your closest pick-up point.

If you haven't bothered reading the rest of the thread, it's the Brighton-Falmer bit specifically that people are talking about in terms of capacity when there's no trains, do keep up.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
We still run subsidised coaches to home games from Worthing, Brighton, Eastbourne, etc, yes.

And THIS, ladies and gents, is why I HATE Charlton. Do NOT give me all that fans utd rubbish. Oh they all turned out that day blah blah BLAH.

When we were shit and Charlton were in the prem they took full advantage. This also extended to Kent, which also got Scally angry (not a bad thing but MORALLY dubious).

That and getting £5m for Rob Lee and bidding a derisory £50k for John Robinson knowing at the time tribunals favoured buying clubs. And by god did we NEED the money then. They f***ing knew it as well.

Thank GOD they are doing shit now. PAYBACK.

Long, LONG may they be in the third tier.

Last edited:

Jan 30, 2008
We do them from Crawley, Lancing, Bexhill, Battle and Ore too. Whereabouts are you, I'll find out your closest pick-up point.

If you haven't bothered reading the rest of the thread, it's the Brighton-Falmer bit specifically that people are talking about in terms of capacity when there's no trains, do keep up.
desperate times for a desperate club ............... things can only get better:lol:

fataddick

Feb 6, 2004
The seaside.
When we were shit and Charlton were in the prem they took full advantage. This also extended to Kent, which also got Scally angry (not a bad thing but MORALLY dubious).

Which came first, the fans or the coaches? The club didn't just stick a pin a map and say "let's run a coach from this town here and see if anyone gets on it", they ran them from places they knew from their database a lot of Charlton season ticket holders lived. We had just shy of a thousand ST holders in Sussex BEFORE the coaches started running, people didn't just suddenly switch allegiances 'cause there was a coach. Ffs, what sort of football supporter would be so shallow?

Secondly, a big reason the club started running coaches is that our supporters club had self-destructed, local groups defected from the main one, the main one shut down amongst in-fighting, and there was no-one left to coordinate stuff and run coaches to the Valley from outlying areas. The club took over this role. For example, a bus running from Worthing/Brighton to Charlton has been going ever since we moved back to the Valley in '92. The only change was instead of being run by our Brighton & West Sussex supporters club branch, it was now being run by the club.

Thirdly, even at the height of our time in the Premier League, we ran a grand total of three coaches from Sussex (one starting from Worthing, one from Eastbourne, one from Hastings). Three 45-seater coaches that also picked up in Surrey or Kent on the way, so the absolute maximum of fans from Sussex that could have got these coaches to the Valley is about 100 in total, I expect it was a fair bit less. Boo hoo.

The way you lot blather on about it, it sounds like we were busing a whole fleet of coaches into every Sussex town, grabbing Albion fans off the street, glueing red scarves to their necks and ferrying them like prisoners to SE7. Behave. And if you don't like it, well, we're stuck in the third (or fourth) division playing shit football for the foreseeable future, you've got a fancy new stadium to fill. If you want to start running coaches from Greenwich, Charlton, Sidcup etc to Falmer, be my guest. Any Charlton 'fan' so fickle as to shift allegiances on that basis I'll be glad to see the f***ing back of.

And THIS, ladies and gents, is why I HATE Charlton. Do NOT give me all that fans utd rubbish. Oh they all turned out that day blah blah BLAH.

Hmmm. I agree with here but it does seem to form part of a transport plan for getting people to/from the Valley and this is more than our Stadium Project Team have come up with to date. Having to bring in transport consultants at this late stage in order to advise on meeting the requirements of the planning consent and undertaking transport "surveys" at ST presentations indicates to me that this could be a cock-up. Notwithstanding the limited train capacity on the Brighton-Lewes line, how is the Mill Road P&R (it's full every game now) going to cope with x3 the number of away fans as well all the additional Brighton supporters from West Sussex and Surrey where for many, as now, public transport will not be a viable proposition.

Jan 30, 2008
Hmmm. I agree with here but it does seem to form part of a transport plan for getting people to/from the Valley and this is more than our Stadium Project Team have come up with to date. Having to bring in transport consultants at this late stage in order to advise on meeting the requirements of the planning consent and undertaking transport "surveys" at ST presentations indicates to me that this could be a cock-up. Notwithstanding the limited train capacity on the Brighton-Lewes line, how is the Mill Road P&R (it's full every game now) going to cope with x3 the number of away fans as well all the additional Brighton supporters from West Sussex and Surrey where for many, as now, public transport will not be a viable proposition.
fair comment .

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here