Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Both goalscorers subbed

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
That Sami rates Gardner over Ince says more about Sami than either of the two players.

Gardner is LAZY. He isn't fit to wear the shirt and is clearly only here for the money. He is a waste of space and why Sami persists in playing him when he has a quality player sat on the bench is truly baffling.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Nothing wrong with the substitutions at all. Colunga was tiring, and KLL coming on late in a game usually has a positive impact. Baldock, his goal aside was poor, and can have no complaints in being sacrificed for fresh legs.

Fair enough on Colunga, especially given he played against Spurs and I want him to start against Wigan. I'm less convinced about the decision to take Baldock off. He didn't play against Spurs, and he'd just scored, the first time for us. I think that would have given him some confidence, and it might have made a difference. I also think that Tex had visibly tired, and that Gardner wasn't having a good game so would have made a different substitution.

mattislost

Dec 12, 2011
That Sami rates Gardner over Ince says more about Sami than either of the two players.

Gardner is LAZY. He isn't fit to wear the shirt and is clearly only here for the money. He is a waste of space and why Sami persists in playing him when he has a quality player sat on the bench is truly baffling.

Ince, quality?! Far from it. He is like bambi on ice. He has a bit of presence. That's about it

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
This is such an 'agenda' thread.

In the event of a substitute scoring at no point would a thread have been written in praise of the team management.

Prior to KLL coming on, Colunga had quietened down from his very lively start.
Bournemouth know all about Kaz, and he worried them.
He worried them into a booking, free kick (as usual), and a non penalty (even more usual).

CMS also had a couple of moves going for him.

No defence would have been happy to see those replacements, and yet it's still a massive stick to beat Sami with.

Anyone reading NSC, but not following football, over the last few weeks would be left thinking:-

'you've lost the last 12 games 5-0, and Sami is still manager'.
'No wonder you're angry'.

That's the positive spin. I would counter that with:

Texeirra (as normal was exhausted at 50-55 mins) and created nothing, there is an argument for KLL or McCourt.

If we were going for a point or preferably a win the most obvious other sub would have been McCourt or Ince for Gardner, who did absolutely nothing.

CMS had a couple of half chances, but nothing else of note and I think that was the wasted substitution.

Personally I thought they were poor substitutions and this is where Sami is missing a wiser head. Of course, if Hughes hadn't got injured he may have done something different.

I would not criticise Hyypia for this, yes they did both score but were they going to score again, not sure about that.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I would not criticise Hyypia for this, yes they did both score but were they going to score again, not sure about that.

Whilst hindsight is a wonderful thing, we did no better with them off the pitch. Had Texeirra who was a passenger and Bournemouth going through our non-existant midfield like a knife through butter in the latter part of the game.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
My intuition said it was a pre arranged plan, somewhat spoilt by the first injury. If Hughes had not have been injured , Sami would have brought both subs on.

I think Sami was about to try the same at Spurs, but right at that moment the defence lost concentration and lost the match.

The time may be 56 minutes not 67 minutes against Wigan. The idea is to give the opposition something different to worry about.

In neither case did it work. I don't think it is bad idea to change it around a bit, but better for the home matches, so we may see it again. I would like to see Lualua start and McCourt to come on. That does not mean taking Lualua off though. It means playing him wide as McCourt comes on.

Sort of Lualua playing the whole game and being an impact substitute.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here