Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Bournemouth Beach - Major Incident Declared

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Why do people assume that catching this virus means you become immune to it? Are you immune from the flu, the common cold? Sure you get a little bit of residual immunity for a few months but that's it.

Because it's one virus, whereas they are multiple viruses.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Why on earth, with or without coronavirus, would anyone want to be on this beach? I just don’t get it.

169db313f343ebe104c1c1054a4c2eb8.png

This. Hell is other people on a packed beach, either here or abroad

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Wrong, there are 3 strains of Rhinovirus causing the common cold and 3 of Influenza virus that affect humans. There are already 2 strains of Covid-19.

Where are you getting this info from? There are several hundred types of cold, including numerous rhinoviruses and some coronaviruses.

There are numerous strains of flu, with three or four most common ones each year - which are selected for the vaccination. The WHO recommends which strains to protect against each year: https://www.who.int/influenza/vaccines/virus/recommendations/en/

Meanwhile, "coronavirus", the one we're talking about, is SARS-CoV-2, by definition one strain. There will be genetic variation in this, but *probably* not a great deal as it hasn't been around long enough to mutate that much. Unlike the rhinoviruses which have been around for thousands of years.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Why on earth, with or without coronavirus, would anyone want to be on this beach? I just don’t get it.

169db313f343ebe104c1c1054a4c2eb8.png

Photos like that tell you nothing. A huge distance foreshortened using a high quality lens. Papers could easily get an overhead drone shot, but they don’t because they’d rather create controversy than communicate what is objectively occurring.

So your question isn’t why would anyone want to be on this beach, it’s why use a useless photo of this beach?

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Photos like that tell you nothing. A huge distance foreshortened using a high quality lens. Papers could easily get an overhead drone shot, but they don’t because they’d rather create controversy than communicate what is objectively occurring.

So your question isn’t why would anyone want to be on this beach, it’s why use a useless photo of this beach?

No. It's a crowded beach. One of the least desirable locations known to mankind.

Unless, by the miracle of modern lenses the beach holds about 30 people in total, then it's crowded.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I've lived in Shoreham 45 years and have never seen the beach as busy as yesterday. A vast majority of people on the beach are not local. Easy to tell as most don't know which way the water or town is. Very few actually there to swim or even paddle, most just frying themselves alive.

It was quite possible to socially distance but christ, not pleasant.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
I've lived in Shoreham 45 years and have never seen the beach as busy as yesterday. A vast majority of people on the beach are not local. Easy to tell as most don't know which way the water or town is. Very few actually there to swim or even paddle, most just frying themselves alive.

I live in Shoreham and a family asked me in the high street yesterday how far it was to Bournemouth? I'm not kidding. They were carrying more beach gear than I've ever seen. I just said get back on the train and travel 90 miles west - have fun!

Maybe we just have to accept with this type of behaviour we are quite possibly going to head for a second lockdown. Be a nightmare for all those smaller businesses just starting to re-open if they have to shut up shop again if a second wave comes and we go back into lockdown.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Very few actually there to swim or even paddle, most just frying themselves alive.

This is what I don't get. If you're going to a beach to swim, fine. But why go to a beach to do this, when there are perfectly good parks / gardens which can do just as good a job?

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
If they are socially distancing what's the issue. A lot of those people might have been stuck in a studio flat for the last 3 months.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

This.......the wailing on social media I've seen yesterday and today over 'selfish morons spreading the virus' is ridiculous. We've seen no spike at all from VE Day, hot May Bank holidays, BLM marches or anything else and I sincerely doubt this will be any different - whilst it's crowded, I doubt most households are within 1m of the next, there seems to be little or no risk of the virus spreading outside, and it doesn't thrive in the heat. Far more of a problem is the colossal amounts of crap the selfish :wanker:s leave on the beach for others to clean up and the pisspoor parking, blocking locals in etc.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
This.......the wailing on social media I've seen yesterday and today over 'selfish morons spreading the virus' is ridiculous. We've seen no spike at all from VE Day, hot May Bank holidays, BLM marches or anything else and I sincerely doubt this will be any different - whilst it's crowded, I doubt most households are within 1m of the next, there seems to be little or no risk of the virus spreading outside, and it doesn't thrive in the heat. Far more of a problem is the colossal amounts of crap the selfish :wanker:s leave on the beach for others to clean up and the pisspoor parking, blocking locals in etc.

