Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Both goalscorers subbed

bobzam

Brighton 'til I die
Aug 13, 2008
Bristol
T'shearer did eff all second half and was screaming for McCourt to replace him. Baldock finally scores and no doubt boosts his confidence so we rip him off. Head scratching!!

Max Paper

Sunshiinnnnneeee
Nov 3, 2009
Testicles
I was listening to the game on the radio in the car with the family asleep and I suddenly thought exactly what the op said. Why take off the goal scorers? Seems extremely stupid when they had the chance to build on their confidence and maybe notch another one. I think Bloom is gonna give him the loan signings (EB and possibly a striker) and give him till the next interlull and if he doesn't turn it around, fire him and bring in someone else in time for January.

mreprice

Sep 12, 2010
Sydney, Australia
Usually Sami does like for like when chasing a game. Today he took off a striker for a midfielder. Then when we went behind didn't change things. Just crazy. At least Oscar played up to five attackers when behind with a few minutes to go.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Usually Sami does like for like when chasing a game. Today he took off a striker for a midfielder. Then when we went behind didn't change things. Just crazy. At least Oscar played up to five attackers when behind with a few minutes to go.

Hyypia has been playing Lualua as a wide (-ish, and coming inside frequently, swapping flanks occasionally) attacking player, swapping him for Colunga was like for like.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Lua Lua was weaker but Sami wasn't to guess that.

If he'd been paying attention on Wednesday night against Spurs he'd have seen Lua Lua doesn't look interested these days.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Hyypia has been playing Lualua as a wide (-ish, and coming inside frequently, swapping flanks occasionally) attacking player, swapping him for Colunga was like for like.

The trouble is he is playing KLL in a position/role where he is not comfortable. For me it's like trying to fit a square peg in a round hole.

Colunga looks at ease, darting behind defenders, whereas KLL rarely makes that type of run, which would put him in a one on one. See today's goal.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Tex was pooped, had to come off but Paddy should've replaced him
Baldock lost the ball several times, it was immediately after losing it again in a decent position that Sami took him off. Correct decision I thought but CMS was poor when he came on
Colunga should've stayed on
Gardner should not

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Nothing wrong with the substitutions at all. Colunga was tiring, and KLL coming on late in a game usually has a positive impact. Baldock, his goal aside was poor, and can have no complaints in being sacrificed for fresh legs.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
They were like-for-like(ish) substitutions. He wanted to give a fresh Lualua and CMS a chance to run at a tiring Bournemouth defence. I think they made one such run each - one led to a free kick and a booking, the other led to a dangerous cross that needed a better reaction from team mates. Didn't work out as well as planned, but the idea behind it was fine.
This.

Nothing wrong with the substitutions at all. Colunga was tiring, and KLL coming on late in a game usually has a positive impact. Baldock, his goal aside was poor, and can have no complaints in being sacrificed for fresh legs.

And this.

The players let Sami down on Saturday. He wasn't responsible for the og nor the penalty.

JCL - the new kid in town

Aug 23, 2011
It's a crazy policy. We need consistency and confidence. Therefore give them a full game when they score if they"re fit

Why would a player lose confidence after playing over an hour, i would understand if subbed in the first half but not when they've played over 2/3 of the match and its just to bring fresh legs on.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
This is such an 'agenda' thread.

In the event of a substitute scoring at no point would a thread have been written in praise of the team management.

Prior to KLL coming on, Colunga had quietened down from his very lively start.
Bournemouth know all about Kaz, and he worried them.
He worried them into a booking, free kick (as usual), and a non penalty (even more usual).

CMS also had a couple of moves going for him.

No defence would have been happy to see those replacements, and yet it's still a massive stick to beat Sami with.

Anyone reading NSC, but not following football, over the last few weeks would be left thinking:-

'you've lost the last 12 games 5-0, and Sami is still manager'.
'No wonder you're angry'.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here