Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Bournemouth Beach - Major Incident Declared

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
As an aside, I am currently on a bus in Brighton. Masks are “mandatory” according to the government website; I am literally the only person wearing one. As many mistakes as the government have made, I can’t help but think if there is a second wave then the public will have a lot to answer to.

Depressing isn’t it? I’ve been on a bus twice recently with my wife and we were the only ones wearing masks. My son who uses the trains says it’s similar.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
As an aside, I am currently on a bus in Brighton. Masks are “mandatory” according to the government website; I am literally the only person wearing one. As many mistakes as the government have made, I can’t help but think if there is a second wave then the public will have a lot to answer to.

Department of Transport......" From 15 June it is the law that you must wear a face covering, when travelling in England, on a bus or coach ( plus other forms of transport ) If you do not wear a face covering, you will be breaking the law and could be fined £100 ( or £50 if paid in 14 days ) "

All pretty clear....well you would have thought so....until you dig a bit deeper and find out that Bus Operators have been given discretion on how they enforce this requirement. Operators contacted the Government and expressed their concern that their drivers could be involved in potential situations of conflict. They said they didn't want to be ' policemen ' So the responsibility was taken away from Bus Operators and handed to the police. A number of companies are now adopting an..' engage, explain, encourage ' strategy. I.e you are not wearing a mask, please try and wear one in the future...and don't let the police see you.

So it is law but its down to the poor bloody police to enforce it. You couldn't make it up, could you?

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
That’s precisely what the government want, “not our fault guv, you clearly didn’t stay alert when we threw open the doors” - unfortunately the British public have once again proved themselves to be idiots. Can’t wait for the pubs to open!

Snooty I now, but I know where a friend was coming from when they said we need the pubs to open again...to keep the idiots off the streets, beaches etc!

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
I read earlier that it took 6 Council workers 5 hours to clear the rubbish between the piers in Brighton this morning

The upside of Covid is that everyone will realise how we can change our destructive ways to protect the environment for our future, they said.... :shootself

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I really don't think the opening of beaches in Florida has much to do with the spike in infections in the state - it's somewhere I follow closely, daily, as we holiday there a lot and have another trip booked for October.

The primary reason for my thinking is that the virus doesn't spread easily outdoors, thankfully. Beyond that Florida has about a zillion miles of beach so, in the main, there is no need for people to be densely packed.

I think the main reason for Florida's spike, and that being seen in many other states currently, is the re-opening of almost every kind of indoor venue combined with some astounding ****wittery by many, many people. The story where a group of 16 friends all went out for their first post-lockdown drinks together and every single one of them got infected that same night perfectly illustrates that.

Although headline grabbing today, I also don’t think that the hordes at Camber and Bmuff will be a negative covid game-changer. A low angle photo-shot makes it all appear like packed sardines, but sun worshippers would not have been cm’s away from strangers.

Indoor space including mass transport will be key.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales

Trouble is the mask won’t protect you just the others so I’d take the car next time if I were you.

Louis MacNeice

Dec 7, 2015
Wtf is the bus driver doing then? It should be no mask, don't get on and if you do then we won't be moving.

What is the bus driver meant to do if someone just swipes their phone/travel card and gets on maskless? Do they get out of the cab and physically remove the person? Do they announce that the bus won't be moving until the person gets off? Do they announce that they have called the police to remove the person?

I travel to and from work by bus and at the moment only about 50% of passengers are wearing any face covering so whatever the driver is supposed to do then they will be doing it a lot. Also I have been a bus driver, have intervened to stop a fight and called the police to remove passengers; so I do have a little insight as to how this might play out.

The best option in my opinion is much much stronger messaging (on buses, at bus stops and in the media) on why masks should be worn and on the consequences for non compliance (no travel and possible fines).

Cheers - Louis MacNeice

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Although headline grabbing today, I also don’t think that the hordes at Camber and Bmuff will be a negative covid game-changer. A low angle photo-shot makes it all appear like packed sardines, but sun worshippers would not have been cm’s away from strangers.

Oh I very much agree.

Even on a busy beach you’re unlikely to be spending too much time within 2 metres of people outside your household, and even less when sharing the same air, so to speak.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017

Agreed. It definitely won't spread well on the coast with the fresh sea air and breeze. The beaches were very busy back around Easter when we had the heat wave then and numbers were much higher, so I can't see it making much difference, if at all, but we'll see...

