Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

boxing day home games at the Amex

The clubs survey has resulted in the figure of 6000 only going by train when there is a full house, and that those volumes can be cleared from the site in 47 mins from the final whistle,...... if they say it, it must be true.
I know we've had this discussion before, but the capacity of the line between Lewes and Brighton is such that it would take at least 2-3 hours to get 6,000 people away from Falmer station by train (and that's assuming that half of the people travel via Lewes).

It won't happen.

Tummy Burger

Aug 1, 2003
Haywards Heath
Boxing day aside, ( Yes I am sure people will be able to make other arrangements ). Are these figures for fans travelling by train correct ?. If so I am not sure who the club surveyed, because I for one cannot see how they can be particularly accurate. If we are in the championship, I would suggest most clubs within a radius of say the midlands will likely take their full allocation of 2200, and away fans more likely travel by train from those distances. So for the sake of argument that's 1500 on the train. That would leave 4500 Brighton fans out of say 18 - 20k, travelling by train. ??? To a ground which now has bars in it, where we are encouraged to stay and spend our money on fine ale. Well sod that... I for one will be on the train and I would imagine there are many feeling the same.

Following on from this that would mean 15,000 are going by Car / Bus / Park and ride. Not too many people are within walking distance. Ok some will go by bus. I was under the impression there was little or no parking???. I know a fair few go for the park and ride option but not THAT many.

Sod it. Time for our own SURVEY

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I know we've had this discussion before, but the capacity of the line between Lewes and Brighton is such that it would take at least 2-3 hours to get 6,000 people away from Falmer station by train (and that's assuming that half of the people travel via Lewes).

It won't happen.

Boxing day aside, ( Yes I am sure people will be able to make other arrangements ). Are these figures for fans travelling by train correct ?. If so I am not sure who the club surveyed, because I for one cannot see how they can be particularly accurate. If we are in the championship, I would suggest most clubs within a radius of say the midlands will likely take their full allocation of 2200, and away fans more likely travel by train from those distances. So for the sake of argument that's 1500 on the train. That would leave 4500 Brighton fans out of say 18 - 20k, travelling by train. ??? To a ground which now has bars in it, where we are encouraged to stay and spend our money on fine ale. Well sod that... I for one will be on the train and I would imagine there are many feeling the same.

Following on from this that would mean 15,000 are going by Car / Bus / Park and ride. Not too many people are within walking distance. Ok some will go by bus. I was under the impression there was little or no parking???. I know a fair few go for the park and ride option but not THAT many.

Sod it. Time for our own SURVEY

It's like banging your head angainst a brick wall isn't it Lord B? The train just isn't feasible folks.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I would guess that all surveys on this issue are inherently flawed as a significant percentage (maybe 25-30 per cent) are going to see for themselves what is easiest/least of a nightmare over the first few games and then opt for that. So anything polled a while back is only the very roughest of indicators.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
What sort of aftershave is everyone going to be wearing. I bet Buzzer comes up with something nice.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I would guess that all surveys on this issue are inherently flawed as a significant percentage (maybe 25-30 per cent) are going to see for themselves what is easiest/least of a nightmare over the first few games and then opt for that. So anything polled a while back is only the very roughest of indicators.
Absolutely right. We have, quite understandably, revisited this subject a lot in the last year or so and there are just too many factors for people to say definitively what will or won't work. I've got rough travel plans but they depend on what the buses are like and more importantly how the travel voucher will work.

willingdon_seagull

Mar 5, 2008
Wtf? 90% of the football grounds in England have no trains on boxing day. In fact Victoria-Brighton is one of about only eight lines in the UK that runs that day. Everyone else manages to get bums on seats, what you fretting over?

This! Ridiculous panic about nothing! How do they manage at Old Trafford or St James Park on a boxing day without trains where they have to clear 75k and 55k afterwards??

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Not too many people are within walking distance.

There are lots of Albion supporters in Moulsecoomb, Coldean, Bevendean and Hollingdean - all within 30 minutes walk of the ground.

I don't know how we'd prove it but I bet more people will walk to games than come by train.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset

It won't happen.

The operations manager indicated, in a post presentation chat the other week, that there was several trains extra, turning back at Lewes that will support the projections indicated in the survey.

The operations manager indicated, in a post presentation chat the other week, that there was several trains extra, turning back at Lewes that will support the projections indicated in the survey.
I've allowed for that in my estimate of 2-3 hours to clear 6,000 passengers from Falmer station.

I thought that the main problem was the capciry of trains thgat the junction at Lewes could accomodate safely.

And as I said before, its n ot as tho we haven't faced this situation before

willingdon_seagull

Mar 5, 2008
Er, they have unlimited street parking all round them and endless transport links.

Maybe United do have endless transport but having lived in Newcastle for 5 years they certainly don't, on boxing day anyway! Nor do they have unlimited street parking within the city centre!
Falmer on boxing day will be like the above, walk, bus or park and ride! Happy days!

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Maybe United do have endless transport but having lived in Newcastle for 5 years they certainly don't, on boxing day anyway! Nor do they have unlimited street parking within the city centre!
Falmer on boxing day will be like the above, walk, bus or park and ride! Happy days!

But being in the City Centre means St James Park is within walking distance of EVERY bus route in the city and it is also walkable from at least half of the city itself.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
There are lots of Albion supporters in Moulsecoomb, Coldean, Bevendean and Hollingdean - all within 30 minutes walk of the ground.

I don't know how we'd prove it but I bet more people will walk to games than come by train.

I don't believe that for a second, and how many people are going to walk half an hour in the middle of winter ?

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
I've allowed for that in my estimate of 2-3 hours to clear 6,000 passengers from Falmer station.
I have no reason to doubt you LB,.. you being the Oracle on most things Albion related, and you being local too,.. but he was very dismissive of the scare stories circulating on NSC about transport issues, he said "do you think the club has not been talking to all interested parties about this after all the pain and cost of this development",....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here