But what if you have the local MP saying it?

''This place was deluged and social distancing went out the window and that’s why a major incident was declared, because the local authority and indeed the police couldn’t cope.

The beach should have been closed down, or at least shut down to prevent further people from entering it.

We need to learn from this and recognise that if we’re going to be serious about tackling this pandemic then we need to be swifter in being able to provide support to local authorities who are unable to cope.''

''Don’t forget on July 4 we’re going to add alcohol to this equation as well, and I would hate to see Bournemouth or any seaside resort become that place where the second spike is the first to appear.

That can only be avoided if local authorities are given the necessary and swift support.

That means in an emergency being able to respond to requests for help, that didn’t happen yesterday.''

Apologies if I'm being a 'political prick' or something.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
"Stay Home. Protect the NHS. Save Lives." seemed to work.

And that was where it all started going wrong. That was a strong, clear message - particularly "Protect the NHS". Why Boris decided to change the message to something so weak and wishy-washy is beyond me. "PROTECT THE NHS" really hit home and was responsible for me not doing something silly more than once.

AlbionBro

Jun 6, 2020
But I'm guessing it wasn't the young that were all driving their kids down to Bournemouth beach today! That said, the teenagers around here, in the main, couldn't give a damn about distancing.

I do apologise, I call under 40 as young.

I really dont want to pin this on any group of society, but first we had those young protester running roughshod, through the cites and parks. Then we have the young beach and football fan grouping up.
I think the country could be in trouble for sometime, seems a very selfish thing to do.

Fingers crossed they know more about the science than I do.

Stay safe.

AlbionBro

Jun 6, 2020
If my weekly shopping trips are anything to go by it’s the complete opposite. The older you are the less you give a shit when shopping.

It’s been nearly two weeks since all the demo’s and we’ve seen buggerall increases on rate of infections.

On a call today with Germans, Italians and a Spaniard. General consensus in these countries is that the virus is still there but very much weaker than six weeks ago.
According the German chap the outbreak in the abattoir was detected when a couple of people showed minor symptoms. Germans being German decided to test the rest of the factory and low and behold loads of asymptomatic cases.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sorry, but I find your tone astonishing, that you feel there isn't going to be a second wave, are you one of those young ill-informed scallywags who are prepared to endanger the finances and health of people in this country?

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
No. It's a crowded beach. One of the least desirable locations known to mankind.

Unless, by the miracle of modern lenses the beach holds about 30 people in total, then it's crowded.

Indeed.
While I agree that the use of low ange and long distance lens means it tells us little in terms of coronavirus risk, it does tell me that I'd not want to be on that beach. Sitting on sand (the devil's substrate) in the hot sun surrounded by other hot, sweaty, drunk, irritable, families? All needing the toilet? Nah.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex

This.

It seems like a large number of the country have convinced themselves there will be second wave. Where is it then? Oh yes, in a meat packing plant in Germany. It almost feels like people want this to happen just to prove their point.

Don't get me wrong, I don't agree with it, and I really don't understand the beach mentality. But there has been no panicky stuff in the media about cases picking up. And the much vaunted R number seems to have been forgotten about in the press.

Saltydog

Aug 29, 2011
Ocean Wave

Regardless whether was 30, 300, or 300,000 these selfish classless chavs leave so much slime in their wake creating problems for other to sort. Not sure what the answer is to this as clearly these people have no shame.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
I do apologise, I call under 40 as young.

I really dont want to pin this on any group of society, but first we had those young protester running roughshod, through the cites and parks. Then we have the young beach and football fan grouping up.
I think the country could be in trouble for sometime, seems a very selfish thing to do.

Fingers crossed they know more about the science than I do.

Stay safe.

But what do you actually know? What has been reported?

This is undoubtedly a very nasty virus, but you can chuck stats about to prove any point you would like to make....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here