Pinkie Brown

Wir Sind das Volk
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR 🇩🇪
I really don't think the opening of beaches in Florida has much to do with the spike in infections in the state - it's somewhere I follow closely, daily, as we holiday there a lot and have another trip booked for October.

The primary reason for my thinking is that the virus doesn't spread easily outdoors, thankfully. Beyond that Florida has about a zillion miles of beach so, in the main, there is no need for people to be densely packed.

I think the main reason for Florida's spike, and that being seen in many other states currently, is the re-opening of almost every kind of indoor venue combined with some astounding ****wittery by many, many people. The story where a group of 16 friends all went out for their first post-lockdown drinks together and every single one of them got infected that same night perfectly illustrates that.

It's hard to understand why there has been a spike in FL when the local politicians appear so level headed. :rolleyes:

https://www.facebook.com/Munir56/videos/3029286503831531/

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
Why on earth, with or without coronavirus, would anyone want to be on this beach? I just don’t get it.

169db313f343ebe104c1c1054a4c2eb8.png

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

Wtf is the bus driver doing then? It should be no mask, don't get on and if you do then we won't be moving.

https://www.buses.co.uk/face-covering-guidance

Passengers should be aware that for those who can, the wearing of a face covering is a legal requirement and the Police may enforce this with fines. Bus drivers will not be responsible for enforcing this, requiring proof or issuing fines.

Exemptions include:

• Children under 11-years-old.
  • not being able to put on, wear or remove a face covering because of a physical or mental illness or impairment, or disability.
  • if putting on, wearing or removing a face covering will cause you severe distress.
  • if you are travelling with or providing assistance to someone who relies on lip reading to communicate.
  • to avoid harm or injury, or the risk of harm or injury, to yourself or others.
  • to avoid injury, or to escape a risk of harm, and you do not have a face covering with you.
  • to eat or drink, but only if you need to.
  • to take medication.
  • if a police officer or other official requests you remove your face covering.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Why on earth, with or without coronavirus, would anyone want to be on this beach? I just don’t get it.

169db313f343ebe104c1c1054a4c2eb8.png

y, n, n, n, n, n, n, n, n, n, n, n, n, n, n, n, n, n, n, n, n, n, n, n, n, n, n, n, n, n, n, n, n, n, n, n, n, n, n, n, n, n, n, n, n, n, n, n, n, n, n, n, n, n, n, n, n, n, n, n, n, n, n, n, n, n, n, n, n, n, n, n, n, n, n, n, n, n, n, n, n, n, n, n, n, n, n, n, n, n, n, n, n, n, n, n, n, n, n, n, n, n, n, n, n, n, n, n, n, n, n, n, n, n, n, n, n, n, n, n, n, n, n, n, n, n, n, n, n, n, n, n, n, n, n, n, n, n, n, n, n, n, n, n, n, n, n, n, n, n, n, n, n, n, n.

AlbionBro

Jun 6, 2020
It appears the young have no respect for their parents or grandparents any more.
I feel these sort of people who are having parties and big social gatherings are just costing everyone in one way or another.
Bound to be a lot more deaths now. Meanwhile I will stay locked in with my dog.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Department of Transport......" From 15 June it is the law that you must wear a face covering, when travelling in England, on a bus or coach ( plus other forms of transport ) If you do not wear a face covering, you will be breaking the law and could be fined £100 ( or £50 if paid in 14 days ) "

All pretty clear....well you would have thought so....until you dig a bit deeper and find out that Bus Operators have been given discretion on how they enforce this requirement. Operators contacted the Government and expressed their concern that their drivers could be involved in potential situations of conflict. They said they didn't want to be ' policemen ' So the responsibility was taken away from Bus Operators and handed to the police. A number of companies are now adopting an..' engage, explain, encourage ' strategy. I.e you are not wearing a mask, please try and wear one in the future...and don't let the police see you.

So it is law but its down to the poor bloody police to enforce it. You couldn't make it up, could you?

I don't use buses but would be interested to hear from anyone that does whether they've noticed any drivers trying to 'engage, explain and encourage'? My guess is they don't which seems a bit odd bearing in mind how many bus drivers have died from Covid!

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
It appears the young have no respect for their parents or grandparents any more.
I feel these sort of people who are having parties and big social gatherings are just costing everyone in one way or another.
Bound to be a lot more deaths now. Meanwhile I will stay locked in with my dog.

But I'm guessing it wasn't the young that were all driving their kids down to Bournemouth beach today! That said, the teenagers around here, in the main, couldn't give a damn about distancing.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here